Tuesday, April 16, 2013

N is for ...

This may be a nice time to remind you that we're halfway there. Nifty, right?!

N is neat-o! Here's why ....

Your N villains of the day are:

                                                       (photo credit delsquacho.com)

SHERIFF OF NOTTINGHAM

Plenty of versions of Robin Hood out there, and many actors have played the ol' sheriff, but I happen to prefer Alan Rickman's portrayal in Prince of Thieves. His desire to marry into royalty gives him motive, and his eyes are set on Maid Marian. Heartless and scheming, he has no qualms about taking the poor's last tuppence in the name of duty for Prince John's taxes. He's Robin Hood's greatest arch-enemy. And quite a worthy one at that. Such a meanie!
 
And I can't forget about ...

                                                        (photo credit charactergrades.com)

NELLIE OLESEN

Oh boy, I loved to hate this little girl when I was a kid growing up. Little House on the Prairie was a staple show in my house, and as a huge Laura Ingalls fan, I cheered from my sofa while Laura tried to kick Nellie's derriere all over Walnut Grove. Nellie will always remain the epitome of a villainous bully in my mind. Spoiled, mean, selfish, and plain old rotten, Nellie never tires of hurting whoever gets in the way of what she wants. 

She's an awesome character, and truly inspirational for writers. Brilliantly played by Alison Arngrim, who coincidentally has a book out right now called Confessions of a Prairie Bitch. LOL... what a fun read. I've gotta check it out!

And for your N settings:

                                                      (photo credit moviecitynews.com)

NARNIA

C.S. Lewis' fictional world inside the wardrobe. I've always adored this concept. And the fabulous world of Narnia is so full of delightful whimsy, any writer who comes in contact with it takes instant inspiration. And I particularly love the centaurs.


                                                      (photo credit thedisneyblog.com)

NEVERLAND

Second star to the right and straight on til morning! Who doesn't get totally lost in the idea of Neverland?? A paradise where you never have to grow up? Mermaids and pirates? I'm so there! Perhaps you agree, and all you need is a little pixie dust .... well you're in luck ...


 Because Nilla Wayfarer is here!

Nilla is the Pixie Patrol's traveling sprite, complete with map and free spirit! Click the icon in my sidebar to learn more. 

By the way, my friend Beth Fred is releasing her next book, THE OTHER MARLOWE GIRL and you can find it by clicking the picture below, as well as find Beth at her blog by clicking right here. 


     Congrats to Beth!

How about you? Have an N villain or setting you'd like to share? If you had to choose between Narnia and Neverland, which would you choose? Do you love Little House like me? How about Alan Rickman? Spill it ...                              

33 comments:

M.J. Fifield said...

Classic villains, both. And oh, how my sisters and I loved to hate Nellie Olesen, too.

Suzi said...

You gotta love (hate) Nellie. I haven't watched any Little House on the Prairie, but my daughter's getting older so maybe in a few years she'll be into it. She's still more into cartoon shows than real people shows.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Some great "N" subjects here. most enjoyable to read and remember these characters once again.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Rickman was awesome in the role!
I'd visit Narnia before Middle Earth. Much safer. And I'd want to meet Aslan.

Nick Wilford said...

Nilla looks like she would be right at home in Neverland! Some great pics today. Not seen Little House on the Prairie, but Nellie certainly sounds interesting.

Brandon Ax said...

I'm actually re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia right now one of my all time favorite series.

Misha Gericke said...

I also LOVE The Sheriff of Nottingham, although I prefer the version played by Keith Allen.

My Writing Blog
My Life Blog

J.L. Murphey said...

I love the Naria series and who could forget the spoiled little girl Nellie. I kinda liked Roger Rees as the stumbling Nottingham in Men in Tights.

Old Kitty said...

I loved Nellie when she got married!!

And maybe I'd chose Neverland! More peaceful than Narnia! Although not by much! take care
x

Jackie said...

Little House! Loved that show and the books. Nellie was wretched, as was her sister Nancy.
When I was kid, I had a crush on teen Willie. LOL

Michael Di Gesu said...

Great N villains.

CUTE new pixie.... Welcome to the patrol Nilla Wayfarer!

Rachel Schieffelbein said...

Narnia and Neverland are wonderful! Hard to beat, really. :)

Mark Means said...

I remember Rickman in that role and, just like in "Die Hard", he was superb.

A great choice and a great actor, as well.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Alan Rickman can do villains like nobody else in this world. Even when he's not being villainous, he sends out captivating badness. I love that man.

mshatch said...

Alan Rickman is divine in whatever he's in, so underrated, imo.

I didn't watch Little House much but I do remember Nellie!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

When I was a little girl, we played Little House on the playground...everyone fought over who had to be Nellie.

Beth said...

Thanks so much for helping me out!

michelle said...

I remember Little House On The Prairie... gosh PK, that brought a wave of nostalgia...
Narnia and Neverland are two great settings!

Writer In Transit

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh I forgot all about Nellie Olsen. Love the title of Arngrim's book, LOL.

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

Alan Rickman puts such character into every role you just gotta love/hate him.

Janeal Falor said...

N has some really good ones. Darn ol' Sheriff of Nottingham. And Nellie! Grrr. For some reason I didn't watch this show until I was an adult and I've never understood why I didn't watch it sooner.

Andrew Leon said...

Nellie Olesen! I'd forgotten about her!

William Kendall said...

Never saw Little House, so I can't comment on her... but the Sheriff is just so deliciously rotten! Alan Rickman always plays the villain so well.

I'd have to go with Narnia over Neverland as a setting.

Susan Kane said...

Alan Rickman is not really evil; he is just misunderstood.

Jay Noel said...

That Sheriff of Nottingham was pretty funny. Rickman did a great job, and he was pretty much the only highlight in that movie for me.

Nellie was a meanie, wasn't she?

Silvia Villalobos said...

Oooo, all very cool villains (if cool even applies). But funny thing is I remember the villains better (most of the ones you list) but not the main characters so much. Hmm ...

Silvia @ Silvia Writes

Amy Jarecki said...

I wonder if Nellie Olesen grew up with a complex. No one liked her.

Robin said...

Nellie is the perfect villain. I didn't think of her before reading it. I supposed I should feel a little sorry for her, but I've never managed it.

Jeff Hargett said...

You really have chosen some great villains and settings this month.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Alan Rickman. Brilliant.

I never watched Little House. It was always to girlie looking. :)

What a great cover for the book!

Heather

jamieayres.com said...

Narnia or Neverland . . . you've given me an impossible choice *shakes fist* I read both aloud to my girls for our 'camp fire' winter reads:-)

Marsha Sigman said...

I am slightly obsessed with Alan Rickman.ha LOVE him. And I am so happy I'm not the only one who remembers Nellie Olson(saw every Little House episode and read the books.ha).

Narnia all the way. The boys can have Neverland.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Peter Pan is my happy place. I love it in Robin Hood when Alan R. say, "K-loze the gates."