Monday, April 22, 2013

S is for ...

Welcome back! It's S Day!

And your S villain of the day is:

                                                              (photo credit getglue.com)

SILVA

From the latest James Bond film, Skyfall, Raoul Silva is the ultimate delicious villain. Oh man, I loved this guy. Played perfectly by Javier Bardem, and really just made the whole movie. A now cyberterrorist, Silva was once a special agent like Bond, but after enduring countless torture and solitary confinement to give up information, Silva turned against the only woman he ever had as a maternal role model: M. A woman who gave him up to the Chinese government.

Besides the fact he's a genius, what makes him so dangerous, is this former link to M and England. He knows the biz, so to speak, and knows what moves they'll make before they do. His mania is his flaw, though, and eventually leads to his demise by Bond. But up until that point, everything he does is fascinating and riveting.

Bardem truly stole the show in this film--one of the best Bond films ever, IMO.


And your setting of the day ...





SHIPS

From galleons to yachts to cruise ships to star ships, using a ship for your setting will not steer you wrong. (Pun intended!) It offers a sense of adventure and entrapment all at the same time, and so much can happen on a voyage! The dangers are countless! You can add a sense of antique charm with historical ships, or a sense of technological intrigue with sips of the future. Probably why so many stories and films use ships for the settings. 

And on that note, wishing you a bon voyage for your blog visits today!

Here's  little pixie in honor of S day:

Simone Souffle is our resident chef. Makes a great kitchen companion for the best or worst of cooks. See Pixie Patrol on my sidebar for more info. 

Thanks so much for stopping by here! Did you like Silva and/or Skyfall? Have a different Bond film that's your fave? How about ships? Do you prefer past or future? Always love to hear from you--

26 comments:

Heather M. Gardner said...

Oooh. I haven't seen the latest Bond but knowing how delicious the villain is I might have to rent it sooner!

Heather

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll take the Enterprise, thanks!

Old Kitty said...

Silva was the best villain for gorgeous Bond!! Yay!!!!!

Take care
x

S.K. Anthony said...

OMG I totally forgot I needed to watch Skyfall! I didn't get a chance to watch it and then I forgot o.0

The ships, I prefer the futuristic ones, all the possible technologies are amazing to me ;)

Susan Roebuck said...

Coo! A blond Javier - I didn't recognize him until I read your text. I adore ships - the older the better. Thanks for the pictures.

Barbara Watson said...

I just watched Skyfall several weeks ago. Loved it! And dare I say...it was the first 007 movie I've watched! :-)

Janeal Falor said...

There are so many great ship locations. Love how you brought up space ships as well. Some of my favorite stories/movies take place on either type of ship.

Kate said...

Seriously one of my favorite villains of all time! I loved him because even though he was totally evil, I still found myself sympathetic to him and loving him.

Mark Means said...

I thought Silva has been on of the better Bond villains in recent times.

I didn't realize it was the same guy from "No Country for Old Men" until about halfway into "Skyfall".

Gina Gao said...

Silva is definitely one of my favorite Bond characters of all time. This is a really great post!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Bardem steals all of the movies he's in. What a fabulous actor!

Brandon Ax said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mshatch said...

Javier is an amazing actor and he sure knows how to play bad. I have some ships in my current wip but they aren't the kind that sail the seas :)

Brandon Ax said...

Not sure if this is a spoiler alert or not so if it is.
***SPOILER ALERT***
When he takes his teeth out i was like whoa and my kids were freaked, lol.

M.J. Fifield said...

Silva was a terrific villain in a terrific movie.

My favorite ship is the Serenity. Battlestar Galactica comes in second.

Carrie-Anne said...

I love the old steamships and cruise ships, but then again, I'm very biased as a historical writer. I think it's kind of sad that we no longer travel across the ocean in ships, but just take aeroplanes. There's something more personal and interesting about traveling on a ship, particularly since it takes longer than an aeroplane. You have more time to settle in and feel at home if you have your own cabin, and amenities like a Palm Court and dining hall.

Natalie Aguirre said...

I haven't seen this movie yet, but great choice for S.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great S post, I wait until the films appear on the TV before seeing them.

Yvonne.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Great villain...and fun settings. I love your pixie! :) So cute

Joanne Fritz said...

Really? It's one of the best Bond films ever and I haven't seen it?? Gosh, I guess I'll have to rent it now. I still prefer Sean Connery as Bond... in just about any of them, but especially Goldfinger or From Russia With Love.

As for ships, I get seasick pretty easily, but if it's just for fun, I'd prefer the Enterprise!

Cute pixie.

William Kendall said...

Silva's a terrific Bond villain, and yes, Skyfall is outstanding!

DiscConnected said...

I feel a little guilty saying that Skyfall is the best....you're supposed to say Sean Connery was the ultimate Bond...but Daniel Craig stole the title (in my opinion)!

And Barden was downright creepy!

Al Diaz said...

if you don't say that's Javier Bardem I don't think I would have recognized him.
I think I would like the Enterprise for a ride. :)

J.L. Murphey said...

I haven't watched it yet. But will tonight and let you know.

Angela Ackerman said...

He was a great villain, wasn't he? Smiling, reasonable...it was chilling. I think my fav was Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds. And Hannibal Lector. *shivers*

Marie Bulatao said...

Hi! Silva sure is one great villain! Marie from http://www.mommyunwired.com/