Monday, April 1, 2013

A is For ...

Aardvarks! That's right, read on for everything you've ever wanted to know about the ant-eater ...

April Fools!

I wouldn't do that to you. I have a strict No Boredom rule on my blog, so no worries there. Kicking off the A-Z Challenge this year, and in honor of our lovely first letter of the alphabet, I'm posting on my favorite villains and/or settings, as well as a special thank you to  Arlee Bird.

Here's to you Arlee! For dreaming up this fantastic challenge that has connected so many bloggers around the sphere. Learn more about Arlee and the A-Z Challenge from the blog by clicking here.


Today, I'm talking about both setting and villain from the film, APOCOLYPTO!

First time I saw this film I was left with a very tense and not so warm cozy feeling. It's harsh, bloody, gruesome, and ultra-intense. Honestly, I didn't know whether I liked it or not, there was so much to take in and deal with.

Recently, I gave it another go. And I have to say, it's pretty brilliant in terms of stirring emotion. And that's what good stories do, right? Thought you'd agree.

SETTING:  Jungles of Yucatan Mexico during the early decline of the Mayan civilization. Why do I love this setting? Vivid greens, tropical rivers and waterfalls, teeming with wildlife. It really immerses you in the beauty of the jungle, and with no modern day technology present, it proves a good story doesn't need a lot of high-tech gadgetry to win fans. A great setting becomes a character itself, and this  one was in perfect contrast to the horrors man can (and does) induce.


Beautifully done, this setting becomes the ultimate weapon in the end for the main character, Jaguar Paw, and the only way he can beat his vicious assailants.

VILLAIN:  A good villain takes a lot to work to design. They need motives and flaws and relatability on some level.  I'm not sure I ever figured out exactly what those were for this guy, but he still remains one of the nastiest bad guys I've ever loved.

                                                        ("© Icon Distribution, Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

This guy gave me the willies and made me want to smack him all at the same time. MIDDLE EYE is the warrior who kills Jaguar Paw's father in front of him, and pretty much gives Jaguar Paw a relentlessly gut-wrenching run for his money, always with an evil smirk on his face. He reminded me why it's good to create the kind of villain that makes your last meal turnover in your stomach. Sometimes it's good to have characters we can hate, and in that way, they become unforgettable!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Hope to see you all month long. Leave a comment, so I can be sure to visit your blog as well. Have you seen Apocolypto? What did you think of it? Likes or dislikes? Have a fave villain you love to hate? Please share ...  

40 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We own the DVD but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. (I have no idea why - guess we need to watch it soon!)
Lee started something amazing with this Challenge.

Allyson Lindt said...

I didn't know what to expect when I saw this movie, but it was one of those that left a distinct, lingering impression. It was, as you said, harsh, bloody, and intense. It was a fantastically told story, for all the reasons you listed.

Though I am a bit disappointed you don't really have anteaters here today ;-)

____

Find me:
Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
Twitter: @AllysonLindt

Old Kitty said...

Apocalypto is on catch up TV over here so maybe I'll give that a go after reading your blog!! Ooooh this villain does look scary and so boo-hiss worthy! Yay!!

Awww aardvarks aren't boring! They're just misunderstood! LOL!! Take care
x

Laura said...

I've seen it several times- distinctly unsettling viewing!
Try Lawless - saw that last night and had the same "uneasy can't take my eyes off him" villain
Lx

Blogging AtoZ @ChickLitLove

Summer Ross said...

I have yet to see it but from the picture and your description- I'm sure he makes a great bad guy. Thanks for sharing!
~Summer
A-Z

Natalie Aguirre said...

Hadn't heard of this one. Love the setting.

Robin said...

I've never seen Apocolypto. The picture of him has me thinking about Last of the Mohicans.
It's my first time doing A to Z (hopefully I'll survive to the end)

And I'm weird. I would have enjoyed reading about Aardvarks-lol

DL Hammons said...

I've only seen this once, so maybe its worth a second dip?!

Arlee ROCKS!! 'Nuff said.

E.J. Wesley said...

Arlee is awesome, and a perfect choice to launch your A-Z! :) I enjoyed Apocalypto--didn't love it.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

And here I was so excited about learning more Aardvark lore.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

And here I was so excited about learning more Aardvark lore.

Kal said...

I am big and strong but that movie I don't want to see. I would be the first guy that they would catch in a foot race. I don't need to see that because it won't eld well for me.

Good luck with the rest of your month.

My favorite villain I love to hate is Hannibal Lecter. Did you see the trailers for the new TV series. Horrifying.

M.J. Fifield said...

I did see Aardvarks on one post.

Haven't seen Apocalypto. I remember thinking it would be cool, but then never got around to watching it.

And hooray for Arlee!

Mark Means said...

I haven't seen this one yet, but you make it sound pretty interesting, for sure :)

An who says Aardvarks are boring??

O.k...they are, but still... :)

Michelle said...

Hey, you just cut me short! I thought I was gonna learn something about the aardvark!
JUST JOKING!
Lee is the natural choice for the A-post amongst lots of bloggers.
Jungle setting? It always carries an element of danger/mystery...

Al Diaz said...

I saw it but what really ticked many of us off is that it doesn't do justice to the Mayan culture. We didn't like Mel Gibson's approach on those regards (some of us felt offended) but other than that the movie is ok.

Dani said...

Oh gosh I love that movie!!!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Yes Lee certainly had a brainwave as my poem in the challenge will tell.
I really enjoyed your post and found it very interesting.

Yvonne.

Barbara Watson said...

I haven't seen this but the setting intrigues me.

Julie Flanders said...

Haven't seen this movie, but it sounds intriguing. I always love villains, so this is a great theme to me.

Amazing what Lee started!

Susan Kane said...

I saw this movie, by accident. My husband watches all sorts of scary stuff. I now have a TV of my own.

Scarlett and James said...

We haven't seen it ourselves. It's post Mel losing his mind... and we didn't care for Passion of the Christ either, and word had it this was even more gory.

Christine Rains said...

It's been so long since I've watched this movie. Great choice to start off the Challenge!

Heather M. Gardner said...

I just read a whole A to Z blog post on Aardvarks. No joke.

I haven't seen this movie but it does sound interesting. I like when movies make you squirm!

HMG

Carol Kilgore said...

Haven't seen this movie. I agree about good villains. Hannibal Lechter, Darth Vader, Cruella DeVille come to mind.

Lexa Cain said...

I was left feeling ambivalent about Apocalypto, too. To save time on the A-Z post, you should picked Armageddon -- in that one, the setting and the villain are the same: the asteroid! lol

Laura Eno said...

I'm switching over to a new reader and looking forward to harrassing you about aardvarks when I fell down the rabbit hole - literally! (I guess I clicked on your name instead of the post title)
So now I'll harrass you about adding a blog link to your rabbit page that says "Blog/About Me. :)

Laura Eno – A Shift in Dimensions

William Kendall said...

I haven't seen it, no... something about Mel's descent into lunacy turned me off.

Jeff Hargett said...

And here I was all excited to learn everything I ever wanted to know about aardvarks. I'll just grab my armadillo and go sulk in the corner now, thank you. :-)

I'll have to check out Apocolypto.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I haven't seen it yet, but it's the type of film that's my cup of tea.

I tend to really love gray characters, or characters who are complex/not exactly shiny-heroic/not exactly black-villainous. My favorite gray characters are Sir Guy of Gisborne on BBC's Robin Hood (played by Richard Armitage) and Vladimir Korf on Bednaya Nastya (Poor Nastya), a Russian historical drama series which you can find subtitled in English on Viki.com.

LD Masterson said...

No aardvarks? But I really wanted...to...know...

Cathrina Constantine said...

Just stopping by to learn more on the A to Z Challenge since this is my first year. I thought aardvarks would have been cool. I did the movie and it was gross and disturbing. Good Post.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Sorry, I said I did the movie, hahahaa, should have been I did see the movie.

Michael Di Gesu said...

As always I adore your sense of humor... I can actually see your mischievous grin as you wrote that first paragraph!

Can't wait to see you! And Sheri'scoming down.... YAY!!!!!

Trisha F said...

Aww, aardvarks might be cute though :)

Seriously, I haven't seen this movie but it sounds scary in parts for sure!

Mark Murata said...

Many of the actors in Apocalypto were not professional actors, but people who lived in the area, to give it an authentic feel.

Damyanti said...

I couldn't bear to watch the movie at a go, but I still can't forget the smirk you mention. Scary.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Haven't seen this one yet...will have to get on that! :)

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

The movies sounds familiar, but I don't remember it at all. But a "good" villain is one of my favorite characters to write. :)

Betty Alark said...

I watched APOCOLYPTO at least 5 times. I thought the movie was incredible! It offered a little bit of everything; even humor!

Jaguar Paw was funny. To me he was a try to be villian- hahaha.

Excellent theme!