Friday, March 29, 2013

A-Z, The Charge, & Bettie!

So in three days, bloggers around the sphere will be posting for the A-Z challenge. This will be my third year participating, and I've had a blast the last two. It's never too late to sign up. And it's not as hard as you may think. Short posts are the trend with A-Z and anything goes!

My first year I posted randomly on the letter of the day. Last year I used a theme of fave fictional characters from A-Z. This year I'm doing a combo of settings and villains. I couldn't decide which, so why not do them both, eh?

Both are equally important to a good story, and I'll be mentioning some of my faves and how they made it into my twisted little heart. <3

Speaking of settings, Sharon Bayliss is here today to lend some great info on hers. Her book, The Charge, is now out and it blends dystopia with alternate history. Check out her awesome trailer:


I asked Sharon specifically about her setting of an alternate Texas, and she's sharing some deets. Take it away, Sharon ...



Thank you to P.K. for welcoming me to her blog! I will be sharing the geography of the "other West" from the alternate world of The Charge.

In The Charge, Texas never joins the United States and instead becomes it's own nation -- a monarchy. At this time, much of the West was still under Mexican control. In the real timeline, the U.S. wins this land from Mexico in the Mexican-American War. However, in the alternate timeline, it's Texas that fights for this land and wins it, making much of the Western U.S. part of the Texas Empire.

The border of the Texas Empire is the border of Spanish Mexico created by the Adams-Onis Treaty (with the exception of Colorado – which was taken by the U.S. in the Gold War of 1858). The Empire includes all of real-world Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Oklahoma’s panhandle, part of Kansas, and a small part of Wyoming. Later, The Empire also acquired Louisiana and Arkansas during the Civil War.

Cool Map insert:




So would you be living in the Empire or the U.S. in the alternate world?

If you are living in the Empire, here is a guide to which territory you're living in:

Texas Territory – Shaped like the Republic of Texas from 1836 (see map above, that's right, the Lone Star State has lost it's recognizable shape in The Charge.)

New Mexico Territory – Shaped like the southern half of the New Mexico Territory from 1850, includes Arizona, New Mexico, and the bottom part of Nevada. Yes, there is no Arizona in The Charge. Sorry guys. :)

California Territory – Same as real modern-day California.

Territory of Deseret – Modern day Utah; In 1850, the second King of Texas, signed an agreement with Mormon leader Brigham Young to create the Territory of Deseret. If you know your history, you know that this is based on very real history. In 1849, LDS leaders proposed the State of Deseret but the U.S. never recognized it.

Nevada Territory – Most of modern-day Nevada; Although it seemed that Wilde’s handing over of land to Young was a sign of relinquishing control, Wilde had cards up his sleeve. He had his reasons for only giving Young the Eastern half of the Utah Territory. He knew that the western half included substantial gold and silver deposits, and made this land into the Nevada Territory and kept it under Wilde control.

Navajo Territory – The northern half of the New Mexico Territory; The second King of Texas signed over half of the New Mexico Territory to Navajo Chief Maneulito in 1858, in a treaty intending to end Navajo/Texan fighting in the New Mexico Territory, giving Maneulito Lordship over the area. This idea was inspired by the real Navajo nation.

Louisiana & Arkansas Territories - Shaped just like the real states.

So there you go! Did you find where you would be living in the alternate timeline?

Thanks again for having me! I hope you enjoyed the alternative take on the geography of the U.S., based on real history.


Thanks so much, Sharon! And wowsers! So much historical research goes into these types of stories. You can find and learn more about Sharon on her blog, Facebook, and Twitter.

Also click here to enter her rafflecopter giveaway!  Includes book swag, as well as Amazon and Stabucks gift cards!

And of course, you can purchase The Charge from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Also add it to your GoodReads list right here.

On a side note, there's a brand new pixie in the Pixie Patrol fairy faculty.

Introducing, Bettie Bookpage to the mix:



Keep those pages turning with Bettie at your side! Nothing worse than bothersome interruptions while trying to get a little reading in. That's why our resident voracious reader Bettie weaves her protective aura, offering the peace and quiet every bookworm needs. Bring on the adventure! Heat up the romance! Grab your book and slip away to another world because Bettie’s got your back.
You can find Bettie and all the Pixie Patrols by clicking on the icon in my sidebar, or learn more by clicking here. 
And the amazing Elizabeth Seckman is giving one away on her blogoversary! So head over and congratulate Elizabeth, and enter to win! 
Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm still trying to catch up with new followers since being blitzed, so if I haven't got to you yet, I will! I appreciate everyone who takes time to comment. Happy Easter weekend to those who celebrate! Are you doing A-Z? If so, do you have a theme? If not, do you plan on hopping around to others? 

25 comments:

Fida Islaih said...

I can't wait to learn from your A to Z!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Looking forward to your A to Z post.
Good luck.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Sharon!
Your theme is great, PK.
Have you recovered from the Blitz yet?
have a blessed Easter!

Mark Means said...

The Charge sounds very cool...I'm always intrigued by alternate history so I might have to give this one a closer look.

Sounds like you have a great theme...can't wait to see who you come up with :)

Barbara Watson said...

Best to you on the A-Z!

Interesting concept, Sharon. Two 'alternate' histories I think about for the U.S. are these: What if Lincoln and MLK Jr. hadn't been assassinated?

Old Kitty said...

Hello Bettie Bookpage!!! You'll look gorgeous in any book!

Yay for Sharon - what a great alternative history story!! Thanks for the history info too!

All the best with your A-Zing!! Take care
x

Al Diaz said...

I won't be missing your posts on April :D. Already signed to win one of your pixies. Happy Easter, PK!

Laura Eno said...

Settings and villians - great topics!
I like alternate history. I'll have to check out Sharon's book.

Robin said...

I read her post on writing alternate history the other day. The Charge sounds A-mazing. I can't wait to read it. Sharon is one smart kick a** writer.

Looking forward to your A to Z. I'll be talking about you on the 8th:D

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome A-Z theme, P.K. What an interesting concept, Sharon. I know a lot of people in Texas would like your idea of the country of Texas, including my husband.

Jess said...

What a great concept, Sharon! Love all the research that went into it :) Very cool A-Z challenge theme!

E.J. Wesley said...

Love the premise for Sharon's book! Living in Texas currently, I can say that many people here would love to be their own country still. :D (But they forget their history--it didn't go so well the first time they tried it. lol)

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, PK, HI, Sharon...

I agree with EJ.... great premise... CONGRATS...


Doing A-Z too ... third in a row too... Featuring intros for my theme... FUN!

LOVE the new Pixie... off to say hi to Elizabeth ....

FINALLY some HEAT in Florida...

When can we get together?

DL Hammons said...

The premise for Sharon's book is intriguing!

And I love the new Pixie! :)

Scarlett and James said...

Excellent premise for a book, Sharon! We like alternate history sort of material!

SA Larsenッ said...

I can't wait to read all about your villains!!! Got to love a good villain.

Lexa Cain said...

I'm a huge fan of setting and villains - I think they're as important as mc's. I can't wait to read your posts. And welcome to new little Bettie! :-)

LD Masterson said...

You've created a fascinating world, Sharon. Looking forward to following your A to Z, PK.

Happy Easter.

Sharon Bayliss said...

Thanks to everyone who commented! And thanks to P.K. for having me on the blog. Sounds like you have some cool A-Z posts coming up!

Gwen Tolios said...

Your A-Z theme sounds interesting, can't wait for tomorrow!

Jeff Hargett said...

Cool trailer, but you won me over with the map.

Looking forward to the A-Z posts, PK~

Trisha F said...

I still haven't chosen my theme...entirely. Pretty much decided but I dunno...I better decide by tomorrow! haha.

Your theme sounds great!!

Maria Dunn said...

Fun to consider what might have been alternative worlds. Interesting! God bless, Maria from Delight Directed Living

William Kendall said...

Excellent premise for a book, Sharon!

Anonymous said...

What's up, yeah this post is in fact nice and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.

Here is my homepage ... how much should i weigh for my height