Monday, June 11, 2012

Never Surrender!

Hi there! And happy Monday to you! Summer is officially here. The kids are out of school and I managed to finish another story before the free childcare came to an end. Phew! Now I sit and wait for the reviews from beta readers. *bites fingernails*

This week is the epic blogfest for Elana Johnson and her new release:


Click on the pic for the blurb and see how you can order this YA dystopic tale.

For the blogfest, Elana wants bloggers to share a time when we never surrendered... when we refused to give up. Something inspirational. Well, rather than tell you about something I never surrendered, I wanted to share someone else's story who inspires me every day. Someone ... very unexpected ....


Okay, so not the best picture, but if you look square in the middle you'll see an oval with black and red. That's him. That's who inspires me. Yeah, right about now you're like, uh ...what??

Allow me to elucidate: That little guy in the web is some kind of garden crab spider. I haven't been able to find the actual name. He's pretty unique and he looks just like a crab. His back resembles an African tribal mask. Now, I'm no spider fan, but they do fascinate me, and their purpose on the earth is vital to our existence and comfort. But this little guy here likes to make his web inside my screened in pool area and use part of my lounge chair as foundation for the web.

Everyday, I'd move my chair just enough to sever the web, destroying half of it, and sending little spider guy back to the opposite side of his web, away from me. And every new morning, when I'd go out to my lounge chair to enjoy the sun, little spider guy was back. lol And I know at some point I should've just been annoyed with him and squashed him, but you know what?? I admired him. I thought, no matter how many times I destroy his web, he keeps rebuilding. There's a whole screened enclosure, not to mention yard, he could safely rebuild in and not have to worry about me. But he wants MY spot.

You have to admit, there's something really admirable about it. Little Spider Guy just won't give up. So what did I do? I learned to live with it. Yep. Now I don't disturb his web, I work around it. I figure he's just going to rebuild it anyway, and he's not bothering me ... on the contrary he's probably keeping the mosquitoes away. And to boot, he's offered me a daily inspiration to never surrender, to never give up til we get what we want. And in the writing/publishing world, that's a priceless mentality to have.

I leave you with an old song that was one of my faves as a kid, and appropriate for today:

How about you? Have a never surrender story you want to share? Don't forget to visit Elana's blog for other participants in the blogfest. What a great week to find encouragement! 

35 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I've seen this with spiders too. They will continually rebuild destroyed webs over and over again!

Sarah said...

It's interesting to think about, the line between determination and futility. I mean, part of me is admiring that little spider, and part of me is thinking--shouldn't he maybe relocate? Try something new? I think a combination of determination and flexibility is ideal ... but it's hard to explain that to a spider. :)

Kyra Lennon said...

LOL, I love your take on not surrendering! Spiders can certainly be persistent!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nice of you to let him be. Yeah, spiders are rather determined once they've staked a spot.

erica and christy said...

spiders and birds alike...very persistent, and once they make a decision about location...there's no changing their minds! christy

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I tip my hat to you for recognizing the little fellow's persistence and fortitude and not squishing him!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

You're better than me. I would have just moved the chair so he couldn't rebuild his web. But I do applaud the little dude.

Geez, I haven't seen that video in years. I used to love the song and Corey Hart.

SA Larsenッ said...

I love how you saw his perseverance and can apply it to life. And psst...can I just say this post gave me an awesome picture book idea!! You rawk!

Karen Walker said...

What a wonderful theme for a blogfest and launch of a book - and what a wonderful story you shared here. We can learn so much from nature if we just look at it differently, as you did.
Karen

Old Kitty said...

oh no please don't kill spiders! Awww they're just being spiders!

Glad this one inspired you to never surrender!

Yay for Elana too! Take care
x

LTM said...

LOL! Ahh, I love this story. I had a determined spider like that who used to build his web right outside the door on the side of my house. Read: the door we used ALL the time. It was constant, splat! Web in face. But he kept on rebuilding. Hmm... This is a great lesson. :D <3

Jay Noel said...

That is one weird looking web...

Corey Hart. Wow. Now that brings back some memories.

Sarah Allen said...

I love it! You can find inspiration from anywhere. And I love the song :)

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Matthew MacNish said...

Okay, this grosses me out, but I get your point. That is sure some determination!

Johanna Garth said...

I really want to read Surrender but I think I'd like to read the first one first. As for not surrendering, I have a few survivor spiders in my house like that too.

Madeline Jane said...

Aw, the cute little spider! I kinda want a writing buddy like that. I accidentally squished a little stinkbug on my desk the other day, but he didn't come back to life. So "never surrender" definitely doesn't apply to him. . . Great story! :)

Jess said...

Oh, what a cute story! I'm not a big fan of spiders, but I hate killing them. (And not just because I'm scared that somehow they'll climb up my hand before I squash it and bite me.) I actually think they're pretty cool when they're outside. But yep, they are totally stubborn and they never give up. That's a pretty good quality to have :)

Marsha Sigman said...

I am a live and let live sort of person when it comes to good spiders.

Not bees though. They better watch their back. I have a can of Raid and I am not afraid to use it.

Great post about never giving up!

Lexa Cain said...

I get occasional Daddy-long-legs building webs in my bathroom, and I thought I was the only weirdo who felt comfort in the thought he's eating mosquitoes and bugs. My hubby thinks I'm nuts, but I forbade him to kill it or take the web down. Spiders are great, just not in my bed ... but that's a story for another day. lol

welcome to my world of poetry said...

I don't mind small spiders but the ones with long furry legs that run fast one look at them and I'm gone.

Yvonne.

DL Hammons said...

I'm like you, I admire the little guys tenacity! What a terrific reminder for you....if you can stand spiders. :)

Aidyl Ewoh said...

Cool twist on the blogfest! Yep, never surrender stories are great! I wanted to write my own, I joined the blogfest. =)
~Aidyl

Heather Murphy said...

Cute story! I don't mind spiders either as long as they aren't on me :) And I loved Corey Hart in my younger years! I wonder what happened to him

Alleged Author said...

Spiders really are amazing, aren't they? They continue to build no matter the weather.

Donna Yates said...

You're nicer than me with spiders! They are resilient little guys, I think. Cute story.

MTeacress said...

The same thing happened in my flower garden - took the spider web down, and now it's back up. I haven't even seen the spider, but I know he's there. I've never seen one that looks like a crab. Interesting. Have a lovely week. :)

Sharon Bayliss said...

I love that story! We can learn great things in unexpected places. :)

Julie DeGuia said...

Cute story. At my house it is birds... they come back every year and build a nest in the eves of our house. Every. Year. And then they fly right over my head when I walk out the door and freak me out. I'll keep the birds, you can keep the spiders! :-)

Barbara said...

If that spider were anywhere near me, I would relocate! I’m very glad you haven’t squished him, but I don’t know how you live with him.

fOIS In The City said...

PK ... you gotta love the little guy for being so tenacious :) The only other determined spider I could stand was Charlotte !!

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hi, P.K. How have you been? That was a great story. Thanks for sharing. Spiders I can work around, too. Snakes and vermin would have been a whole another thing! I hope the week has been treating you and yours well, my friend. *waves*

-Jimmy

William Kendall said...

I imagine they start spinning a web whereever the best food source might be. If there's a lightbulb nearby, for example, on all night, lots of bugs will get caught in a web on their way towards that light. Becomes a buffet for the spider.

Barbara Watson said...

I hopped here from Elana's links, and I love finding inspiration in the little things, so THANK YOU!

Kimberly Gabriel said...

Stopping by from the blogfest....great story. I find myself strangely proud of Little Spider Guy! Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading this! *new follower*

Elana Johnson said...

Wow, who knew we could find admiration and perseverance in spiders?? Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to squash them next time...