Thursday, April 18, 2013

P is for ...

A perfectly pleasant day for P. Let's see, who shall our villain of the day be ...

Hmm ...

How about ...

                                                      (photo credit blackfilm.com)

PRESIDENT SNOW

From The Hunger Games trilogy, Coriolanus Snow is the ruthless, tyrannical president of Panem. And perfectly creep-tastic. I mean, come on, the guy sends children to their deaths as a cruel reminder  of who's in control. Can't get much darker than that. Cold and manipulative, he has no problem using intimidation to further his agenda. He wears a rose to cover the scent of blood on his breath.

I love the idea of having a politician as the ultimate villain. How many of us haven't felt this way about particular politicians from the past or present?? Suzanne Collins did a fabulous job making President Snow loathsome. His relation with the color white (roses, hair) symbolizes his mental need to appear flawless, because he's afraid of losing his power--the dictatorship he's led for over twenty-five years.

Donald Sutherland did a great job portraying him, Can't wait for Catching Fire to come out on film!

And for your P setting of the day ...

                                                (photo credit barchick.com)

PARIS

Oo-la-la! Maybe it's the romance of this French city, or all the lights, but I like to think the artistic appeal has something to do with what makes Paris such a great setting. Everything about it just screams art, which is why it's probably inspired writers, poets, painters, etc. for years. The city itself is a character and offers a perfect setting for a story.

Ah, we'll always have Paris ...

But what about this for a setting:

                                                   (photo credit nasa.gov)

PLANES (and or airports)

Why do planes make a great setting? Because passengers are trapped, which adds an element of insecurity right off the bat. Throw in some complications and you've got a thriller at your finger tips. Just no snakes please. ;)

Also airports make an excellent setting. Think of all the different types of people you come across--all the possibilities! And people are either in a hurry, stuck and miserable, excited for their vacation, sad for their loss, or terrified of flying. Airports are one of the best place to people watch for character studies.

And as we've seen in The Terminal, the entire story can be set there.

And of course P is also for PIXIE PATROL, and in particular our resident Plotter ---


HARRIET PLOTTER is chock full of plot secrets and makes a great writer companion. Learn more in my sidebar by clicking on the icon. And by liking on Facebook.

Thanks so much for stopping by! What do you think of President Snow? Did you like how the HG trilogy ended? Ever been to Paris? Ever thought of a plane or airport for a story setting? Please share ...

23 comments:

mshatch said...

I only recently read the HG trilogy and I liked it much better than I thought I would. Especially the ending. And President Snow was horrifying!

Beth said...

Good villain choice.Although, one major disappointment I had withthe movie was that Snow didn't look the way Ithought he would.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great choices, for P post. good to read.

Yvonne.

michelle said...

I love Paris! I went there once, many many many moons ago...
I'm overdue for another visit! But the finances dictate otherwise... *sighs* but we'll see...

Writer In Transit

D.G. Hudson said...

Donald Sutherland is an excellent actor. Paris is an excellent city, and yes I have been there. I've written many Paris posts on my blog.

I've never seen Donald S. do anything but a great job no matter the role, and he's one of our Canadian actors.

Julie Flanders said...

I love Harriet Plotter. Just "liked" your page, I didn't know the pixies had their own! :)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Such PEEERRRRFFFECT choices...


Sorry we couldn't meet today. I hope your day isn't too crazy. Off to pick up Auntie... Lol.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Villainous politicians? Do they come any other way?

C. Lee McKenzie said...

President Snow was one bad ass.

Been to Paris a few times. I might need a refresher visit one of these days.

nutschell said...

I'm so looking forward to Catching Fire! Especially after seeing the trailer.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

M.J. Fifield said...

I just saw the trailer for Catching Fire yesterday. It made me that much more excited to see it.

Amy Jarecki said...

I'm thinking of an inanimate villain--Precious from Lord of the Rings. Yes, the ring was a villain of sorts.

Kas said...

I love the idea of a city being a character in itself. And agreed, President Snow was an excellent villain.

William Kendall said...

I haven't read the Hunger Games books, just saw the first movie. I do like Donald Sutherland in the role, but he's one of those actors you can't help but be drawn to watch.

Al Diaz said...

I think villainous and politicians are synonyms. I have not read Hunger Games but I do dream to go to Paris sometime. I love to see planes take off and land, but I do have serious problems when I'm in one.

Suzanne Furness said...

Great choice! Looking forward to Catching Fire too. Paris is on my bucket list to visit.

Jay Noel said...

Snow was a pretty good villain. I think Sutherland did an excellent job bringing the character to life.

I'd love to go to Paris...watch the French Open at Roland Garros.

Janeal Falor said...

Ack. As soon as I saw President Snow I got my punchy feelings out. That man *shakes fist* I'm really excited for Catching Fire as well. The trailer made me feel all sad that it doesn't come out until November.

Susan Kane said...

Donald Sutherland just keeps getting better and better.

Mark Means said...

I don't like flying, so I try not to think too much about planes :)

Lexa Cain said...

I haven't seen the HG movies ... or read the books. (Don't judge me - it takes a big effort to be this lazy!)
I love your Pixie Patrol! So adorable. <3

TaMara Sloan said...

I'm probably one of the only people on the planet who hasn't read (or seen) Hunger Games.

I love the thought of Paris or planes as perfect settings.

TaMara
Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

Heather M. Gardner said...

I hate seeing Donald as a bad guy. He's good at it but I prefer when he's the good guy.

:)

Heather