Tuesday, April 2, 2013

B is for ...

Happy B Day! 

And thanks so much for stopping by! In continuing my monthly theme of villains and/or settings, and in honor of the voluptuous letter B, today boats two sinister and creeptastic villains:

The Baron 
                                                           (photo credit IMDB.com)

From Frank Herbert's Dune, this guy is the epitome of disgusting. Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is grossly overweight to a point he requires a device to hold some of the weight for him. His face is covered with gruesome pustules in the 1984 film, which is a bit different from the novel. Pompous and flamboyant, the baron's cruelty is matched only by his clever manipulation of the weak. Whether the novel, original film, or TV series, this is one villain I wouldn't even want to be caught dead with.

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE

                                                        (photo credit fanpop.com)

The perfectly witchy Bellatrix from Harry Potter. Cousin to Sirius Black, as well as his murderer, Bellatrix is a tried and true Death Eater. Proficient in the Dark Arts and extremely powerful, she never hesitates to use the Unforgivable Curses so she can watch her victims endure torture with a twinkle in her eye. Even her own family holds no weight over her long term desire and goal to win favor in the eyes of Lord Voldemort.  Brilliantly played by Helena Bonham Carter. (love her)

And I can't let B day slip away without mentioning Pixie Patrol's very own B addition, though she's hardly a villain, she makes an excellent companion for any reader:

BETTIE BOOKPAGE

 Find her and the entire handmade fairy faculty on the Pixie Patrol link on my sidebar.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Do you have a favorite B villain? How do you feel about the Baron and Bellatrix? Please share ...

35 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Everyone in the theater cheered when Bellatrix was killed!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Some of these I have never heard of but it was good to read, a great "B" subject.

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Cool theme, Pk. Not participating this year but had to stop by to say hi.
Karen

Old Kitty said...

Oh love the divine Helena!! Definitely EW to the Baron! take care
x

Robin said...

Boo-Bellatrix-Boo

Excellent villians, PK. Keep 'em coming:D

Al Diaz said...

I don't know the baron but I did love the villain Bellatrix (well, loved to hate her.) Excellent acting.

Thank you for your visit today!! And I sent you my answer about Apocalypto. Have a wonderful B day!!

Jess said...

Ooooo (or should I say Booooo!), great choices!

KatieO said...

Great choices! Love the theme!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

That Harkonnen creep looked exactly like I imagined him when I read Dune!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Belletrix is a great one. Glad you didn't forget her.

KC Weldon said...

I love Bellatrix. She's one of my favorite villains of all time.

KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

Roger Lawrence said...

Never heard of the other two but the evil Baron is my all time favourite scumbag.

D.G. Hudson said...

The Baron Harkonnen was evil. He got that disease from an Bene Gesserit 'witch' who needed his assistance for a genetic project. He was rude, and she gave him something to remember her by. . . Nice choice of a B word!

Not that fond of Bellatrix, but she does get one's attention.

M.J. Fifield said...

Oh, Bellatrix. She was a terrific villain.

I've never read/seen Dune, so the Baron is completely unknown to me.

Elise Fallson said...

BETTIE BOOKPAGE is so cute!

Don't know The Baron, but Bane sure was a pain in Batman's backside.
(:

A-Z participant blogging from Elise Fallson

Susan Kane said...

When the Baron was punctured and flew away like a crazy balloon, I cheered.

T. Drecker said...

I'd forgotten all about the Baron! He made me shiver. And Bettie is cute :)

Melissa Sugar said...

I love your theme. I can think of two villains with the letter B (if you count the word baby) Baby Jane, in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane and Roy Batty from Bladerunner. Oh, I just thought of another one. Norman Bates from Psycho. I thought of him because my kids are addicted to that new television series, Norman Bates, or The Bates Motel, I can't remember what it is called. I will check back again tomorrow.

klahanie said...

Hey PK,

Finally, I have arrived to leave a comment :) The Baron looks remarkably like one of my neighbours...

Have fun with the alphabet challenge.

Gary :)

Laura said...

Urgh - the baron looks disgusting- I've never come across him before. But Bellatrix was an interesting baddy!
Lx

Nick Wilford said...

The Baron is certainly gross! Lovely pixie though.

S.K. Anthony said...

Oh Bellatrix... Molly got her good ;)

Mark Means said...

Back when I lived in the Cincinnati area, I used to listen to a radio station called WEBN. They had a D.J. called "The Fatman" and they would always play that clip from Dune where he says "Bring in that floating, fat man".

For years, I had no idea where that came from and, after I found out, always thought of the Baron.

Marsha Sigman said...

Ewww. Always hated that Baron guy. Honestly thought the Duke was hot.ha But Bellatrix (Helena Bonham Carter) is AWESOME in everything she does. Definitely my favorite B villain.

Stephsco said...

Bellatrix is a great villian. I dressed as her for Halloween once, but it was sort of last minute. I couldn't quite get the hair that wacky!

Hope you're having fun with the A to Z Challenge! Here's mine for today: A Girl and her Diary

Heather M. Gardner said...

I have a love/hate relationship with Ms. Bonham Carter. I think that's the way she likes it too. :)

Excellent post.
HMG

Fida Islaih said...

Ooo... BELLATRIX LESTRANGE, an evilly cool villain. I think she's one of the few villains I love (-:

Jeff Hargett said...

Absolute excellent choices here--both of them. I loved hating them both!!

Lexie C. said...

Two great villians! I love Helena Bonham Carter too- she rocks as Bellatrix.

Adorable fairy! :)

Mark Murata said...

Ah yes. Baron Harkonnen. Do you remember the scene where he told one of his nephews to squeeze Dune, while at the same time he was squeezing the nephew's face, who was busy chewing some raw meat? That leaves an impression.

Nancy Jardine said...

The Baron was a very creepy and disgust-worthy character in Dune. Very memorable, though.

noonebutabloghead said...

I think I've only seen the first Harry Potter, but I love HBC in everything I've seen her in.
Just the right amount of insane!

Betty Alark said...

Excellent theme!

I've never seen Baron. I have seen most of the Harry Potter movies. Can't really think of a villian for the letter B that I know of.

Of course Batman/Joker if that counts!


Great work! Enjoy the challenge!

Eliza Tilton said...

The baron! Great choice. His puss pockets are so nasty

William Kendall said...

I've seen snippets of Dune... enough to be convinced it would have made more sense if one was high.

And Bellatrix? How can we not like her? Aside from the whole crazy as a mad hatter thing? Granted, that's my Helena fondness talking....