Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O is for ...

Oh boy, we're moving right along organically. Ode to oodles of Os today!!

Your villain of the day is ...

                                                           (photo credit Marvel.com)

DR. OCTOPUS

AKA Otto Octavius. And supervillain to Spiderman. Like most villains, Dr. Octopus is a genius. And  a victim of his own invention, so to speak. His atomic research allowed him to create a chest harness that controls four mechanical arms that act as tentacles. The radiation from his experiment also affected his brain and changes this scientist into a megalomaniacal criminal.

It probably didn't help matters that his mother was overbearing and his father was a bully. There's his  sympathetic credibility right there, which as we're learning all month, is uber important for villains to have. No one is born bad. They become that way.

And your setting of the day is ...

                                              (photo credit blogs.mcall.com)

OZ

Who doesn't love Oz?? We're probably all a product of this story in some way, since it's a childhood staple for so many. I was always terrified of the Wicked Witch of the West as a child, and she doesn't make my villain list this year as I have three others already, but she's always worth mentioning.

Sure wouldn't mind taking a vacation in the Emerald City and get that special spa treatment. lol

How about you? Any favorite places from Oz? How about an O villain? Are you still holding up through A-Z? 

29 comments:

Roza M said...

I know right??? Who doesn't love OZ??? Loved both movies by the way, Oz the great and powerful and Wizard of Oz. Awesome post!

mshatch said...

I still love The Wizard of Oz and remember it being a big event when it came on television once a year.

Heather M. Gardner said...

DOC OC!

Very cool choice.

Heather

Jackie said...

Cool! I didn't know about Doc Ocks past!

Emily R. King said...

I want to watch Oz with my kids, but I'm afraid the Wicked Witch will scare them. She terrified me as a kid! I think I''ll wait until they're a bit older.

Amy Jarecki said...

Yep, back in the day when we had 5 channels, it was a big popcorn event at my house when we watched The Wizard of OZ. I think I can playact every scene :-)

Robin said...

I love the Wizard of Oz! We're going to start reading the books as a family. #soexcited.

Johanna Garth said...

Villains and settings :) Just catching up with everyone's theme and I like yours!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Me. I don't like Oz. As a kid, that movie scared the crap out of me. Yes, I was a wuss; thank you for asking.

Old Kitty said...

I'd go to Oz to visit the cowardly lion!! Yay! take care
x

J.L. Murphey said...

If I were in Oz the Emerald City might be a resort place to visit but I'd make my home in Munchkin land. I'd be head and shoulders above everyone else.

O villain- How about Omega or Oracle from Dr. Who

Jaycee DeLorenzo said...

I liked Munchkin Land in Oz, but I still like Oz in general because the colors (for that day and age) were brilliant and just fun.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I love Oz. I love to watch the old Wizard of Oz movie every now and then and was really excited when I could share it with my daughter.

Janeal Falor said...

Wizard of Oz will always be one of my favorite childhood movies. And I'm with ya -- off tot he Emerald City Spa!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great choices for your theme.

Yvonne.

Andrew Leon said...

I don't want to talk about Ock. I'm still trying to process that Peter is dead and Ock is in his head. I don't even read comics anymore, and I can't get over this.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Doc Ock - good choice.
Believe it or not, I've never been a big Oz fan.

William Kendall said...

It didn't help that he was named Otto. Pretty much enough to drive him over the line into supervillainy.

Yes, Doctor Octopus pulled a mindswitch with Peter, jumped into his body and left Peter to die in his... but Peter's ghost is still around. So sooner or later there'll be a proper resetting. Probably before the next movie comes out.

M.J. Fifield said...

I'm looking at Andrew and William's comments and thinking "Doc Oc did WHAT???"

Apparently, I need to read more comic books.

William Kendall said...

MJ, he's actually headlining a book right now called Superior Spider-Man, where he has some of Peter's memories and heroic impulse... but still the Octavius arrogance and disdain. Unfortunately one of the artists who regularly works on the book can't draw to save his life.

Pk Hrezo said...

Thx William! I didn't know that either. Sounds weird and cool at that same time.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

One of my favorite places in Oz is the castle with the flying monkeys. Used to scare the beejeebers out of me. Wait! It still does. I love to be scared.

LD Masterson said...

Isn't it cool, we've all been to Oz. It's this shared experience, that doesn't happen to exist.

Shelly said...

The Wizard of Oz is one of my most favorite movies.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Roger Lawrence said...

My education is clearly incomplete since Oz is one of the films I've never seen along with Jungle Book and Fantasia. My daughter thinks, and tells me that I'm a peasant and never misses the opportunity to tell me so.

Leslie S. Rose said...

Dr. Oct is dressed for the Emerald City in the pic. Just blend, no one will notice the arms.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Oh the wonderful world of Oz- great setting :: Great choice for villain, too.

Julie Flanders said...

I was so scared of the Wicked Witch and her monkeys that I hated the movie as a kid. The witch's music still kind of creeps me out LOL.

I have a hard time taking Dr. Octopus seriously just because his pic cracks me up. Sorry, Dr. Octopus! :D

Zoe said...

WHile I do love Oz...mostly for the flying monkey potential...Doc OC! Wassup with the new ones! He IS spidey? The Guardian even did a piece about that one!