Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mrs. Peacock in the Conservatory with a Rope

That's right! It's time for another clue. But the title of the post won't help you. If you've been following my clues in hopes of winning an Out of Print tee shirt of your choice, as well as eBooks from each featured release, then today's the day to collect another.

Need all the deets and clues? No problem. Check out the posts here and here to find out how you can win. (Sheesh I sound like the back of a cereal box)

Today's release comes from Elizabeth Seckman on her Healing Summer tour. Elizabeth is hosting her own contest so be sure to check out her blog for another chance to win a $25 gift card. Just click on her name and head over for more info. And click on the book cover below to find out how you can purchase Healing Summer. But first! Read on ...


Maybe Love, Not Time, Heals All Wounds
Ditched at the altar…biopsied for cancer…Mollie Hinkle is having a bona fide bitch of a summer. When life sucks so hard it takes your breath away, what's a girl to do? Pack a bag, grab a few friends, and leave the past and the worry in the rear view mirror. What wounds can’t be healed by a drive across the Heartland, where quarter flips at cross roads determine the route and the future? All roads lead to Craig, the second son and bad boy of the haughty Coulter line. Has fate brought her to the miniscule Montana town to find happily ever after or will it just break her heart?
“Healing Summer” is the second book in the Coulter Men Series.



                                                                    * Escape

I thought we could get to know Elizabeth a little better so I asked her to share her bucket list with us, and how she started writing. Take it away, Elizabeth ....


Hmm…my bucket list.

Ever since I was a kid, I have had two dreams.
#1 I wanted to be a mom.
#2 I wanted to write.

In 1994, I had my first son and my bucket over-flowethed. I was on cloud nine. Nothing else mattered. Not even the writing. I loved the mom gig. I was so crazy about it that I had three more boys and was game for a few more when my husband drew the line in the sand with the mandate: NO MORE KIDS!

Then in 2006, my last baby went off to kindergarten. And my father-in-law was diagnosed with leukemia. A few months later my dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer…and within weeks, my brother was diagnosed with angiosarcoma…a rare, fast growing cancer that ended his life within months of diagnosis.

You know how you mull over things as you wait for the sandman? Well, my thoughts stunk and their stench was affecting my spirit, and it had to stop…because  I don’t roll like that. God didn’t put me on this earth to roll over. I had to find a purpose. But I couldn’t think of what could penetrate my gloom.

Then one day, I sat with my brother in the hospital, I was reading “Gone with the Wind”. A nurse asked me about it (shockingly…she’d NEVER read it!) Of course, I told her all about it…and about Margaret Mitchell and the history that influenced the story. The nurse probably regretted she made small talk. My brother excused my behavior with a snicker and, “My little sister always wanted to be a writer.”  *Insert epiphany here.*

From that moment on, in the time I usually spent dwelling over the bad things going on in my life…I plotted happy endings and fantasies far rosier than my reality. Stories came to life in spiral notebooks and on scrap pieces of paper. It was a distraction. Nothing more. I had zero plans of pursuing publication. Other people do that, not boring chicks from New Martinsville, West Virginia. Then I sent a letter to Dixie Browning (marvelous writer! She’s retired now, but has over two hundred books to her credit!) to request an autograph for my sister. After a few back and forth messages, Dixie offered to read a few pages. She sent me a letter, told me to watch my head hopping and mind reading. She said I had talent and if I studied and stuck with it, she had no doubt I could get published.

Every time I got a rejection, I’d think, “What do they know? Dixie said I could!”

That’s my bucket PK…it’s filled with boys and books and I couldn’t ask for more!

So awesome! Thanks, Elizabeth! Love hearing how writers find that nugget of encouragement to make it happen. And congrats on achieving your bucket list! 

Find Elizabeth on GoodReads, Facebook, and her blog

Thanks so much for stopping by! So what's on your bucket list? And how did you get started writing?


27 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

What a beginning - to take a depressing time in your life and make something positive come of it. Good for you, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Thanks Alex. It helps that I measure time in eternity.

J. A. Bennett said...

Beautiful post Elizabeth. Really inspires me to be better!

mshatch said...

wow, very inspiring! I have some places I'd really like to see on my bucket list but the top spot is reserved for my name in print.

Al Diaz said...

It's great what you've done, Elizabeth. Courage and Inspiration is needed to come out with such a resolution. congratulations.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

J.A.~ just never give up. We get better each day...just keep growing!

mshatch~may they all come true. Each and every one!

Al~ you said it better than I did.

Julie Luek said...

A lot of sadness for a catalyst of hope. Love your story Elizabeth and love the quote that "Dixie said I could." How important it is to find just one person who believes in us!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

You're so right Julie! And it helps when the person encouraging us is someone we respect and look up to. I was very fortunate!

Emily R. King said...

I always wanted to be a mom too, Elizabeth. But it wasn't until I became a young adult that I knew I wanted to write.

Love your cover!

*waves to PK*

Tammy Theriault said...

hey sparky, you are one fabulous girl! Dixie gets a high five slap from me. she's write, i mean right, you rock and "you're worth it" SNL line. love love

great question PK

DL Hammons said...

I just commented on somebody else blog that visiting New York during the holidays is on my bucket list. :)

Suzy Turner said...

A boring chick from West Virginia? Elizabeth, you are so incredibly far away from being boring, I assure you!
Add to that, you're a marvelous writer (I can tell from your blog posts but I WILL be reading your book, I promise!)
I love that your dreams came true. When I was growing up, I wanted nothing more than to be a 'yummy mummy' (I know, I read far too many gossip magazines). Sadly, it just wasn't meant to be for me but as a published author, at least I achieved my other dream).

Sheena-kay Graham said...

That's one great bucket Liz. Mine is filled with books, friends and writing. *cuddles it* Congrats on your latest book Liz.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

It was very nice getting to know more about you Elizabeth!

P.K: I love your header! I never saw it before. I never know how to do those things. lol

michelle said...

This is such a fun and inspirational post!
Thanks PK and Elizabeth.
...ooh, wouldn't it be lovely to bump into Dixie...

Romance Reader - Nas said...

A very beautiful post.

Congratulations Elizabeth!

Healing Summer sounds so interesting!

Nick Wilford said...

Nice to read about your beginning, and how something so positive came out of your heartache. Congrats on the book!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Elizabeth...

FIrst, I am sorry for your lose of family to caner. I lost both my parents and several aunts and uncles to cancer. Now some of my first cousins are being diagnosed. I HATE THIS DISEASE...

But you turned it a round and used it for good. CONGRATS!!!!! I love your positive attitude. And like Suzy said... BORING? HA!

Off to drop by your blog now!

Thanks PK for the interview and clue..

Leigh Covington said...

Amazing story Elizabeth. You are definitely the kind of person to find the sunshine on a cloudy day. This is so inspirational. Thanks for sharing. :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Tammy- loves to you too awesome saucy senorita!
DL- that would be awesome too!
Suzy- You're a sweetie. I'm glad you became an author too! Not quite sure what a yummy mummy is...
Sheena- we are lucky girls aren't we?
Jennifer- nice to meet you too!
Michelle- I'd love to bump into her too. She lives on the beach, so maybe while I'm on a morning stroll...
Nas and Nick- Thanks!
Michael- that breaks my heart for you. Cancer sucks. It really, really sucks. It can make a person paranoid too...but we have to beat it. It won't define or defeat us!

Ciara said...

What a way to turn sadness into something positive. Inspiring post.

Tara Tyler said...

yay for dixie!
those who scoff know no other way to make themselves feel better!
those who listen give them credit
those who ignore triumph!

so glad you did! keep going, elizabeth! (i have a bucket of boys too =)

fOIS In The City said...

PK, thanks for the introduction to Elizabeth. Elizabeth ... It might sound trite, but you took a dozen broken eggs and made a delicious fritada. Loss is so often nothing more than the beginning of a new gain ... endings and beginnings meld until it all stretchs into a lifetime of dreams come true, or moments not embraced. I think you've found a wonderful way to use both of those :)

Enache Amalia said...

http://onlywhiteandblack.blogspot.ro/

Lexa Cain said...

I don't know what's more amazing, that you have 4 sons and still find time to write, or that you overcame such sad circumstances and turned them into something inspiring. You have a fab agent now, so I think you're well on your way to achieving all your dreams. :-)

William Kendall said...

Terrific post, Elizabeth, and thank you for sharing.

I've been there myself. A brother passed away some years ago of cancer, and then last year, one of his sons passed away too of it.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Ciara, thank you.

Tara, it must be in the local water ;)

fOIS, not trite at all. Beautiful. I couldn't have said it better.

Lexa, I don't have an agent. I went small pub without a single regret.

William, thanks, nice to meet you.