Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for ...

Happy Tuesday. Isn't that great they managed to match up T day with Tuesday?? Talented folks at A to Z Challenge.

So in honor of terrific T, here's your villain of the day ...

                                                       (photo credit fanpop.com)

THE NOTHING

May be hard to tell what that is in the pic, but it was once the Ivory Tower of Fantasia, now floating in space, thanks to The Nothing. From The Neverending Story, The Nothing isn't like your typical bad guy villain. But it's a villainy all the same--one brought on by the lack of kids' imagination. Egads! What an awful thought!The Nothing consumed the world of Fantasia little by little, and the only way  it could be beaten, was by the hopes and dreams of a little boy.

The story of course is totally farfetched fantasical but as a child when it came out, this movie rocked it for me. Plus, this guy right here was pretty darn scary:

photo credit fanpop.com

Gmork was the sentinel to The Nothing. His green eyes haunted me for the longest time. And let's face it, the thought of a great nothing taking over the world because kids forget how to use their imagination is probably the scariest idea I've ever heard!!!


And your T setting of the day is: 

photo credit visit-transylvania.us

TRANSYLVANIA

And not just because it's home to Count Dracula's castle. Of course, that's what makes it famous and puts it on the map for people all over the world. But there are many reasons to use Transylvania as a setting, as it's nestled in the mountains of Romania and holds a historic village charm about it. 

I've always wanted to visit (with garlic and crucifix in tote of course)

What about a 

THEATER

Theaters make great settings as well, and for my last story, The Desiree, I studied theaters for a long time before writing it. I used the setting of a vintage theater turned classic movie palace and as intended, the setting became its own character in the story. 

And here's a pixie for T day:


Twyla Amberlight is Pixie Patrol's resident nightmare slayer--keeping bad dream vibes at bay for a restful night's sleep. (And according to a sweet little girl I know, she works!)  Learn more at my sidebar!      

How about you? Ever been to Transylvania? Like old theaters? Remember The Neverending Story? Have a T fave T villain? Please share ...       

19 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great as always and so interesting and educational.

Yvonne.

J.L. Murphey said...

I absolutely loved The Neverending Story! If one doesn't dream then the world is truly lost.

Transylvania is a beautiful town. It's a step back in time. Although it has all the modern conveniences, they are hidden by the rich history.

Michael Offutt, "Johnny on the Spot" said...

Oh my...I never expected the neverending story to crop up somewhere in this challenge. *giggle.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

Nothing scarier than The Nothing! Haven't been to Transylvania, but it's never been on my list of places I want to go. Maybe I should rethink that.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I loved Never Ending Story. And still loving my pixie too!

Zoe said...

I think I was too old when the Never...Story came out. I remember not liking it (blasphemy I know.) I also would like to go to Transelvania and am going to go check out the sites now...online you dont have to wear the garlic but it helps.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

I love the Never Ending Story...one of my favorites. Great villain :)

mshatch said...

I loved The Neverending Story even though I was long past being a kid. Kid at heart, though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I was older when that movie came out and it just never connected. I feel bad about that since everyone seems to really like it.

Andrew Leon said...

I'm with Alex on the never connecting with Neverending. It just didn't do it for me. And the dragon looked like a dog, which bothered me to no end.
But it had The Flash in it, so I watched it for that.

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

I didn't really enjoy the movie, but loved the idea of it and the characters. But I'd go to Transylvania too!

Beth said...

yay for transylvania!

Janeal Falor said...

I can hear them say now, "The Nothing." in that creepy voice. Loved that show as a kid.

michelle said...

The grisly Gmork looks genuinely gross!

Twyla Amberlight? Charming... it sounds so magical.

Writer In Transit

Susan Kane said...

We loved the Racing Snail and the Rock Eater best of all. If only the cheezy music could be taken out and something better used.

William Kendall said...

Transylvania is a great setting for any story. I'd love to see the place myself someday.

Heather M. Gardner said...

That movie must have scared me because I only remember watching it once.

I would love to tour Romania. Looks beautiful.

Heather

Carrie-Anne said...

I love old movie palaces and enjoy using them in my own 20th century historicals. Back before AMC (American Movie Channel) jumped the shark, they used to have a little feature where they'd show mini-tours of classic movie palaces that were still standing.

I actually have seen The Neverending Story, even though I'm by and large really clueless about most of the movies that were made in my lifetime.

Mark Murata said...

I loved the scene in The Neverending Story where the kid sees paintings in a cave of all his adventures up to this point. Then he sees the painting of the Gmork. Guess what happens next.