Friday, April 5, 2013

E is for ...

Happy E Day! And in keeping with my villains and/or settings from A-Z, today I give one of the most unique and fascinating settings of all ...

                                               (photo credit Wired.com)

                                                                 EARTH

You're like, really? Unique? Well, oblige me if you will ...

Obviously our home planet is the setting for myriad stories, but since we know it so well, there's so much we can do with it. Dystopic stories may be on the decline, but that doesn't mean you can't get creative with Mother Earth and give her your own spin.

Think of the Earth in stories like The Terminator and The Matrix. Industrialized and controlled by machines. Or primitive stories where the Earth is unspoilt, and primitive people live in caves like The Clan of the Cave Bear.

So many things we can do to make the Earth a more interesting setting for our stories. I mentioned yesterday I've gleaned much inspiration from watching nature documentaries--my personal favorites are the BBC Planet Earth and Africa series, as well the Lost People series. Our own world is so spellbinding in every way--it offers plenty of fodder for our worldbuilding of other settings, even other planets.

 And now for my E villain:

                                                    (photo credit Buzzflash.com)
The Emperor from Star Wars

I always found this guy way more sinister than old Darth. Ruthless and cruel, with a creep-tastic face to match, the former Chancellor Palpatine manipulated everyone in his path as he rose to power. Of course it didn't help he was adept with the Force. Turning people to the Dark Side was his specialty and poor misguided Anakin Skywalker fell for it. The Emperor made Darth Vader his heir to the Galactic Empire, then kicked him to the curb in hopes Luke would take the reins and continue the rule as part of the Dark Side. What the ...? Such a creep, with that villainous voice to match.

When it comes to villains, this guy is hard to top.

Hope you enjoyed my E post today. See you tomorrow for F, and then back on Monday for G. Can you guess what villains I have in store??? Muhahahahahahaha .....

How about you? Any fave E settings or villains? Any guesses what my next few letter posts will be? Have an excellent weekend! 

29 comments:

J.L. Murphey said...

My youngest daughter has brain damage. She hated the term "special." So I always her she was a unique individual put on this earth by God to bless me.

Today she has exceeded all expectations the doctors said she would not accomplish. Yes, I'm a proud mama!

As far as the Emperor goes, He was scarier than Freddy Kruger. While Kruger was just deranged, the Emperor was cold, calculating and twisted in a logical way. He could be any man.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Emperor is about as evil as you can get.
Earth has so many climates and locations. There's always a new and unique place to set a story. Underwater would be a good spot.

M.J. Fifield said...

Have you ever seen the Robot Chicken Star Wars parodies? I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but their portrayal of the Emperor makes me laugh until I can't breathe anymore. And then I back up the video and watch it all over again.

Jay Noel said...

Wonder why Palpatine ended up so evil. Did he have a bad childhood? Did he have "daddy" issues? Who knows.

I need to see more of the Earth!

mshatch said...

I think the Emperor is one of the best villains ever and definitely creepier than Darth. MY brother and I can recite so many of his lines it's almost sad.

Kate said...

I don't think you're being overly obvious at all! All good writing makes us question the things that are right in front of us. There's a million ways we could write about the Earth and still not have it feel stale!

klahanie said...

Hi PK,

Like you, I've been inspired by the BBC documentaries you allude to. And we need to really start taking action to preserve our fragile planet. Make it a greener, cleaner, more peaceful world.

The Emperor epitomises evil. I'd really have to think about my fave villain. I might go political and make mention of the British Prime Minister.

Happy alphabeting,

Gary

Suzi said...

The Emperor is definitely worse than Darth V. And so creepy looking too.

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, PK....

YAY for EARTH.... If only we took care of it better and haven't abused it for SO MANY CENTURIES! ESPECIALLY the LAST ONE!

Great villain!

I was so thrilled yesterday to get an email from Elizabeth Sachman that I WON a PIXIE!!!! I am BEYOND THRILLED... Of to your pixie site to chose which one I'd like to grace my new office. Plus it will be nice to have company for my LONG DRIVE HOME. LOL...

Let me know when we can get together! AND when Sheri is coming into town...

Natasha Duncan-Drake said...

For settings I like Earth with an undercurrent of things not everyone sees, so the normal world were vampire hunters lurk and the like.

I think you may have picked the ultimate villain with the Emperor :), no one else springs to mind after reading about him.

Robin said...

Earth is a perfect setting:D Makes me think about BSG and their (sometimes) desperate search for it. And The Emperor is the ultimate villain, topping even Darth Vadar:)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great post, my that Emperor does look an evil so and so.

Yvonne.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Ewwww! You picked one creepy dude for your villain today! Can't wait to see who you have in store for us tomorrow.

Susan Kane said...

The Emperor wins my vote for evil. Although, in "The Wiz", Evileen does a fair job of it.

Earth: no other place I'd rather be. Well, except Heaven.

Mark Means said...

I always think it's funny that Earth is portrayed as a 'back water' planet in a lot of comics and sci-fi books. I guess, in many ways, we are :)

Definitely agree that The Emperor is way more evil than Vader. He looks to breed it, which is more sinister than just -being- it.

VikLit said...

The Emperor is a GREAT pick!

LD Masterson said...

Yup, The Emperor is a great baddie.

And think Earth as a setting offers infinite possibilities.

Heather M. Gardner said...

He was truly excellent and creepy!

Heather

William Kendall said...

He's one of the good things about the prequel trilogy, watching this seemingly polite politician carefully manipulate his way into the place where he can seize control of everything.

Christine Rains said...

The Emperor is definitely scarier than Darth! Have a wonderful weekend.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Palpatine give me the shivers. As a Star Wars nut, I salute your villain choice. Someday, I'd love to see Earth from space. Hello NASA?

Zoe said...

I find the emporor difficult to look at...his demeanor adds to that lumpy sort of moldy feeling he puts off.

Michelle said...

What a creepy looking villain!
I remember The Matrix... great movie!

DL Hammons said...

Very creepy! The Emperor...not the Earth! :)

Courtney Worth Young said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Courtney Worth Young said...

I didn't realize you were doing the A to Z as well!! Yay PK!!! :) The emperor is one of my favorite villains.

Dystopia is wonderful and I do love the Terminator/Matrix world. It is amazing what our imaginations can think up, isn't it?

Courtney

Lexa Cain said...

I loved Clan of the Cave Bear. And the Emperor is really scary - eeek!
Great choices! :-)

Maria Perry Mohan said...

It's a fact that sometimes the villains are more interesting than the heroes.

Maria's Book BLog

E.J. Wesley said...

I thought the villain of the day would be 'E.J.'! :D But I don't have any dark, Sith powers, so I suppose that's why Senator Palpatine trumps me.