Saturday, June 30, 2012

Pssst .... Yeah, you.... Come a little Closer

ha! Gotcha!

Summer's in full swing (and I'm still catching up on all your blogs) and most of my fellow Americans will be enjoying sun and fun as our Independence Day is right around the corner. I'm off to the beach today and will be spending some time with family over the next week.

I'll be back to post for Insecure Writers Support Group on Tuesday, but just wanted to take a quick opportunity to remind you all of something very important this summer in and around the water:


Well, you don't have to worry about that unless you're scuba diving off the coast of South Africa.


And this isn't likely to happen unless you're on hallucinogenic drugs.

BUT! (and on a much more serious note....)

Pediatric drownings are a huge concern, especially this time of year, and especially on holidays. Trust me, I know. My hubby is a firefighter on Florida's coast. He sees it ALL the time--far more often than he'd like. It's a tough tough scenario to be on a scene where a toddler or child has drowned and the family is beside themselves with panic and grief. All because they were sidetracked with guests and fun and thought someone else was paying attention.

Not trying to preach here, just hoping to remind my bloggie friends that if you're around water and there are children, PLEASE make sure someone is a designated watcher at ALL times. This goes for locking sliding glass doors and sealing doggie doors as well. It can happen so fast. And during the holidays is when it happens the MOST. It's so easy to assume someone else is watching.

Even if you don't have small children, if you're in the vicinity of small children around water, please take the time to make sure there's a designated watcher. You know the old saying about an ounce of prevention??? Yep, live it.

Okay, off my rant. Just want you all to be safe. It happens more than you'd ever want to know and it's always a horrible tragedy to everyone involved.

On a more positive note, it's the weekend! Yay! And it's finally stopped raining here after Tropical Storm Debby wreaked her havoc. If you're in Colorado, blessings and prayers for you. Where ever you may be, have a wonderful and safe weekend.

What's about you? Any news to share? You know I love to hear all about it, so spill it!! :) 

25 comments:

welcome to my world of poetry said...

The only news I have is I decided to change my template but whilst it's great on Chrome Internet Explorer has other ideas.

Enjoyed your post very much.

Yvonne.

Barbara Watson said...

Great reminders, Pk. Happy weekend and Independence Day to you too!

Misha Gericke said...

Hahahaha I love that picture of the divers. But yeah, if people dive in my corner of the world (False Bay, South Africa) that is indeed a very possible scenario.

In fact, about two months ago, a shark killed a young surfer a few miles from my house.

Anyway, on to the more likely scenario. It's so tragic when little kids get hurt or drown in the summer holidays. Often it wasn't bad parenting or anything like that. Just a moment of slipped attention and bad luck.

Have a wonderful Independence Day!

DL Hammons said...

Thanks for the reminder! I'm one of those parents whose constantly scanning the water for people in trouble.

And I do have news to share, but you'll have to wait until I post about it next week. :)

SA Larsenッ said...

Have a blast at the beach! Hope you don't meet any of those shark pictures along the way. lol ;D

William Kendall said...

My aunt and uncle have a backyard pool. They've got the whole thing fenced off, because you never really know.

Have a good Fourth of July!

Annalisa Crawford said...

Good call on the water safety - it's so awful that a lapse of concentration can have such tragic consquences.

My news is that I made it rain by buying sandals, pegging out washing and planning a BBQ all on the same day!

Norma Beishir said...

You're glad the rain's over, and up here we're praying for rain!

Shelly said...

Nothing to really spill other than my MS will be going into the hands of William for editing sometime next week. Our pool is a community one that is locked up. No one can get in if they don't know the code.

Shelly
http://secondhandshoesnovel.blogspot.com/

KarenG said...

Happy Fourth to you, and let's all be safe. Out West the big danger now is fire.

Roger Lawrence said...

Being one of those oppressive brits, I can't with clear conscience wish you a good Independence day. Besides, you're missing out on all that good tea. But have a good time anyway.
I wish we could have independence from the EU.

James Garcia Jr. said...

Good word, PK. My dad is retired law enforcement and I know some of the bad things that can happen.
I was thinking about turning off this laptop and getting in the water, but that first photo talked me out of it. *laughs*
I have some news to share, but it's a bit of a downer, so I'll save it. No worries! It's nothing to worry about, I'm doing fine and things will be better in my writing life for it.
Take care.

-Jimmy

T C Mckee said...

We've been holed up in a hotel today thanks to a terrible storm that knocked down trees and power lines but we're all okay and completely blessed. The pooch is blissful thanks to the AC. It was 90 inside our house. Poor thing.

Enjoy your time with your family at the beach. Family time is the best.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I always eagle eyed my kids when they swam. A designated watcher is a great idea. Love the wading pool/shark pic.

fOIS In The City said...

PK, moving to South Florida from NYC was a culture shock. But what shocked me were the number of children who drown each year down here. It's no joke. Fun in the sun can turn dark fast. Bless you for reminding folks ... watch them at all times. Actually, watch them in supermarkets, shopping malls and when you chatting with your girlfriends at lunch. Those tiny packages can be lifted right from under our noses.

I am taking a Margie Lawson six week course on Deep Editing, so this weekend and next, I'll be studying and doing critiques for classmates and learning ... good for me since I love to learn.

Everyone be safe and enjoy the Fourth ... above all be careful :)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Even now that our children and their friends are teens and tweens, we always have an adult on hand to watch. Accidents happen even to older children, especially with diving boards.

No news for me, although I am wondering if I might see a preliminary cover design from my publisher before the summer is out.

Donna Hole said...

Have a fun week off PK.

......dhole

Brinda said...

I went to Destin before Debby arrived. It was lovely. The advice for watching toddlers and children should be a heard by every family vacationing at the beach. I don't have a little one, but I saw far too many that looked unsupervised.

jamieayres.com said...

Great reminder! We're headed to Ft. Myers beach w/ some friends tomorrow:) So glad the sunshine is back!

erica and christy said...

We were tubing/pontooning/boating most of the day today and talking about just this issue. I always made my kids wear their life jackets at the beach, even if they were just playing in the sand - they got mad, but I knew that if I was reading and they fell off the end of the dock for any reason, they'd pop back up so I could fetch them out.
erica

Lexa Cain said...

Good post, PK. A rant about child safety isn't a rant, it's informative and necessary.

Jay Noel said...

I'm pretty weird about watching my kids near water. I have to have them in my sights when we're at the pool.

Teaching them how to swim too, which is always a good thing. At least tread water.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Hi P.K., I wondered if you would kindly feature my ebook free promotion giveaway, two children's books on your blog? for the 6th to 9th and the 12th to the 13th July please? Don't worry if that is a problem. Kind regards, Carole.

Donna Yates said...

I love that pic of the shark in the swimming pool. Of course, I'll never be able to get in my pool again. I can hear that music now...
Great reminder on the children swimming.

Anonymous said...

Brokersring.com - Learn how to turn $500 into $5,000 in a month!

[url=http://www.brokersring.com/]Make Money Online[/url] - The Secret Reveled with Binary Option

Binary Options is the way to [url=http://www.brokersring.com/]make money[/url] securely online