Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for ...

Can you think of a villain beginning with the letter D??

                                                   (photo credit CaptainAwkward.com)

DUH!
Probably the most popular villain of all time, Darth Vader lives in the memory of anyone who sees the Star Wars saga--which is pretty much anyone passing by you on the street at this point. Why is he so memorable? For me, it's his story, because in all honesty, I never found him scary--just kinda heartless.

But his story is the ultimate redemption--the bad guy turning good, and I love how we saw the fourth episode first (those of us who are older than thirty) since we had no idea who Darth Vader was, or what he'd become. It made for a dazzling space opera between good and evil.

Then, of course as we learn who Darth is, we get a bit of sympathy for the guy. Maybe there's hope for him afterall, and that Skywalker kid sure believes it! Villains we understand make the best ones of all. Poor misunderstood Darth Vader. :(

Of course, I loved watching his beginning story as Anakin Skywalker, even though I didn't love the first three episodes like I do the last three, they were important in Darth Vader's story and helped us understand his quest for power, and the manipulation he endured from the Emperor. (Check back tomorrow on E day for more on him.)

Also, making an appearance today for D Day is none other than ...

                                                            (photo credit Hark.com)

The Dalek!

From Doctor Who, these bad guys never stop showing up. Probably because they're so darn invincible and creeptastic. Or it could be that their the Time Lords' lifelong mortal enemy. Sure their outside armor may not be so sinister, but wait til you get a look at the squirmy alien inside! Ewww. Each one individually mobile, these guys work together like bees and can swarm Earth or any other planet any time, exterminating all life for their own personal gain. Watch out for their plunger appendage because they'll suck your face off!!!

SETTING

For my setting today, and in honor of the sturdy letter D, I'm talking about Dagobah.

                                            (photo credit TheChristianNerd.com)

Wow talk about great settings! I've always had a thing for Dagobah, a swamp covered planet in the outer rim--a forgotten world where a Jedi master could comfortably retire. You know, the place where Obi Wan Kenobi instructed Luke Skywalker to visit while he was freezing to death?? Yep that's the one, and later Luke meets his greatest mentor Yoda.

The marshy, moist, foggy setting may be why Empire Strikes Back is my favorite of all the Star Wars. Something about this setting draws me in, and when great settings do that, they become unforgettable in the audience's mind--makes them return again and again. And since Dagobah is completely fictitious, it just goes to show what you can do by dreaming up your own planet.

Worldbuilding is a must for fantasy/sci-fi writers, and Dagobah is an excellent inspiration. Also, I've found that watching plenty of nature movies, especially the BBC series Planet Earth, works well. Our own nature and cultures offer plenty of inspiration for the best of worldbuilding.

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'm behind in my blog visits but I'll be catching up, so pardon me if I'm late to your blog, but leave a comment so I can be sure to stop by! Do you have a fave D villain or setting? How's your D Day going? 

28 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Well you've got two of my fave villains so I'll opt for... Dracula! LOL! Take care
x

J.L. Murphey said...

Yep, those are the ones. Did you know the word Dagobah also refers to a temple which houses the bones of Buddah. Just an interesting factoid.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great "D" post, I loved watching Darth Vada when star wars first came on the scene.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Darth was a classic villain.
Don't feel bad - after yesterday's IWSG, I am WAY behind.

M.J. Fifield said...

Now I have the Imperial March in my head.

One of my favorite D villains is Dr. Doofenschmirtz from the show Phineus & Ferb.

Robin said...

Oh man, Darth Vadar is the perfect choice for D. My favorite D setting is Damaria (from Robin McKinley's The Blue Sword and The Hero and the Crown)

Candilynn Fite said...

Just stopping in to say hello! I'm not participating in A to Z, but wanted to cheer you on. :)

Shelly said...

Excellent, excellent post! Enjoyed your take on Darth Vador.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Mark Means said...

Wow..I -knew- this was the right blog to follow! When I saw the title, I was thinking "I wonder if she'll include....?" and, just then, I saw the picture of the Dalek :)

Both are great villains and the only other thing I have to say is...

EXTERMINATE!!!!

Jess said...

My four-year-old has watched Star Wars (with some fast-forwarding in the intense parts) with her dad and she LOVES Darth Vadar. Should I be worried? ;)

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Great D villains! Those Daleks are full on creep and I agree about learning about Anakin Skywalker's younger days was so important to the story.

D.G. Hudson said...

Darth is a character we will never forget, much more presence than the Emperor. Great choice of a D word. (but he did seem mostly heartless. . .)

T. Drecker said...

The Dalek and Darthvader are two of my favorite! Great choices :)

Al Diaz said...

I loved Darth Vader as villain. One of the best ever! And all the training in Dagobah was very good. I wouldn't go on vacation but yes, I think the setting is great.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Vader. We are big fans.

I always felt cold & damp watching the Dagobah scenes. I found it creepy but I guess that was what I was supposed to feel.

Great post.
HMG

Elizabeth Seckman said...

We have a Star Wars Monopoly set and I always end up with Dagobah. Yay, give me my $2 rent...I'm a loser!

Luana Krause said...

Darth Vader is the ultimate villain...bittersweet because before that he was a promising Jedi named Anakin Skywalker. Too bad he went to the Dark Side. But then who would "complete" Luke?

mshatch said...

Damien would be my choice for a D villain. That kid was creepy!

E.J. Wesley said...

Vader is the coolest! What about the Dursley family from Harry Potter? They were pretty villainous. :)

Elise Fallson said...

Those are some of the most awesome D words. Ever.
:D

William Kendall said...

Darth Vader, dark lord of the Sith, champion distance choker of impetuous underlings, and from time to time whiny brat. There's a reason he doesn't like to talk about the early years...

Tracy Campbell said...

Hi Pk,
I enjoyed your post. It was D for Dandy.
I found you through DL Hammons' Blog Blitz which is a super idea.
Tracy :-)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Sometimes I wonder what brilliance came up with Darth Vader's name. So deliciously evil and villainous sounding.

Zoe said...

Dagobah houses the bones of Buddha and Dalek is Tibetan for fortune...ie tashi delek is said every new years..someone has an eastern slant on these villainous creations...

fOIS In The City said...

Of all the A-Z blogs, I am loving this the best. I love villians and their transformations, their histories, their hidden good. And yes, the first three movies ... which were the last three episodes were hands down better than the ones made later.

I am anticipating H :)

Kelly Polark said...

Ahhh, Darth Vader.
When my husband calls me on my cell, the imperial march rings. :)

Cynthia said...

I'm a new follower who found your blog through A to Z.

Delilah from the Bible was considered a villain, but it's possible she was only presented that way because her side of the story wasn't told.

Andrew Leon said...

I can't believe I waited this long to check back to your "D" post. Vader is awesome. "You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

And the Daleks are also awesome.