Saturday, April 13, 2013

L is for ...

Thanks so much for including me on your blog visits today. I'll be catching up with you all weekend long. The first draft of my latest project is almost complete and I'm grateful because it's sucking all my creative time and energy. (in a good way tho!)

But not so much I forgot about L day! And your villain today is ...

                                           (photo credit eastsidepatch.com)

DR. LECTER, of course. AKA HANNIBAL THE CANNIBAL

One of the greatest villains of all time. We love to hate him, and may even hate to love him, but he's so darn fascinating we can't help ourselves. Purely demented, but with an appreciation of fine arts and  cuisine, as well as proper etiquette, Hannibal is nothing short of a psychopathic genius. Once he gets into your head, your only hope is to treat him with polite respect, in hopes he'll avoid eating your liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

We met him first in Red Dragon, then got a better taste of him in Silence of the Lambs (pun intended!)  and roamed freely with him in Hannibal, while witnessing the hardships he endured as a child in Hannibal Rising. We know why he's bad. The loss of his parents and demise of his poor sister Mischa were enough to challenge anyone's sanity and dredge up a bit of sympathy from us.

Hannibal was perfectly creep-tastic in all Thomas Harris's books, and of course, delightfully repulsive on film from Anthony Hopkins's stellar portrayal.

Makes me want to craft a villain all my own, and make up an entire story around him. What an awesome project that would be.

Of course, this is not the first time I've posted on Dr. Lecter. Last time I posted on him, I included a bit about Buffalo Bill as well, from Silence of the Lambs. A debate ensued in the comments over who was the real antagonist of the story. Buffalo Bill? Or Hannibal Lecter?

My viewpoint was, Buffalo Bill was the true antagonist of the story and Hannibal Lecter was a side character, although perfectly villainous all the same. Some disagreed with me and found Hannibal to be the real antagonist.

How about you? Remember that topic? Any opinions? Please share ...

33 comments:

William Kendall said...

Buffalo Bill is the real antagonist... the immediate threat in that story. Lecter is a threat, yes... but not to Clarice.

It's an amazing character when Harris writes him at his best (we shall avoid speaking of the ending of Hannibal, of course...)

Zoe said...

I agree with you...Sorry but I gotta say every time I leave your blog Im a little spooked out! Actually that's a real compliment if you think about it!

DL Hammons said...

I actually have an issue with Hannibal Lecter. I feel that after Silence of the Lambs (which was an awesome read) Thomas Harris lost focus on what made Red Dragon and SOTL so good. Lecter was much better as a secondary character (albeit a truly memorable one), and making him the center of attention in subsequent books left me in its wake.

My humble opinion of course. :)

Kate said...

He's such a horrifying villain! All of my favorite villains scare me the most when I DO find myself sympathizing with them.

Michael Di Gesu said...

I will never forget Silence of the Lambs... Hopkins was UNBELIEVABLE. I will never forget how chilling his performance was.

T. Drecker said...

Hannibal is one of the creepiest villians ever! Even thinking about him gives me goosebumps.

mshatch said...

I'm going to say Lector because Clarice had to win him over ('beat' him) in order to succeed in solving the case. But I think a case could be made either way.

Love your theme by the way :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Same argument could be made in Red Dragon - was it Lector or Francis? I say Francis. (Played to the fullest creepiness by Tom Noonan in Manhunter.)

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A good topic for the letter "L" remember seeing the film on TV.

Enjoy your week-end.

Yvonne.

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

I loved the memory gallery that Lecter employed in Hannibal to recall details. Like when he looked at the picture (I think...it's been a while) of FDR in the Ford and that corresponded to things he needed to remember. The dry ice scene at the beginning too...when Clarice huddled in a van while people danced to the macarena. Harris used a lot of visuals.

Red Dragon is by far the best of those books. But I did like Silence of the Lambs.

mooderino said...

He's such a marvellous character I can see why they tried to turn him into a franchise (and now a TV series, I think). Shows you need a good story as well as a good character.

mood
Moody Writing

Rebecka Vigus said...

Interesting take on the blogs. Love it.

The Desert Rocks said...

Anthony Hopkins did a great job with the mean lecherous villain. I hated him!

Jeff Hargett said...

One day, I may just acquaint myself with this guy. Maybe. But not today.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Such a charismatic cannibal. I watched that film with my arms wrapped around me and my feet drawn underneath. I still shudder when I think about the scenes with Clarice.

Lexa Cain said...

I can't hate Anthony Hopkins no matter who he plays. I adore the Hannibal Lechter character. So he has a flaw or two (like killing and eating people)? We all have our little faults...
Great post! :-)

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Lecter is a very intriguing villain. True psychopathic genius...so scary. I can see where he is seen as the antagonist of Silence of the Lambs...but I agree with you. Lecter was the side story, a very needed character used to help the protagonist find the antagonist- Buffalo Bill. And well done indeed.

Andrew Leon said...

Maybe I should watch that again, but I'm not sure I want to. Silence that is; I haven't seen the other one.

Suzi said...

I've always loved Silence of the Lambs. There was one more I really liked, can't remember which it is though because I mix the other ones up.

Mark Means said...

Great villain and Hopkins was just awesome in the role.

To me,I think Lechter was the real antagonist of the story and Buffalo Bill was just a sidestory to help move the main story (Lechter and Clarisse) along.

I was glad to see Alex mention "Manhunter" as you don't hear about it much in conjunction with SotL.

I've also tried watching the new t.v. show, but fell asleep about half way in. Not because it was bad...it was just 3 o'clock in the morning. :)

Kal said...

Hopkins was only onscreen for 16 minutes today but I will never forget about him. The way he escaped from that building full of cops was the most frightening thing I have ever seen. I have high hopes for the new Hannibal TV series.

Jackie said...

Hopkins did a wonderful job as Lecter, one of the creepiest villains ever.
I'm curious to see how the TV series portrays him.

J.L. Murphey said...

Fava beans with a nice Chianti anyone? The thought of Hopkins playing Lector still sends chills up my spine. He did it that well.

Dani Jax said...

Being horror movie fans, we love Hannibal, creepiness and all! Great choice for the letter L!

Susan Roebuck said...

I think they cast Hopkins for the role of Hannibal because he could never be totally hateful. I didn't know he was in the Red Dragon too - must take a look. Great "L" day!

Julie Flanders said...

I considered Bill the antagonist but Lector stole the show to such an extent that now it's kind of easy to forget all about Buffalo Bill. Definitely one of the best movies ever, still remember how much it freaked me out when I first saw it.

michelle said...

Anthony Hopkins was brilliant in that role!

Writer In Transit

Connie Gruning said...

PERFECT L post!! Hannibal is total evil and 100% villain.
A to Z buddy
Peanut Butter and Whine

Mark Murata said...

I'm almost done with my first project, also. And, if you watched Battlestar Galactica, that old drunkard Colonel Tigh was my favorite character.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I watch Silence of the Lambs through the weaves of an afgan. Scared the bejeepers out of me.

Francene Stanley said...

How could a character create so much interest? That says a lot for the human condition.
Francene.
A - Z Challenge
http://francene-wordstitcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Suzy Turner said...

Just looking at his picture gives me the creeps! I must admit, I haven't watched all the movies... I find them too dark and twisted. I prefer a happy ending myself :)

Heather M. Gardner said...

These stories blew me away when I read them. The evil that dripped off the page. I think a calm insane person is so much scarier than a manic one.

I agree. Hannibal was a secondary character but integral to the story.

Heather