Saturday, June 15, 2013

Following the Signs

You know what I mean? When life seems to be pointing you in a certain direction. Maybe it's coincidence, or maybe goes deeper. But certain instances occur like tiny blips on life's radar--almost unnoticeable.

Then finally you start tracking the blips and think, "This seems like more than coincidence. These feel like signs. Everything's lining up perfectly."

And then you think you're completely daft, reaching for something that's not there. Doubting the signs, 'cause, you know, sounds so hokey and you live in the real world here. But something so haunting and so alluringly maddening keeps drawing you back ...

Connect the dots. Open your mind.

"Wake up, young man. It's time to wake up." (Mad Season song lyric I couldn't resist including)

No matter how small or seemingly insignificant, these recurring signs keep popping up at different times.

Blip
Blip
Blip

Suddenly, there it is, right in front of you: opportunity. Are you going to go for it? Okay, so maybe it won't pan out. Maybe you'll fail. Maybe it ends up being a shot in the dark and waste of time.

But what if it's not? What if those little signs were right, and instead of being afraid of them and close-minded, you give it your all and throw yourself headfirst into making it work.

Because you believe. And maybe it's been awhile since you've really believed in something. Maybe it's been awhile since you felt the passion that's now stirring inside you, and it feels so bloody good, you wonder how you've been asleep for so long.

Life rejuvenates us this way. Along our ordinary, uneventful life pathway, we're graced with these instances--when little signs start to blip again, and we raise our heads and take note; remain open.

We tell Doubt to take a hike and let us enjoy this new found fervor. We've connected the dots to something bigger. We follow the signs.

Now it's up to our hard work and dedication to see it through.

Does this make sense to you? Have you noticed any signs pointing you in a certain direction? Could be anything from relationships to creative endeavors to making a drastic life change. Did you follow the signs? I hate to sound so strangely mystical when I say this, but lately, the signs in my life have connected in such a haunting way, that I'm stricken with awe. How about you?
 

37 comments:

shelly said...

I guess I'm pretty mystical, too. I believe in that stuff, too. I've been so close to so many things, I could almost taste it. Law School for one. Getting a certain part in a play or a commercial (have two under my belt).

Sometimes you just know.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Lexa Cain said...

Now I'm dying to know what all your "blips" are. I sure hope something wonderful is in your future!

I'm afraid my life lessons are more along the line of: If something can go wrong, it will. Everything takes three times longer than you think it will. And nothing is ever as good as you thought it would be. :P

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I'm with Lexa! I want to know what BLIPS you're hearing right now!

As for following the signs ... I didn't venture out of my established genre to explore an idea that wouldn't leave me alone.

And fell into a wonderful opportunity.

Does that count?

Roger Lawrence said...

I believe in the blips and have had some good ones in my time. Now that I'm married with a bra beautiful daughter, I find it easier to resist the ones with invisible but still clearly dangerous strings attached.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Sure! Why do you think I've hesitated to write again? So much is pointing at my music right now.

Brandon Ax said...

OH yeah this is something I have noticed my whole life.

Sometimes I miss the boat other times I have jumped on board and been very pleasantly surprised.

Crystal Collier said...

Yup. That's how we ended up in NYC several years ago, and man, was that a rush! I call those blips divine guidance, and if we're paying attention and following them, they increase and grow closer together.

Awesome post.

Annalisa Crawford said...

There have been a couple of signs in my life... well, more like whacks over the head with a plank of wood, but I know where you're coming from :-)

J.L. Murphey said...

I like to think of them as speed bumps on the road of life. They could be good or bad, but either way you slow down and pay attention.

Norma Beishir said...

There's no such thing as coincidence. Everything happens for a reason. Even the seemingly insignificant incidents propel us forward, toward our destination.

Milo James Fowler said...

Great post -- I can relate. Follow the path, but don't feel bound by it. Always be free to strike out into uncharted territory.

The Desert Rocks said...

Yes PK I'm in awe too, but I guess I always believed it and only recently see how important it is....

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Absolutely! These cosmic nudges have happened to me my whole life. I call it serendipity.

jamieayres.com said...

I sure do believe in signs! The first day of high school when I walked into my 4th period computer class I saw a boy sitting in the back row & I heard an audible voice in my head saying I would marry him someday. We celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in August :D

SA Larsenッ said...

This actually does make tons of sense to me. I'm a firm believer in roads presenting themselves to us; we need to weigh our options, where are currently in life, and then proceed. Not always easy, but it's growth.

Zoe Byrd said...

IT seems that I dont connect them until later. I am often blind to the fact that I am following them in the moment then I look back and say...wow, thats what was happening there.

michelle said...

I've responded to some of these in my life... it hasn't always been a "cut-and-dried" experience... one or two have been frightening... but I'm not sorry I did so!
Writer In Transit

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

I do believe in those intuitions. They've presented themselves several times in my life and I generally listen to them. My dad had them with horses. If he had the feeling and bought the horse it was nearly always a good choice.

erica and christy said...

I do. Also, I'm dying to know what signs you've been getting and what direction they're leading you in!!! christy

Beth said...

Awesome post, but I have seen no signs.

Carol Riggs said...

Interesting stuff to ponder! I believe in little signs and nudges to where I'm supposed to be, and following them. I also believe in God, so I attribute those things to God. I just try to go where I think God wants me to go. :)

Deniz Bevan said...

Makes sense to me :-)
The trick is to learn to trust your heart - and not to force your head to weave patterns that aren't there.

Mama J said...

Like the others, I want to know what your blips are. And where they're leading.

Catherine Stine said...

Some things are pure coincidence, and others well, are full of amazing serendipity. As I get older I seem to be able to discern the difference between one and the other.

C. Lee McKenzie said...

So much is pointing us in the right direction. The key is to pay attention. Great that you're doing just that.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Yes, sometimes it's truly amazing these little 'blips' that you call them. I had a whole day of little blips yesterday and continued into today. I'm wondering what your blips were....

Madeleine Sara said...

Yes I can relate to what you have said, though at the moment I am waiting for the signs. I feel like my life has been on hold for such a long time. I guess I am looking for signs to know which direction to take...

nutschell said...

Boy i sure need some of that rejuvenation right now. I say follow the signs!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Yoav ulmart said...

you are one hundred percent right, every little blip is a sign to us sometimes for a "yes" (to do) and some times for a "no" (not to do) but one think for sure these signs are strictly for us people, and we need to judge with our brain and to be very realistic what is that sign for us.

Mark Murata said...

The blips are usually wrong, so I don't follow them. Unless they're in the form of wise advice from friends, so then it's good to take heed.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I hope all your signs lead you somewhere wonderful!

Maalai said...

Thanks for the information... I really love your blog posts... specially those on Local Tamil News

Romance Reader said...

Hi PK,

Wherever there's risk, there's a buzz. No buzz, no life.

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

I believe we are definitely meant to follow our dreams sensibly yet fearlessly. Sometimes it works other times no, but with each try, we're reaching our goals. Writer’s Mark

William Kendall said...

Sometimes those moments do happen to us. We've got to see them for what they are as they come along.

DL Hammons said...

This year its about getting from one day to the next. Next year I'll look back and try to figure out what it all meant. :)

Jay Noel said...

I see recurring numbers everywhere I go. 1111, 111, 444, and 333. Clocks, receipts, office room numbers, etc.

Very weird.

Happy 4th of July!!!!