Friday, April 26, 2013

W is for ...

Let's see, what W villains do I have for you today .... Hmm ... Ah, yes!

                                           photo credit filmexperience.blogspot.com

ANNIE WILKES

Remember this wackadoo? From the book and film Misery, another wolf in sheep's clothing, convinced she's doing the right thing. And ironically, a nurse! And let's face it, she's an author's worst nightmare. Through a series of psychological and physical tortures, Annie forces famed author, Paul Sheldon, to write a character he killed off (Misery) back into life in a new book. All the while, insisting she's his number one fan.

Kathy Bates was magnificent in this role, wasn't she? And I do believe it put her on the map of stardom.

How about this guy:

                                                                photo credit fark.com

WARDEN

That's right! The warden from Shawshank Redemption. Like any great villain, he's a hundred percent convinced he's in the right. And after all, he is a warden to a penitentiary housing some awful criminals. You have to have the upper hand there, be firm. Run a tight ship. But what makes him such a vile villain, is the fact he totes around a Bible and quotes scripture, yet when it comes time for him to do the right thing and help an inmate who may not be guilty, his evil hypocrisy shines through.

He's just a regular guy with no special powers, other than being in charge--but sometimes, that produces a villainy in the worst way.

And hey! Pure coincidence both my villains today were created by Stephen King. But then, he's quite the master storyteller, so really not all that shocking.

And your setting of the day:

                                                           photo credit freefoto.com

WATER

Just something about water, isn't there?? It can be serene and relaxing, or tumultuous and life threatening. But make no mistake, using water as your setting, is always an opportunity to set the mood and tone. Underwater, on top of water, neverending rain, waterfall portals ....

But no Waterworld please. As much as I've tried to like that movie, because you know, it's a dystopic world on water! I love that idea! It's just plain bad. Unlikeable characters and un-gripping plot. You may feel differently, and if you do, I'd love to hear about it in the comments. I have a bro-in-law who does love Waterworld. *cringes*

Ok, your turn! How do you feel about today's villains, Wilkes and Warden? Ever used water for a setting? Have any fave stories that do? Please share ...  

22 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Wackadoo. Such a funny word.
My last two books are set on a desert planet, so not a lot of water around.

Brandon Ax said...

Man I do remember her. That would not be a very good time as an author. I agree there is something about water it is sort of magical. I don't know how I feel about water world when I was younger I liked it, now when I try to watch it I can't make it all the way through. Same with the Postman.

Editors At Work said...

Kathy Bates is so good looking, I could never understand how she pulled off that look in the movie. I suppose that's acting talent.

Jess said...

Good ones! Misery is one of those movies all authors should watch (on Halloween, preferably, due to the creepy nature of the movie). Love the Shawshank Redemption shout-out. That's one of my favorite movies!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Good ones as all the others have been.
Have a good week-end.

Yvonne.

J.L. Murphey said...

Although Kathy Bates has played a lot of varied roles somehow her role in Misery stand out in my mind when I think of her.

Brinda said...

Kathy Bates did an unbelievable job in that role.

Old Kitty said...

A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewski!!!! The bestest sci-fi book about sea people!! Take care
x

mshatch said...

I read Misery but unlike many of King's books, I only read it once. It was too horrifying and it made me too angry. Which just shows how good King is at his game.

Andrew Leon said...

I really liked Shawshank, but it's been too long since I've seen it.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Both of those villains were great on the page - yeh, Stephen King! - and the actors made them even more terrifying and mean on screen.

Happy A-Z!

M.J. Fifield said...

Both of those characters were fantastic villains. Kathy Bates was terrific.

Mark Means said...

Kathy Bates did a great job in "Misery". I've never seen Shawshank Redemption, but it's one of my dad's favorite films...I'll have to put it on my TBW list.

Jay Noel said...

So Anne was plain crazy.

The Warden was definitely a sociopath. He felt above the law (legal and biblical). Plus the dude was greedy.

In my writing, I create complex villains. In fact, my villains are believe they are heroes.

William Kendall said...

Annie is such a memorable villain, both in the book and the film. And the Warden... what a despicable man!

C. Lee McKenzie said...

I just have to see that still of Annie Wilkes and I shudder. What at great job Kathy Bates did in that film.

Akoss said...

I love Waterworld, in the "this movie is so bad but I can't help myself" way. :)
Talking about water, it freaks me out and I still have yet to find the courage to learn how to swim. But I love underwater stories for some reason. That's odd I know.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh my gosh I hated the Warden so much. And Annie Wilkes is still scary just from that photo. Great pics. :)

Carrie-Anne said...

One of the soft sci-fi/futuristic books in my to-be-written queue is set late in this millennium, primarily in an undersea community. I loved the idea of a future city in coral houses and buildings, deep under the sea.

Zoe said...

I think these two villains coupled with water which can often scare the hell out of me are some of the creepiest youve had during the whole blog hop....I think because they are just pure realistic crazy-ass.

Trisha F said...

Annie Wilkes - creepazoid! But Kathy Bates is totally talented!

I personally love water, and I think maybe my enchantment with it is partly to do with its awesome and at times terrifying power!

Nice post :)

James Garcia Jr. said...

Hey, PK. Great choices for villains there. Yeah, that put Kathy Bates on the map alright, and she's proved that the attention was well worth it. She's one fantastic actress.
I realized recently that fires break out in all three of my novels, so a lot of water would have been useful to put them out. I swear I don't set fires for fun... ;)

-Jimmy