Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for ...

Happy Saturday and such a fine, friendly, fantastic day it is!

In honor of the fortuitous letter F, I'm posting my favorite F villains and setting. Read on!

                                                     (photo credit TheGoldenSombrero.com)

Mama Fratelli from The Goonies.

My readers know by now what a big Goonies fan I am, and I have to mention Mama Fratelli for the formidable villain she is. Why? First off, 'cause she's mean and nasty, but I think what does it for me is the string of pearls she wears to accessorize her black thievery garb. It's grandma turned to the Dark Side!

Her character is an excellent example of thinking outside the box when it comes to villainy. The contrast of a sweet motherly image crossed with a kid-hating, murdering crook... Makes her unforgettable! And even more so when played by the late and talented Anne Ramsey.

And of course ...

                                               (photo credit: booth4milledgeville.com)

Farkas! Scut Farkas, that is.

From the classic holiday movie, A Christmas Story, Farkas is the yellow-eyed bully who prays on the smaller, nameless rabble of victims in the neighborhood. A true kid villain through and through--one every first and second grader is terrified of. (And you wanna know something funny?? My dad looked just like this when he was a kid. LOL!)

Also, in keeping with the 80s theme, which I totally didn't plan, but just happened ... and coincidentally enough, I'm going to an 80s party tonight (pictures to follow,) .... here's one more creep-tastic villain in honor of the letter F:

                                                         (photo credit: en.wikipedia.org)

Freddy Krueger!

From the 80s hit horror flicks, Nightmare on Elm street, this detestable slimeball haunted everyone's dreams. Knives for fingernails, and skin like spiderwebs, Freddy was the ultimate villain to anyone who fell asleep. His mission was revenge! A child serial killer set on fire by his victim's family, Freddy's spirit comes back to terrorize the teenage kids in the neighborhood so they never want to fall asleep again!

I can attest to how frightening this villain really was since I was a tween when he came out. And my dear old dad used to scratch at our bedroom doors at night, after we'd gone to bed and right after we'd watched the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Ah, that could explain some of my madness. (Don't worry, my dad's great and I don't hold it against him. Toughened me up if anything.)

And for my setting pick:


Yes it's a forest, but it's also Forks, Washington--you know, the now mega famous setting for the Twilight saga? I know there's a lot of mixed feelings out there about Twilight, and I"m pretty neutral with the whole thing. I enjoyed the books and the movies, regardless of their flaws. My forty-six year old neighbor on the other hand is a Twilight fanatic. I'm talking total Twilight nuttiness which never ceases to amaze me.

But, in my opinion, part of what's so gripping about the Twilight phenomenon is its setting in this small coastal Washington town. It's verdant and lively, with a hauntingly mystical appeal. You can imagine the otherworld creatures living there perfectly. And the perpetual grayness of the setting adds even more to the story.

And what's really cool, is that the author put Forks, WA on the map for the world. They have an entire website for tourists that includes the Twilight phenomenon, proving that what a writer can do for a place by using it as a setting, is thrilling!

Write on, friends! And enjoy your weekend!

Do you know any of these villains? Have a fave F villain or setting? Like the Forks setting? Dislike? Please share ...

29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A Christmas Story rocks.
The first Nightmare on Elm Street was very chilling. Everyone at the theater was really into it.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great combinations, pictures rather spooky. Good F word.

Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne.

T C Mckee said...

Great list! I too enjoyed the Twilight books and movies. Yes. Flaws and all. No matter how people feel about it, there is no denying the reach its had. We had windows put in a couple of years ago, and the salesman's son was one of the artists responsible for the hair on the wolves. His job was to make the hair move as naturally as possible. How cool is that? One story changed his life. Nobody sees that though. I think its pretty awesome.

William Kendall said...

I've never seen the Goonies... though I remember Anne Ramsey in Throw Momma From The Train.

Mark K said...

Good luck with the A-Z, though I'm not doing it this year.

I agree, the first 'Nightmare on Elm Street' film was amazingly scary for its time. I have vivid memories of watching that when I was around 15?

D.G. Hudson said...

Some of Twilight was also shot in British Columbia (one daughter was an extra in the last one which was filmed in North Vancouver.)

I love the pearls on the Grandma, just to let us know she had a classy side in there somewhere.

mshatch said...

Ha! I love the Goonies! It's among the I own it dvds :)

Momma, you been bad!

Mark Means said...

Awesome "F" villains...especially Farkas. Not one I would have immediately thought of, but a great baddie all the same :)

DL Hammons said...

Such an awesome collection of villains! I thought Freddy Kruegers back story was underutilized in those films! :)

M.J. Fifield said...

I've never seen the Goonies or Nightmare on Elm Street. But I did recognize Farkas.

klahanie said...

I have been to Forks, Washington. I'm being very careful with this. What with it being "F".

I reckon Friar Tuck was a villain. The dude was always eating more than his share of the food that should have been left for the rest of the merry men.

"Farkas!" No Gary, don't even think it....

Happy alphabeting.

Gary :)

C. Lee McKenzie said...

I definitely know Freddie and Mama! How could I not? They're synonymous with villain. Enjoying your theme, Pk.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Great *F* post!!

Beth said...

I only know one of your F villains today but I love your F setting.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Freddy! I loved this movie. Scared the cr*p out of me!

Forks is pretty cool looking.

HMG

Julie Flanders said...

The first Nightmare on Elm Street movie absolutely terrified me. I still get creeped out when I think of those kids jumping rope and chanting about Freddy coming for me haha.

Enjoy the 80s party! :)

Kate said...

Good call! Anything that has to do with the Goonies has my vote :)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Oh yeah that was one bad mama.

Tammy Theriault said...

DON'T THROW MAMA FROM THE TRAIN! she is scary here and in goonies...wowsers.

J.L. Murphey said...

Freeze as in Mr. Freeze. Batman

fOIS In The City said...

PK, gotta love Mama.

What do we love more than to be scared out of our wits? To close our eyes and peek through our fingers?

It's Fun to be Frightened ... and the F villians and settings are Fantastic :)

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Love The Goonies! Mama Fratelli was an excellant villian. :)

Jackie said...

A Christmas Story is one of my fav Christmas flicks!

And you made such a great point about Forks and how Meyer put it on the map.

Sandra Cox said...

You nailed the F villians.
I have been wanting to go to Seattle ever since the Twilight Series:)

Jay Noel said...

Farkas! He really does have yellow eyes.

Lexa Cain said...

I loved all your villain, but I truly adore Freddy! He's so funny and scary at the same time. What an amazing character.
And you're right, whatever I feel about Twilight, Forks looks mysterious and wonderful.
Great post! :-)

Mama J said...

The Goonies was on over Easter - it's been years since I watched it!

Not a fan of Freddie though *scaredy cat*

Michelle said...

Freddy Krueger is a well-known villain. He's the stuff nightmares are made of! LOL

Andrew Leon said...

I bet I've seen Goonies more than you've seen Goonies! The Fratellis were great villains.