Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C is for ...

Happy C Day!

In keeping with my monthly villain and setting theme, today I'm posting about my all time favorite villain:


                                  Count Dracula

Oh yes. Pure genius. Bram Stoker's story of Dracula is about the ultimate villain. And although the most recent film adaptation differs a great deal from the novel, Gary Oldman is scrumptious as the Count Vampyr. Why do I love Count Dracula? Well before all the teen vampire stories drove pop culture, this guy here was THE mythical baddie when it came to bloodsuckers.

And the character of Dracula is so deliciously dangerous, all while observing proper royal etiquette as any Count should. Love the contrast there. I especially loved how in the most recent film adaptation, there was a strong element of romance, and in some ways, I prefer that screenplay over the ending of the actual novel.

Why? Because the evil Count was a man hopelessly in love with his wife and only death would cure him of it. That softens his villainy, and gives him a swoon-worthy goal.

And in the spirit of Count Dracula, using the setting of a castle is always a treat for readers, or filmgoers.

Castles like Dracula, or Hogwarts, or the many ones featured in period piece stories offer a certain prestige . What about a setting that uses an ancient castle, but filled inside with modern day gadgetry? Or an underwater castle? Castle in the sky? Outer space? Underground? Many possibilities. Wherever you put a castle, it'll offer your story a familiar and majestic foundation for your setting.

Hope you enjoyed my C villain and setting. And also in honor of the curvaceous letter C, here's another pixie:

CLEMENTINE CLOCKWORK (Pixie Patrol's very own resident steampunk pixie)


How about you? Do you have a fave C villain? What about a fave castle? Please share ...

23 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Good "C" post. most enjoyable to read.

Yvonne.

M.J. Fifield said...

I've never actually seen the Gary Oldman Dracula movie, but I had a close friend who used to be obsessed with it.

But I am all about castles.

Nancy Jardine said...

Great castles questions!

Betty Alark said...

Wow! I simple loved that Dracula movie. It was the best of all times!

Thanks for bringing that one back to memory!

Great one for the letter, c!

Enjoy the challenge!!

Nick Wilford said...

Counts and castles, good double topic. I agree that vampires have become a bit watered down lately. Clementine looks cool!

J.L. Murphey said...

Clementine looks interesting.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Excellent choice! It may not have followed the book exactly, but Oldman made a great Dracula in that movie.

Suzi said...

Sadly, I've never read the 'real' Dracula. I think I have the book downstairs, but just haven't gotten around to it. I really need to.

SA Larsenッ said...

Great, great topic! Love Count Dracula. Although, my brain tends to refer to him as simply "Dracula". If I add the "Count" in there, all I think of is Sesame Street.

Allyson Lindt said...

Gary Oldman as the Count = absolutely brilliant. And there's just something about a castle that makes for a vastly versatile setting.

____

Find me:
Blog: http://allysonlindt.com
email: Allyson.Lindt@gmail.com
Twitter: @AllysonLindt

Robin said...

I've never read the book, but seen a lot of movies and creeptastic castles. Great C choice:D

Mark Means said...

Ah...Count Dracula...I remember when vampires were scary... :)

Beth said...

You got a famous villain today!

nutschell said...

never seen that version of dracula. But all dracula movies are scary as heck!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Al Diaz said...

I absolutely love castles! The older and darker, the better. That Count Dracula wasn't among my favorites. Don't know exactly why, but I found him specifically sort of repulsive.
Have a great day, PK!

Melissa Bradley said...

Cool post. I LOVE Dracula and that version of the count is one of my favorites.

Castles are anything windswept on a shore, like the tumbledown castle on the shores of Loch Ness.

Michelle said...

Count Dracula is very famous... even I know him! LOL

Heather M. Gardner said...

I miss the old vampires. The ones that killed people. They were my favorite!
HMG

Denise said...

Excellent idea with the castle setting! Dracula was a great movie and book.

Denise at Organization and Inspiration for Fellow Writers, participant of A to Z Blogging Challenge

LD Masterson said...

I guess I'm too old school. I don't think vampires are supposed to be romantic. They're supposed to be creepy and scary. Bela Lugosy, anyone?

LM Preston said...

I totally am in love with your A to Z challenge today. Not to mention I've had a long standing crush/fright for your villain mentioned today.

fOIS In The City said...

Had to respond to "I guess I'm too old school. I don't think vampires are supposed to be romantic. They're supposed to be creepy and scary. Bela Lugosy, anyone?"

The book and the original story of Dracula is of a man who "charms" women into becoming his nightly meal :) Many villians are both frightening and appealing.

William Kendall said...

As castles go, the Tower of London has a lot of history to it... just the sort of thing to inspire the writer!