Monday, May 14, 2012

RAOK Blitz! and First Love's

Hi, all! Happy Monday! After a two week hiatus, it's good to be back. The first draft of my new story is done and just in time for school to be out in a few weeks. Phew! Made it.

Today's a very special day because it marks the release of a writing guide I've been waiting to get my hands on. Most of you probably know Angela Ackerman and Becca Puglisi at The Bookshelf Muse. I don't know how often I refer to their blog when I'm writing, but it's a lot! Chock full of helpful info to help writers like me think outside the box. Today, they release their collection of character emotions for writers in book format! And to celebrate, they wanted to kick off with something that I very much believe in: Random Acts Of Kindness. Here's why:


A smile. An encouraging word. A thoughtful gesture. Each day people interact with us, help, and make our day a bit brighter and full. This is especially true in the Writing Community
Take a second to think about writers you know, like the critique partner who works with you to improve your manuscript. The writing friend who listens, supports and keeps you strong when times are tough. The author who generously offers council, advice and inspiration when asked.
So many people take the time to make us feel special, don't they? They comment on our blogs, re-tweet our posts, chat with us on forums and wish us Happy Birthday on Facebook.

Kindness ROCKS!
To commemorate the release of their book TheEmotion Thesaurus, Becca and Angela at The Bookshelf Muse are hosting a TITANIC Random Act Of Kindness BLITZ. And because I think KINDNESS is contagious, I'm participating too!


Today, I'm blitzing RAOKs on two very special teen writers who I think are just dripping with potential and promise. Jess McKendry over at Write, Skate, Dream and McKenzie McCann at The Ubiquitous Perspective, both of whom I've had the pleasure of reading their work. Jess and McKenzie  I will treat you each to the writing guide of your choice. You let me know which one you've been wanting to get your hands on, and it's yours. Because I believe in you both!


Do you know someone special that you'd like to randomly acknowledge? Don't be shy--come join us and celebrate! Send them an email, give them a shout out, or show your appreciation in another way. Kindness makes the world go round. :)
Becca and Angela have a special RAOK gift waiting for you as well, so hop on over to The Bookshelf Muse to pick it up.
Have you ever participated in or been the recipient of a Random Act Of Kindness?  Let me know in the comments!


Also, it's the First Love's Blogfest hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Click on the pic below to get to blogfest HDQ but first check out all my first loves:




MOVIE:  Okay so the first movie I ever truly fell in love with? I remember it well. I was eleven and I walked out of the theatre a changed kid. lol This one right here:

And in the fall, for the first time ever, I'm gonna treat that eleven year old kid to a trip to the Goon Docks in Oregon. Something I've dreamed of doing since I saw the movie way back then. I'm so excited!! Goonies never say die!

MUSIC/BAND: I was a kid in the 80s so all the great bands and music of the 60s and 70s had just slipped off the coolness radar. I didn't discover a love for music in that era til after high school. So when  I first fell in love with a band's music it was these guys right here:

And Kick just happened to be my fave of their albums. I'd blare INXS every morning before middle school while I was getting ready. lol . Never did get to see them in concert before Michael Hutchence's tragic death. But their music will always have a place in my heart ... 'cause we all have wings, but some of us don't know why.

BOOK: All my selections here are from when I was a kid, because that's really when we experience our first loves, IMO. Here's the first book I fell in love with that made me want to write stories too:


Thanks to Ms. Hinton for this fabulous tale that resonated with teen readers everywhere. I loved how she respected our intelligence and gave us a story that was raw and romantic and real all at the same time. 

PERSON: Now, this is a tough call. I could say my dear old dad was my first love--in a paternal way that all girls have for the first real guy in their lives. Or I could dredge up some ephemeral crushes throughout the middle school years, or the lengthier relationship in high school that served as a bit more profound, but why mention any of those when I can confirm without a doubt that any of those ideas of love were merely a drop in the bucket compared to the truest of true loves with my  hubby, who will always be first in my world:

So I know I've given you more than you ever wanted to read here, and if you stayed for the whole thing, you rock! Thank you!

Share some of your RAOK and first loves in the comments! I want to know everything! :) And don't forget about the awesome giveaways at The Bookshelf Muse !

48 comments:

Kyra Lennon said...

The Goonies and The Outsiders are popular choices today!

Carole Anne Carr said...

How marvellous to be able to visit the Goonies Dock. And you are probably right, our first love for the majority of us ladies was Father. :0)

Angeline Trevena said...

I totally love The Goonies. I have it on DVD and watch it all the time. My kids will grow up watching it too. Brilliant stuff!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure your husband will appreciate your choice! Cool that you'll get to visit the area where the Goonies was filmed.
Thanks for participating in my blogfest!

Suzi said...

I watch the Goonies when it's on TV sometimes. Still funny today.

The Outsiders was on my list too.

SA Larsenッ said...

Got to love Becca and Angela!! So happy for them.

I love your book choice. Nice!!

Miranda Hardy said...

Goonies was the greatest!

Good choice for RAOK. They are great girls with bright futures ahead of them both.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Love your gift!!! What a cool idea.
And I love the thesaurus. It's my new BFF.

I'm off to check out your giftees. :D

kmckendry said...

I never read the Outsiders. But I heard lots of people talk about it way back then. Maybe I'll have to pick it up.

I love the RAOK idea! You made Jess's day! :)

Jess said...

Oh, thank you so much!! I'm honored that you thought of me *blushes* :D

I've only seen the Goonies a few times, but I thought it was a really cool movie! Great first loves!

Have a wonderful day!

E. Arroyo said...

Great choice for RAOK...Congrats!

LTM said...

Awesome awesome awesome! Yay for Jess & McKenzie!!! :o) <3

Ahh, firsts. I never saw the Goonies, but the Outsiders was the first movie that really touched me. And not just b/c of all the hotties in it--LOL! :D That's close, right?

And Kick... good times. Yay for hubby! :o) <3

Mark K said...

Found the First Love just today - but won't post here, but feel free to nip over for a read :)

It's a difficult one, though, especially the First Love. But it's always interesting to read other peoples' thoughts and feelings on these things - yours equally so :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I remember reading The Outsiders for school when I was about 14, and then watching the film. We didn't really care about the story once Rob Lowe was on the screen though!

Danielle B. said...

Goonies! INXS! Outsiders! I just fell in love with you post!

Jay Noel said...

Wow, we have the exact same taste in books and movies!

LOVE The Goonies.

And for me, when I read The Outsiders in 8th grade, it had a profound effect on me as well. The fact that SE Hinton was a high schooler when she wrote it is inspiring.

The movie is also fantastic - and just full of young actors about to hit it BIG.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

I LOVE that your ROAK choices are teen writers!! #awesome

Libby said...

I did not read the Outsiders until I was an adult, but I did watch the movie a lot as a kid. :)

Nicole Zoltack said...

Goonies!

And great choices for your RAOK!

Old Kitty said...

Yay for The Outsiders and your wonderful hubby and for spreading so much kindness in blogland! take care
x

Christina Lee said...

Aww wonderful choices (And love what you said about your dad)!

Johanna Garth said...

I was just thinking about The Goonies as a perfect family movie night kind of movie!

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Oh wow cool of you to pass things on!
I'm glad to see you're back.

Angela Ackerman said...

Isn't it great when you meet someone and read their writing and just KNOW they are destined for big things? This is how I felt about Becca.

Thank you so much for doing this RAOK thing with us! I love all the lovely things being said about people today--this is the best part!

Angela

Nancy Thompson said...

Aha! The Outsiders was my first book love, too!! And I loved INXS. I was so sad when Michael Hutchins dies. He was so talented and unique. And way cute, too!

Dana said...

Fun post! INXS was awesome. :)

Cassie Mae said...

I love Jess and Mckenzie! They are hecka awesome!

And the Outsiders!!! Loved that book :)

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE The Outsiders! And we had the same movie! :D

INXS was an awesome band. :D

HWR Curator said...

total heck yes, check on all your loves...

We all love something...right!
Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
Howlin' Wolf Records: On-Line Magazine

cleemckenzie said...

Wow! Two big hops in one post! Loved them both!

cleemckenzie said...

Wow! Two big hops in one post! Loved them both!

Medeia Sharif said...

I've never seen The Goonies. I somehow missed it.

I loved INXS.

The writing community is indeed awesome.

Andrea Teagan said...

It is awesome to have a great hubby. Thanks for sharing your first loves. I too adore Goonies. Heyyyy youuu guyyyys..

:)

Robin said...

Great Post-so sweet about your hubby!
I love the Bookshelf Muse too!

Miriam Forster said...

What a great shoutout! I love teen authors, all the ones I know are amazing. :)

Susan Roebuck said...

Hi Pk - two blog challenges in one! I too am knocked away by the kindness within the writers community. Oh and INXS too - sad day when Michael H died :-(

fOIS In The City said...

This is like ships crossing in the night. I woke yesterday to a wonderful post where I was the lucky recipient of a "random act of kindness" and will receive a pound of an aromatic blend of Canadian decaf coffee from Laura Stanfill; then minding my own business, was also sent a great gift by Laura Drake of a packet of writing lessons from Margie Lawson (a great gift for a writer) ... I will follow up later this week with a post to send a random kindess to someone.

Please, my son devoured Hinton and my daughter had a crush on Matt Dillion and The Outsiders, the movie was our movie of the month for a year along with The Breakfast Club.

Books? Too many to mention; one of my favs is a selection for my book club next season: A Room With a View, by EM Forster. Movie? The Big Chill. Music? Hands down The Eagles.

PS: Your hubby is cute :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Goonies was a great movie! I need to rent it for my lids and pass the torch. And I was a big INXS fan back in the day. Great choices you have!

jamieayres said...

Hey, you guys!! Love the Goonies:) And love McKenzie McCann and The BOokshelf Muse-it's always open when I write!

McKenzie McCann said...

Thank you for the shout out, Pk! It means a lot to me.

I loved The Outsiders too. It's a fantastic book and totally engrossed me.

I'll send you an email about that guide.

Leslie Rose said...

Jess is a sweetheart. Great RAOK pick. I'll have to pop over and meet McKenzie. I think Mary Poppins was my first movie love. My brothers and I sang the songs for years.

William Kendall said...

Great picks!

I've never actually seen The Goonies...

Barbara said...

Aaaww, I absolutely loveeee your husband on the picture - cute smile :) Congratulations on your love!
Great post!

Sharing the Love!
English Speaking Zone

Lexa Cain said...

What great picks! You are obviously way cooler than me. Thanks for the RAOK love, so inspirational to read about. :-D

Cally Jackson said...

A fellow lover of the Goonies here! The first book that I really remember loving would be The Never-Ending Story. I can remember feeling so proud because the librarian said she wouldn't normally lend it to someone my age, but she'd make an exception for me. :-)

I'm planning to do a RAOK post too - just a little behind!

kmckendry said...

Just wanted to let you know I gave you a shout out on my blog today! :)

Donna Yates said...

Fun post, and welcome back.

Maryellen said...

I think your husband will be over the moon with your pick!
Fantastic choice for RAOK too :)