Thursday, June 14, 2012

First Kiss

Thanks for visiting! It's back to the blogfest, which seems to be everywhere this week.

On Monday, I blogged for the Never Surrender blogfest for Elana Johnson's new book, Surrender. Wow have you been around to some of those posts?? Such moving testaments of endurance. Definitely check them out if you can. My (very lighthearted) post is here, and you can get to the list of entrants from there. 

Then on Tuesday, I posted my first fight for the First Fight/ First Kiss blogfest for Dani and Jackie. You can find that post here. But first, read on below for my first kiss ....


I mentioned on Tuesday that my first actual fight with someone other than my brothers was in 7th grade. Well, coincidentally, my first kiss happened the same year. But, uh, not with the same dude. That'd be funny, though, right? 

Okay so my first kiss: I was 11 and this was way back in '85. I was into Prince and The Goonies and Madonna ... and my favorite outfit to wear was a pair of gray striped jeans and a matching denim vest, along with a bright red tee underneath. My hair was a mullet--parted in the middle and feathered on the sides, long in back. Oh and I had a pair of huge red plastic earrings that were numbers: a 1 in the right ear, and a 2 in the left ear. Oh yeah, I was pimping my style all over school, don't you know! 

LOL! If I had my album handy I'd scan a pic and post it. I'll work on that, but for now, use your imagination for the sheer awesomeness of 11 year old PK. 

Anyway, that was the hip thing back then, and I was workin' it. So, in 7th grade you don't really get serious with anyone, as you well know. It's all so new and the hormones are only just beginning to let you know they're working. My teacher in History class had recently moved me to another seat, right in front of a cute boy named Brian. After a few days of flirting back and forth, Brian asked me, just like this : "Will you go with me?"

Go where, right? Well if you're younger than 30 you may not know that was the lingo for "be my girlfriend." Yep, that was all it took. So I said "sure." And that was that. We were "going" together. lol

SO of course we talked on the phone at night (because we were boyfriend and girlfriend all of a sudden) and made our big plans to meet up at the skating rink. That's what we did back in the '80s in 7th grade. Every Friday night, if you were lucky, your parents would drop you off at the rink til about 11pm... but not to skate. We'd gotten too cool to skate, we'd just go to hangout.

So that Friday night I met Brian at the rink and we walked around and held hands til it was time to step outside. All the kids did it--at some point we'd get tired of being inside and walk the plaza where the rink was. It was a happening place for kids and there was an arcade at the next plaza over called Big Daddy's. (love that name) Of course we weren't allowed to walk from the rink to Big Daddy's at age 11, but we were all rebels and did it anyway. So as Brian and I were making our way to Big Daddy's, he stopped me at the crossover, shielded by a shrub, and we kissed. A real kiss with tongue. 

I remember it perfectly because I remember thinking, "This is really gross, he tastes funky."

Then that was it. We didn't kiss again for the rest of the night, and quite honestly, that was fine by me. I just wasn't ready for all that spit swapping. lol (not til 8th grade came around anyway)

Sad to say, about 2 weeks later, Brian and I called it quits. You know, the big break up. And I don't think I ever even saw him again after 7th grade. But he will always have an awkward place in my memory as my first kiss. lol

Okay, your turn. How old were you when you had your first kiss?? And did you like it or not?   

26 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I have missed the blogfest this week for personal reasons.
Enjoyed your post I was 17 when I had my first kiss I married him.

Yvonne.

Angeline Trevena said...

I was also a child of the 80s and have some cringeworthy photos of some very questionable fashion! I wish relationships remained that simple when we got older!

My first kiss was the first boy I loved. He played bass guitar in a band and that was just so cool. We're still friends now actually.

M.J. Fifield said...

Hahahaha... gotta love 80's fashion. I remember really being into all things neon back then.

My first kiss was in the second grade. I don't remember the boy's name (I want to say Travis but who knows) and we used to kiss a lot (no tongue) during recess. Until the teachers caught us and made sure we were never alone together after that.

Kyra Lennon said...

Haha, if someone had tried to tongue me at 11, I would have freaked out!!

I was 13 when I had my first kiss, and it was with a slightly older guy I met at a party. Yes, it was awkward lol!

Carla White said...

Everything about PK at age 11 in the '80s sounds amazing! Especially loving The Goonies! :)

I was 13 when I had my first kiss and I remember it being just as awkward and gross, especially because the guy who kissed me smoked - yuck! Nothing like kissing an ashtray to turn you off of kissing boys at such a young age.

Eliza Tilton said...

Fifthe grade. All our friends were in on this big planned kiss going down after recess. He walked past my classroom, I asked to use the bathroom and then met John by the bathrooms. We frenched for 30 seconds then went back to class. After, he told everyone I tasted like cheetos and was a bad kisser....

Laurel Garver said...

Love the skating rink description. In my town in '85, the skating rink turned into an under-21 dance club on Saturday nights. I and my friends would go boogie to Duran Duran with Sprite and pizza (I was 16 then, so could drive us all there).

My first kiss was at 13 on a church youth group trip, with a cute, freckled boy with the sweetest Southern accent. It was quite the novelty to a Pennsylvania girl. :-)

Libby said...

Awww, that's so cute, and brutally honest.

Mina Burrows said...

I love it. My first kiss was from a kid that I remember feeling like he kissed like a lizard. LOL. :)

Old Kitty said...

Kiss with tongue at 11?!?! I don't know about tasting funky but I'm sure when I was 11 I thought all boys smelled and looked funky!!!! LOL! What a great memory though - thanks for sharing! Take care
x

Suzi said...

Two weeks you guys made it. That is like sooo forever! I would've loved to see the picture, but you gave a pretty good description. Vests and mullets. How awful. :)

Madeline Jane said...

Wow, I didn't know that 7th grade in the 80's was so close to 7th grade in the 21st century. I think my whole entire perspective of the world has changed. ;) Love it!

Roger Lawrence said...

Talk abut sad and pathetic, but my first kiss wasn't until I was eighteen. Well worth the wait, though.

DL Hammons said...

Hmmmmm...tongue on the first kiss. The girls must be more advanced in your neck of the woods. :)

Heather Murphy said...

This brings back so many memories from the clothes to the music and of course the skating rink. That was THE place to be! Very cute story

Jackie said...

I'm with Kyra. I would've freaked out at age 11, too. LOL
I had a similar outfit, but wore concert T-shirts with it. :)

Thanks for joining our blogfest!

Carrie-Anne said...

I'm one of those ridiculously old-fashioned types who's going to be marrying the only boyfriend I've ever had. We got together when I was 28 and he was 31, but he didn't start kissing me till a bit over two and a half years in, in spite of having done everything else (long story). I'm only his third girlfriend as well, and he didn't have a girlfriend till he was 26. Part of me wishes I'd gotten to experience things like kissing and making out at a more "normal" age, but then I remember that it wouldn't fit with my character if I had been dating in junior high or kissed 10+ guys before finding the one.

Christina Williams said...

Oh I lived at the skating rink during middle school!:) My first kiss was I think the summer btwn 6th and 7th grade. And it was at church camp! Lol.

Danielle B. said...

This is great! The 80's were the years to forget for me. Awkwardness, finding myself, bff's one day, not bff's the next.
My first kiss was the fastest kiss I've ever had. I was 9. It has to be world record for quickest smooch.

William Kendall said...

It was when I was fifteen.

Donna Yates said...

My first serious kiss was when I was 11yr old too, but I thought it was pretty wonderful.

Cally Jackson said...

Bahaha. I love hearing stories like this. I thought my first 'pash' was pretty gross too.

Crystal Collier said...

LOL. Tongue on a first kiss is definitely NOT COOL. Especially that young. I love your sense of style though. Holy cow. Talk about flash backs.

Hope Roberson said...

That was great! I felt like I was walking along beside you and your radical outfit! I just commented on your first fight and told you about the boy I punched, well he ended up being my first kiss too a year later :) I remember he smelled so good, like laundry :)

Jess said...

Lol that's cute and awkward at the same time! Love that you went to the ice rink, even though you didn't skate :)

As for my first kiss... haven't had one yet. Not quite sure if that's good or bad, or if I should be embarrassed about that or not lol. Either way, that's the plain simple truth!

Christine Rains said...

What a fun and cute story! My first kiss didn't come until my second month away at college. Isn't that kind of sad?!