Thursday, April 11, 2013

J is for ...

Jumping jellybeans it's J day!! And your villain of the day is ...

                                                   (photo credit unrealitymag.com)
                                              
Or maybe you prefer this one ...

                                               (photo credit copycateffect.blogspot.com)

Or maybe ...

                                                  (photo credit knowyourmeme.com and Doug Mahnke)

Whatever your fancy, the JOKER is a supervillain extreme!

Batman's archenemy is a genius master criminal with a sadistic humor and psychopath tendencies. What could be more entertaining?? I bet Heath Ledger and Jack Nicholson has a blast playing him, among the others who took on the role.

You probably know the Joker's history why he looks like that (acid much?) so I'll spare you the run down of events, but I will say one of the greatest scenes in Batman Begins is when the Joker shares his sob story, of how he suffered, what he had to deal with. Villains so need this backstory! And it adds to our love/hate relationship with the ultimate villains.

And your setting today is ...

                                                (photo credit serenity-international.com)

JAIL

What could be more fitting? Jail is an awesome setting. Some of  the best stories around are set in jail:

Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Escape from Alcatraz

Just to name a few! Jail immediately puts characters in the middle of conflict, and offers an unsettling feeling for audiences. A caged bird always makes me a little sad, and caged people is even worse, except the irony is most of them deserve to be there. Most. Not all, and these are the one who make the most interesting characters. Let's see what they're made of, throw them in jail, make things rough, then let them fight for their freedom, and quite often, their sanity.

Thank you so much for visiting today! Any thoughts on the Joker or jail? Any J villains or settings you'd like to share? Or anything at all? Be my guest ...

30 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Love Cesar Romero's The Joker in the 1960's Batman TV series!! It was his laughter! LOL!!

Take care
x

Roger Lawrence said...

You beat me to it. Cesar Romero was the best joker for me. Shows my age a bit.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars!

Beth said...

I always loved the Joker because he wore purple! I had a big picture of him in my room when I was a kid.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Some fine handsome men here, loved the joker.

Yvonne.

Julie Flanders said...

So true about jail as a setting. The Shawshank Redemption is one of my all-time favorite movies.

M.J. Fifield said...

Heath Ledger's Joker was brilliant.

And Jail can be a fantastic setting. The Shawshank Redemption... and even The Walking Dead. Awesome.

Jackie said...

I loved Heath Ledger's version of the Joker. Amazing!

Robin said...

The joker is one bad guy that keeps coming back. Good pick for today. I never saw the newer movie, so I'm an old school Joker fan.

My son was horrified when he realized I thought Joker and The Riddler were the same person. My apologies to all comic book lovers out there. These two villains blend together for me.

Michael Di Gesu said...

The Joker was always one of my FAVORITE Villains!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

A masterful villain, to be sure!

D.G. Hudson said...

I like Jack Nicholson's portrayal the best! Heath Ledger is more creepy because of the bad makeup job - they both have their place as villains. Both portray them well!

Jail - a place to avoid at all costs, but yes, a setting with many options.

Al Diaz said...

Both jokers robbed the spotlight in their respective movies, over Batman.

Janeal Falor said...

Heather Ledger's Joker really freaked me out. I wouldn't be surprised if you were write about them having a blast playing them though. The Joker would be a really fun character to play.

Andrew Leon said...

I was actually unimpressed with Ledger's Joker. I know, that's blasphemy, but his performance has been overrated because of his death. He basically copied Nicholson's performance, so he loses points with me for that. He even admitted to it in an interview which never shows up anymore, because people want to elevate him so much. He couldn't even do the laugh, so, if you go back and watch Dark Knight, you will see that the laugh only happens when he is off camera. They brought in Mark Hamill for the laugh, who, I think, would have made a much better Joker to begin with.

Gina Gao said...

I have to admit, the Joker is one of my favorite villains of all time.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Mark Means said...

When I heard Heath Ledger was going to play the Joker, I thought.."O.k..that's it...this movie's gonna blow".

Then I saw him work and was blown away. Clearly my favorite version of the Clown Prince of Crime.

Oh, and as another commenter mentioned, I loved Caesar Romero's laugh too...it was awesome! :)

Left and Write

Susan Kane said...

Great choices. Caesar Romero was a perfect sleezy Joker. Heath Ledger scared me to death.

William Kendall said...

I prefer Heath's take on the character to the Nicholson version (not knocking Jack, just that the performance feels closer to the comic version). And actually, Mark Hamill's voice version for the animated series was always chilling. That laugh comes from a dark place.

Kaye Draper said...

I also prefer Heath. I think his character's background is better too. He never really says what did happen, but he tells all these crazy stories. It just keeps you wondering what in the world DID happen to this twisted man.
Happy Blogging!
Kaye Draper at Write Me

Jinky said...

I love your A-Z theme! So fun!! I'll be back for more ..new follower.

Thanks for stoppin' by my blog and for the follow. :)

The Desert Rocks said...

I remember the original joker from the original series with Adam West as Batman. In fact, I met Adam West once. He just wasn't the same in person. Jail? Hmmm. I blogged about this once and used a photo of me visiting Capone's cell at Alcatraz. Now when you Google me the photo pops up. I look guilty too!

Elise Fallson said...

I second what MJ said, Heath Ledger was excellent as The Joker.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

The joker...a perfect villain. I thought Heath Ledger was great...but I'm a big fan of Nicholson.

DL Hammons said...

I actually enjoyed the Riddler more than Joker. Not sure why. :)

Amy Jarecki said...

Hi Pk. Jack Nicholson always makes a spine chilling villain!

Heather M. Gardner said...

I'm fond of Jack as the Joker. As I was fond of Michael as Batman.

Heather

mshatch said...

I loved both Jokers, but Heath really did a great job. What a shame.

Lexa Cain said...

You forgot Cesar Romero. He was my favorite because he understood the innate comedy of Batman. (For the same reason, I've always preferred Roger Moore as James Bond.)
Another jail movie - The Rock. I really enjoyed that one. :-)

Kirsten said...

The Joker is my favourite Batman villain - in fact, I probably prefer him to Batman. ;-)

Short Story Ideas &
Just Ermie