Monday, April 15, 2013

M is for ...

Anyone else out there starting to find this A-Z Challenge ... well, um, challenging?? I admit, I'm losing steam and this weekend I was off my game. Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast and love hearing from you, as well as seeing what you're daily posts are.

But I'm also looking forward to a little blog-cation in May. Anyone else taking May off?

Now back to our regularly scheduled program ...

On this marvelous Monday we're honoring the magnificent letter M. And your villain of the day is ...


Start the video at exactly 2.21 minutes into it, and you'll see why Mondago, is the villain of one of the best stories ever told, The Count of Monte Cristo. Who says villains have to be creepy and distorted? As in the case of Edmond Dantes, they could very well be your best friend.

A backstabbing, greedy, spoiled brat, Mondago betrays his closest friend, only to assist in sentencing Dantes to the worst prison imaginable, before marrying his beautiful fiance. Now that's true villainy.

And your setting of the day is ...

                                                 (photo credit bigthink.com)

MIDDLE-EARTH

JRR Tolkien's fictional world is familiar to just about everyone these days. And what I love about this setting, is that it's Earth at some time in our history--a time when men weren't the only creatures to inhabit the land on two legs. Elves, dwarfs, hobbits, orcs, goblins, etc. It's such an amazing concept that's thrilled so many readers and movie-goers. I like to think of it as a time when maybe Pangaea still existed, which doesn't exactly match up with Earth's history, but still fun to think about.

The multi-terrain of Middle-Earth is enough to inspire any writer to do some of their own world building. And seeing it brought to life onscreen through New Zealand's spectacular landscape is always such a thrill.

How about this setting:

                                           (photo credit euanmacquisten.wordpress.com)

THE MATRIX

A simulated reality. Cyberspace. Everyday life is a farce. The world is the Matrix.  

I think we'll be seeing even more of these types of stories in coming years. Exploring cyberspace and going deeper and deeper into the possibilities. There's a wealth of inspiration for fiction. In fact, I'm reading one right now for my critique partner, Kathryn Rose, and it's fantastic.

Cyberpunk fans unite!

And because it's M day, here are a couple of pixies from the fairy faculty over at Pixie Patrol:

MATHILDA TIDBITS (scrapbooking extraordinaire)

and

MISTY BLUE (playing the blues so you don't have to)

Check my sidebar for more on the Pixie Patrol. I can custom design them as well!

Have a great Monday and thanks so much for stopping by!! Have a fave M villain or setting? What do you think about Mondago, Middle-earth, and the Matrix?

37 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

All excellent choices! Mondago was played by Guy Pearce in the movie, and I featured another of his movies today.
I have a lot scheduled for May (not sure how that happened) but I will be taking some time off in June.

Beth said...

Great M Picks!

PT Dilloway, Grumpy Bulldog said...

It's only a challenge if you fail to plan in advance.

Susan Roebuck said...

Gosh - his line "because you're just a clerk" says it all!
When you mentioned LotR I thought of the horrible spider and had a feeling it began with M - but it's Shelob - can I wait for S please LOL?

Al Diaz said...

I still remember the first map I made about my imaginary world and it is so Tolkien I don't think I'll ever let anyone see it, lest I have to pay royalties.

I liked Matrix very much. And yes, I have plans for May but they are not blog related.

Old Kitty said...

Bad bad Mandago!! But yay for gorgeous Mathilda and Misty!! They're lovely! take care
x

M.J. Fifield said...

I love that version of Monte Cristo with Guy Pearce and Jim Caviezal. So, so good.

And Middle Earth is classic.

Kate said...

Yes, I'm feeling a little burned out too. It'll be nice when May rolls around!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great post and loved reading about The Count of Monte Cristo.

Yvonne.

KC Weldon said...

I'm struggling too but I did this last year. I can promise you that the feeling at the end when you've successfully completed it is worth EVERY struggle. Keep going! Tomorrow starts the second half!

KC @ The Occasional Adventures of a Hermit & Oh Frog It

Dani and Jax said...

OOH! Great choices for M!

E.J. Wesley said...

Middle Earth ftw! :D

Oh man, the one and only time I did A to Z it ground me to a nub of my former, excited-about-blogging self. lol

It's a long month for sure--one I think is worth it in a big picture kind of way. But long.

Angeline Trevena said...

I watch the LOTR movies all the time, and they always leave me inspired to write epic fantasy!
coffintreehill.tumblr.com

Julie Flanders said...

Your pixies are so adorable! Love them.

I'm with you on the Challenge. I love it but it's kind of wearing me out this year.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I've never read the Count of Monte Cristo...I need to rectify that.

As for the challenge? I had bad dream- I forgot my ABCs and kept screwing up the order! Sort of like the pajamas in class dream! Must be the stress.

Melissa Sugar said...

Wonderful choices and I hear you about that blog-cation. Whew, this is hard work. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love it.

D.G. Hudson said...

Matrix was a favorite movie, and gives us an idea how interesting science fiction and fantasy can become. Villains can be fun to create, too.

As for Middle Earth, I finally watched The Hobbit with family last night and I loved it. I read this one years ago, but Martin Freeman totally epitomizes how I imagined Bilbo!

Mark Means said...

Loved 'The Count of Monte Cristo' as well as 'The Matrix'. Both are great films.

Guy Pearce was excellent as Mondago.

Janeal Falor said...

Mondago is an excellent pick. Makes me want to go watch that movie again.

I can see how doing the blogging challenge would be hard, but you're doing amazing with it. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the rest of the month! And then yay for blogcations!

Barbara Watson said...

Ohhh, The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite reads!!

nutschell said...

I love that matrix!and yes, a blog cation sounds good right about now--and i'm not even doing aZ!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Andrew Leon said...

Nope... no time off... ever.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Love middle earth. And yeah, just following the A-Z blogging is getting a bit much. Can't imagine writing so many posts.

LD Masterson said...

I knew I couldn't manage the whole A to Z thing but for those of you who do, taking off some time in May seems pretty reasonable to me.

~Sia McKye~ said...

It would be cool if elves and dwarfs were real. There is something about the whole middle earth. I love visiting it.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

So many M's to consider. Guess I like them all and, of course, I love Professor Moriarty's villainous nature.

Christine Rains said...

Great M picks! Magneto is a good M villain.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Great M picks! :) Love the Matrix as a setting.

William Kendall said...

Mondago really is a wonderful pick. Treacherous and seemingly pleasant.

mshatch said...

Loved The Matrix - and I pre-scheduled all my posts and I'm still finding the challenge challenging!

Zoe said...

good M picks & yup I'm feelin the burn and my posts are pretty dopey compared to most! Thank GOd for photos and themelessness!

Jeff Hargett said...

Those are some good Ms!

Robin said...

I am def. getting burned out. I wish I'd written the entire month ahead of time. The idea of taking May off sounds brilliant.

The Count of Monte Christo is my husband's fav. book. I keep telling myself I'll read it, and then reading YA instead. One day.

You're doing great. We're halfway today. It's all downhill from here (and so might be my posts!-lol)

Cynthia said...

Hello from A to Z. Although the MONTE CRISTO movie was nothing like the book, I have to confess that I liked the movie too! Thanks for sharing.

Francene Stanley said...

I like your theme. Keep on blogging. We're half way there.

Jessica Schley said...

The Matrix has got to be one of my all time favorite settings. It's one of those things that just makes me go, "Damn, why can't I think of anything that fabulous?" Maybe someday...

Heather M. Gardner said...

Love the Matrix. Amazing concept.

These Pixies are really cute.

Heather