Wednesday, April 24, 2013

U is for ...

Unbelievably the most unique letter in the alphabet. Unctuous and ubiquitous.



And your villain of the day is ...


UMBRIDGE (Professor Dolores)

And what a villain she is, eh?? The Prim and proper kitten lover is truly a wolf in sheep's clothing and every student's worse nightmare. Of course, she believes she's the one in the right, as all credible villains do. Maybe a little too much so in her case. I just love when she gets her prissy butt kicked by the centaurs!!


And for your setting:

                                             photo credit finzionimagazine.it

UTOPIA

What do you consider utopia? Probably differs for all of us. I liked the idea in the movie The Beach--living in an island paradise as a commune with their own rules, which of course, didn't always go well. Star Trek Insurrection also had a nice version with the Ba'ku race who chose to live in harmony with nature instead of their technologically advanced society.

What's really appealing, is creating a utopian setting all your own. But as with all positives, there must be a negative for that yin and yang balance. Or you could go the opposite end of the spectrum and create a dystopic setting. Those are always fun.

How about you? Prefer dystopias or utopias? Ever create a utopian setting? How about Prof. Umbridge as a villain? Ever have any teachers like her?? I can think of one, as well as a bus driver ...

27 comments:

J.L. Murphey said...

I prefer a combination of both...in other words a normal, everyday life.
Umbridge's tinkling laugh is a haunting sound. Pleasant until you realize the evil beneath it.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Good U words, starting to get to the difficult letters now,

Yvonne.

Brandon Ax said...

Man Umbridge still gets me I know people like her so when I read the book it just made me feel their pain at having to deal with her.

Old Kitty said...

You gotta have your ying with your yang!! Balance is all!

Oh I so remember a teacher moulded in Prof Umbridge's image! EW! LOL!

Take care
x

Natalie Aguirre said...

The absolutely perfect villain for U.

SA Larsenッ said...

I love unctuous! Great word. I have to use that in my writing.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

So long as we have both good and evil in this world, we'll never have Utopia.

Al Diaz said...

The woman made such a terrific job with her role that nobody would fail to hate her.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh, who else but Umbridge. Such an evil, heinous character!

Mark Means said...

I also like when Umbridge got her come-Uppance :)

M.J. Fifield said...

Umbridge was a terrific villain. It's fantastic when she gets her comeuppance at the end. I also love it in the books when the Weasley twins tell Peeves to give her hell, after having done just that themselves.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

I prefer the Pollyanna view, but keep an eye on what's real. I'd rather think things will be better than that they will be worse.

nutschell said...

never thought i'd see Umbridge and Utopia in the same post:) well done!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Andrew Leon said...

I think Umbridge was more villainous than Voldemort.

Johanna Garth said...

Isn't it interesting how books about Utopia's always turn them into oppressive regimes. I wonder if it's just our human imagination can't picture a perfect world?

Jay Noel said...

I like both utopias and dystopias. My idea of a utopia is somewhere warm and sunny. On a beach. Without bills.

Professor Umbrige was a mean witch!

Carrie-Anne said...

I don't think a real utopia could last very long before turning into a dystopia. The brainwashed masses in the classic dystopias truly believe they live in a utopia.

Michael Di Gesu said...

THIS is the THIRD UMBRIDGE I've seen today. LOL.

LOVE this character, but the book portrayal was far superior...


WE need to see each other next week... I have about a dozen hugs to give you from various bloggers and a few more happy greetings... i'm losing count. LOL.

Christine Rains said...

Umbridge is one of my most hated villains. She was vile. More so because she believed she was doing the right thing.

Zoe said...

unctuous...what a fabulous word...how great to have three U's in one word...its just sooooo ....unctuous...

Janeal Falor said...

Umbridge -- There's a single word that makes me feel all grumpy and fist shakey. That woman... Good thing she's fictional.

William Kendall said...

Umbridge, in book and film... she's so seemingly well mannered, but in a way that's like fingernails on a blackboard, and once you really get to know her, she's taking out the daggers.

Imelda Staunton played her so well.

Kas said...

I nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award on my blog. : ]

And yes! Umbridge is such a wonderfully horrible villain.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

Great U picks! :)

michelle said...

Wouldn't Utopia have its own brand of inherent evil? (I'm wondering if Utopia really exists...)

Writer In Transit

Maria Dunn said...

I am so uninformed that I had never heard of dystopia until the other day and now twice in a week. It was a high school assignment to develop a dystopia. I don't think Utopia can exist except in one's imagination. It will be corrupt by its very nature. Thanks for another villainous post! God bless, Maria at Delight Directed Living

Heather M. Gardner said...

In the book Umbridge was certainly annoying and a pain in the butt. But, I didn't actually hate her until the movie. That actress played that part so well.

Heather