Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Goonies Never Say Die!

Happy Tuesday! Hope everyone had a nice weekend and Thanksgiving if you celebrated. On Sunday I turned 39 so I thought today would be a great day to post on my birthday treat to myself--which actually occurred last month.

When I was 11 I saw this movie called The Goonies in the theater and I walked out a change girl. Ah, youth! Since then, I don't know if I've ever had a feeling that compared to that one.

I mean, what more can you ask for than middle class kids finding a treasure map in an attic and setting out on an adventure?? Plus, the setting in Astoria, Oregon just called to me. I loved the houses, the rocky beaches, the rain. Everything about it made me wish I lived there, and I've always wanted to visit.



Last month I finally made the trek to Oregon for a writer's retreat hosted by the lovely and talented Carol Riggs. The retreat appealed to me because I know from Carol's blog what a great writer she is, and the price was ridiculously affordable. So Hubby and I tied in a family vacation with the retreat and spent the week in beautiful Oregon.

After a little online research, I found that, to this very day, The Goonies still has a cult following that visit the famed Goon docks house in Astoria. The owners of the house encourage it, actually. How cool is that?? My 7 and 6 year old came with us and I think were a little baffled why I cared about seeing the Goonies house, even though they've seen the movie, they just weren't old enough to appreciate.

But Astoria is probably one of the prettiest, uniquest towns in the U.S.  I've ever been to (besides Sausalito), and just as I suspected, I could easily envision myself living there and writing books. So in celebration of another bucket list accomplishment and my 39th birthday, I wanted to share some pictures with you:

The sign on the way up the hill to the Goonies house.

The Goonies house. (I wanna live there)

Almost all the houses in Astoria are gorgeous and unique with so much character.


The Goon docks


Beautiful Astoria neighborhoods

Bridge to Washington State


Famous Astoria column--actual stone etchings depicting the early settlers and Native Americans on the sides.

View from the top of the column after a kazillion stairs

The rich emerald forests of Oregon just blew my mind. Trees bigger than ever. SO amazing.

Goonies beach!! If only I would've had a doubloon!


 At Heceta Head Lighthouse

Our cabin in the woods. So rustic and fun. We had no TV and kids just had fun watching the fire and sleeping in the loft.
Beautiful Silver Falls. This state park gave me lots if inspiration for stories!

Famous Voodoo Donuts in Portland. The wait for donuts was 90minutes minimum so no, I didn't buy any. That's fellow blogger, McKenzie McCann on the bench next to my daughter.


And of course Powell's City of Books. Wow you can get lost in this place. Awesome book madness!

Carol Riggs. Stop by and say hello to Carol. She's a star! We had a super workshop / critique session in the quiet Aldersgate Retreat. So restful and productive.

Thanks for sharing my trip with me. I can honestly say it was worth the cross country trek in many ways. From fulfilling a childhood fantasy (no matter how silly) to meeting a few fellow blogger/ writer friends, to enjoying the gorgeous Oregonian scenery with my family, who never missed TV or internet one single time. :)

Oh, and if you don't know already, Trisha at Words & Stuff is doing a Baby Face Blogfest on Dec. 1 where bloggers post a picture of themselves in those chubby cheek years. Sign up today!

Have you ever been to Oregon? Is there somewhere you've always wanted to visit? Are you a Goonies fan too? What's on your bucket list? Please share ...


36 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been to Oregon but not Astoria. It is a beautiful state.
Now I want a Voodoo Donut!

Suzi said...

I loved the Goonies. The show still makes me laugh. My son is probably old enough to watch it and I'm sure he'll enjoy it too.

Never been to Oregon. It looks beautiful.

Jess said...

Wow, that's so beautiful! Very nice pictures :)

When we were in California over the summer, we went to Yosemite and the forests were just GORGEOUS.

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm embarrassed to say that I am an 80's child who's never seen The Goonies.

But I love Oregon and, like you, can see myself living and writing there quite happily.

Happy Birthday!

Old Kitty said...

I must have seen the Goonies but I just can't remember! LOL! But yay for such a fabulous trip - creative, fun and productive!! Take care
x

Carla White said...

Happy belated birthday and Thanksgiving! This is so awesome, PK! The Goonies is a beloved movie from my childhood as well and I had no idea you could visit all of these places in Oregon. So awesome that you got to do so. Gorgeous photos!

E.J. Wesley said...

First: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :-D

Second: I'm so jealous! "Sloth loves Chunk." Is still often quoted by me. What a beautiful trip.

Third: Sill jealous! You got to hang with Carol? Seriously, she's one of the rock star blogger/writers out there. So stinking smart.

Sound like a perfect trip.

Barbara Watson said...

What a great trip and what a beautiful place!

ilima said...

I am a huge Goonies fan. How fun! I'm fulfilling one of my bucket list items this weekend...seeing the Killers (my favorite band) live in concert. I can't wait!

Carol Riggs said...

SO glad you got to visit the beautiful state of Oregon! and me! :) What fun photos (tho mine was caught between smiles LOL). Aw, what a sweet comment from EJ!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Loved Goonies! And the setting was part of the charm and excitement of the film. Thanks for these photos, it really did look like the movie!

Michael Offutt, Speculative Fiction Author said...

Wasn't Astoria also the setting for Kindergarten Cop? The movie really paint a Norman Rockwell magical quality to this town. The truth is probably different than that of course.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

"Goonies" is timeless and fabulous. My kids loved the movie as much as I did!
(And I'd love to live in that house too!)

Sherry Ellis said...

I love the name, Goonies!

Thanks for sharing all those pictures!

Jolene Perry said...

GORGEOUS photos!

my brother lives in Portland, and I LOVE Oregon.

We drove through Astoria, but I didn't realize that the GOONIE house was there!

I really need to do some research before I visit my brother next time, b/c he doesn't care about that stuff, lol. Way too practical.

SA Larsenッ said...

I stinking LOVED The Goonies!! As a matter of fact, I just watched it last month with a few of my kids. Too funny, and man, did it bring back some middle grade memories. lol

Awesome photos. And how cool is it that you got to hang with Carol!

Catherine Stine said...

Looks like a super-fun trip. Love those Goondocks! I just saw Abe Lincoln, Vampire Slayer over the weekend, and it seems like a so-bad-it's-awesome classic. We laughed our fool heads off.

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

I'm a huge Goonies fan! I've never been to Oregon, but I want to go now! Those pictures are beautiful! Looks like you guys had a great time. :)

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

These were most inspiring pictures and a belated Happy Birthday.

Yvonne.

Candilynn Fite said...

Gorgeous photos! I loved the Goonies when I was younger. Actually, we still watch it now when it comes on the TV. :)

Crystal Licata said...

This just made my day! I love The Goonies! The movie does leave you with a special feeling that cannot be duplicated. The pics look just like the movie...amazing. Thanks for sharing.

Goonies Never Say Die
Crystal @ YA Society

Julie DeGuia said...

We live in Eastern WA state and also enjoy the Oregon coast... but we have only been to Newport and the Oregon Dunes (and loved it!) This is the second time this week I have heard about Powell's bookstore (had never heard of it before) and now I really want to go!

LOVED Goonies as well and now I think we have a movie for FFFFF (Fun Friday Family Film Fest) this weekend! Then next time we are on the Oregon coast maybe we will stop by the Goonies landmarks as well! Happy birthday!

Cally Jackson said...

Wow, your photos really capture the beauty of the location. Thanks for sharing. I've always been a huge Goonies fan and some of your photos took me right back to the movies.

One of my childhood dreams was to see Michael Jackson in concert - unfortunately I never got the opportunity to fulfil that one. I also wanted to become a crocodile farmer (god knows why). Think I might have to let that one slip me by too! :-)

fOIS In The City said...

PK, I could easily get lost in those photographs and YES by association with two kids, I am a Goonies fan !!

One of the sights on my bucket list is the high country in the Rockies. Did John Denver reverberate in my brain? Have I a need to visit the sight of a Dick Francis mystery in Banff, Canada and see Lake Louise? Yep. Want all that and more :)

Donna Yates said...

How fun was this trip! Thanks for sharing all those pics.

Norma Beishir said...

Happy Birthday, PK!

I remember The Goonies! Thank you for this reminder of a wonderful movie!

Lexa Cain said...

WOW!! The location scout for the movie deserves an Oscar for finding such a lovely, fascinating, and yet eerie place. I loved all your pics, and I'm glad you got to see something that meant so much to you. Great post! :-D

Budd said...

That is so cool. I had no idea you could visit the goonies house. Sounds like a great trip. Love the goonies as well.

jamieayres.com said...

Never been to Oregon, and it's been too long since I've watched Goonies. Think I need a movie night:-) Looks like a fun trip!

William Kendall said...

I've never seen The Goonies, actually.

And I must go to Oregon. There's so much I'd love to see...

Tammy Theriault said...

i love goonies!! watched growing up like every week on a copied version from tv...you know when you use to put tape on the vhs to copy it. hahaha

Trisha said...

I have indeed been to Oregon, on two separate occasions, but I had slightly different experiences to you I think. These pics are beautiful :)

Jay Noel said...

Whoa! Beautiful pics. No wonder my brother moved there and vowed to never come back.

I'm a big Goonies fan myself!

Jordy said...

Oh MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to go!!!!!!!! Goonies is one of my absolute FAVORITE movies. Wow, just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hi, PK. That's so cool. Thanks for sharing. No, I haven't been to Oregon and it's just north of us here in California. I really should visit one of these days. We do own The Goonies and my teenagers have seen it. That would be fun to visit.

-Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Brokersring.com - Learn how to turn $500 into $5,000 in a month!

[url=http://www.brokersring.com/]Make Money Online[/url] - The Secret Reveled with Binary Option

Binary Options is the way to [url=http://www.brokersring.com/]make money[/url] securely online