Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Writerly Friends

One of the best things about the writerly path and platform, is the friends we make along the way. Real friends we can confide in and celebrate with, help encourage and sometimes cry with. No matter where we are on our path, someone's either been there before, or are on their way, which is why I find  social media--in particular blogging--so advantageous.

Sure, it's a major time-suck, but if you're a writer (which I believe most of us are) where else can you find such a wealth of like-minded individuals to lean on and share knowledge and support with?

In my personal life, I can't. No one else understands this path, and attempting to explain wouldn't demonstrate the magnitude. Sometimes we're up. Other times we're down. And only our fellow writers truly understand this roller coaster of emotion--the peak of hopes, and the valleys of despair.

No one get's to pick and choose. There'll always be a negative critique or review, a gut-wrenching revision or heartbreaking rejection. We are artists swimming through an ocean of opinions. Will we sink or float? Or will the sharks get us?

One thing's for sure, swimming is much easier with a support system of writerly friends cheering me on, offering life vests of support, pushing me as far as my creativity will take me.

You do that for me with every post. I share my path with you, and you take the time to read and comment and share your own paths. Of course, at times, it's about promotional reciprocity, and that's okay, because that's where we help each other. But in this industry, you can't have too many friends, and what a fabulous way to make more of them--by helping to promote each other's work.

Today I'm sharing two wonderful writers who I met very early on. I was a brand new blogger without a clue what I was doing, and both of these lovely ladies welcomed me into the blogosphere with open arms and became writerly friends--not because they wanted something, but because they're genuinely kind, helpful people.

And since today's Indie Wednesday, one of them is an indie, and the other pubbed through a small press. Both are totally worth celebrating!


Along the Way Home by Christi Corbett is a “sweet” historical romance about a family and their trail guide’s adventures on the 1843 Oregon Trail. It released in ebook format on June 11, 2013 and in print sometime in July of 2013. It will be available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Astraea Press (her publisher) and wherever ebooks are sold.

Click HERE for her awesome book trailer. 

About Christi
She's addicted to coffee, sticky notes, and the Oxford Comma. She lives in a small town in Oregon with her husband and twins. Her home’s location was especially inspiring as she wrote Along the Way Home because the view from the back door is a hill travelers looked upon years ago as they explored the Oregon Territory and beyond.

(how cool is that??)

Social Media Links:
When she's not writing Christi loves chatting with readers and writers alike. You can find her in one of the following locations:
Twitter: @ChristiCorbett
Facebook: Christi Corbett—Author

She has several Pinterest pages, including ones about inspirations behind Along the Way Home, Oregon Trail landmarks, horses, cowboys, writing funnies, and lots of fun ideas for EASY crafts with the kiddos.

Bravo, Christi!! Christi's been working on this book a long time and her debut is very well deserved!! 

And now for ...


 Dragonfly by Leigh T. Moore

Falling in Love Changes Everything…

Three bad things I learned this year:
-People you trust lie, even parents. 
-That hot guy, the one who’s totally into you, he might not be the one. 
-Things are not always how they appear.

Three good things I learned this year:
-Best friends are always there for you, even when they’re far away. 
-That other hot guy, the one who remembers your birthday, he just might be the one. 
-Oh, and things are not always how they appear.

Leigh Talbert Moore is the author of the popular young adult romantic comedy The Truth About Faking, its companion The Truth About Letting Go, and the mature YA/new adult romantic suspense novel Rouge, a Quarter Finalist in the 2013 Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.

She is an award-winning journalist and editor, who has also worked in marketing and public relations for many years. Her writing has appeared in newspapers and magazines across the southeast and Midwest U.S., and she runs the popular writing-craft blog That’sWrite.

A southern ex-pat and beach bum, she currently lives with her husband, two young children, and one grumpy cat in the Midwest.

Connect online:


Read excerpts of her books on Wattpad and Figment!

Way to go, Leigh!!

If you don't already know these ladies, be sure to stop by their blogs and say hello and congrats! They're sure to welcome you into their writerly worlds and always eager to share their path. 

I mentioned earlier today 's Indie Wednesday, so head on over to the Indelibles for more info on the indie world if you're considering it. I also wanted to mention the amazing chat that happened last week on NALitChat regarding Indie vs. Traditional. There was an audio chat with two bestselling authors, as well as a typical Twitter chat happening with so much great info. The transcribes should be available soon so check it out by clicking here!! And click on the picture below to get to The Indelibles.


Thank you so much for stopping by here! My posts will be pretty random over the summer--meaning the kids have me so busy I'll do my best to post when I can. So I'm always grateful when you take time to visit me. And I always look forward to seeing what you're up to as well. 

What do you think of the writerly path? Made a lot of friends? Still feeling your way around? Excited to read Along the Way Home and Dragonfly?? Please share ...

32 comments:

shelly said...

Good friends are far and few in between. Good post!

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Shared and tweeted.

Mama J said...

The community of writers online are very important to me as, like you said, they know all about the ups and downs we go through and they are also so supportive.

Group hug everyone?

Laurel Garver said...

I'll be celebrating my fourth "blogoversary" next month, and can honestly say if it weren't for the wonderful friendships I'd developed over these years, I probably would have given up writing back in 2009. As you said, those not in the trenches don't understand the joys and heartaches quite as well.

Congrats to Christi and Leigh also!

Karen Walker said...

I love what you said about writers in the blogging world versus people we know in our "real" lives, Pk. So true. No one truly understands except those walking the same path. And I did not know about Indie Wednesday. Thanks for the info

Barbara Watson said...

I feel just this way about my writerly friends, too. They understand things others can't; not because the others don't want to, they just can't.

Love your celebrations! I knew about Leigh's release, but man, Christi's sounds wonderful too!

Old Kitty said...

All the best to the lovely Christi and a big big YAY to gorgeous and amazing LTM!!

Supportive writerly pals are rare treasures indeed!

Take care
x

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Dragonfly is awesome!! (I was a CP, so I have advanced knowledge of this said awesomeness.) :) Thanks for being part of indie life!

mshatch said...

I feel the same way you do, PK: extremely fortunate to have found such good friends and this whole community of writers.

SA Larsenッ said...

Hmmm...I've never met Christi, but she sounds amazing. And, of course, I know Leigh. :) Don't know what I'd do without her.

I completely agree with you about the importance of our cyber writing peeps.

Laura Pauling said...

Friends - writing friends - are always to be celebrated. I couldn't do without them!

LD Masterson said...

When I first stumbled into the online writing community, I was stunned but the wealth of information and honest support I found there. And, yes, I'm made some friendships that extend offline now, as well.

Tony Van Helsing said...

You've just described life in general, not just a writers life.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So agree that writer friends are so important. And blogging is one of the best ways to make those kind of friends. You're right. It does take time, but it's worth it.

And congrats to Christi and Leigh. I know Leigh and am excited for her.

Elle Strauss said...

I think I would've quick this journey long ago if it weren't for the fabulous writers community I've found online.

Thanks for shouting out two great fellow writers!

Johanna Garth said...

Congratulations to both Leigh and Christi.

You summed up exactly why I still expend so much energy blogging. The community is so supportive and vast. No one understands the ups and downs of writing as well as all my blogger writer friends!

nutschell said...

I can totally relate. That's why i love surrounding myself with writer friends. Only they can get my crazy writer side.
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

christicorbett said...

PK,

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your blog and your readers with me today. You're support means a lot!

Thank you everyone for your kind words about Along the Way Home. It's a book that took me forever to push/pull/shove over the publishing finish line (thirteen years, with lots of stops and restarts), so celebrating its release yesterday has been an amazing experience!

Congratulations to Leigh as well!

Christi Corbett

Deniz Bevan said...

I agree with you - I love meeting fellow authors, through blogs especially. Very few of the people in my day-to-day life are writers, so it's nice to 'talk shop' now and again!

Mark Means said...

You hit the nail on the head, PK, this is a great and supportive community :)

J.L. Murphey said...

Nobody understand a word like "editing" and all that it entail like another author. You are right.

My husband watches me in amazement. Because he doesn't write. He knows the anguish because all the soup and a sandwich or late suppers while I beat my head against the keyboard while editing.

Everyday I thank God for the internet, if only to know I'm not alone or the only other one who has troubles.

Mark K said...

Certainly proves, what goes around comes around. Kudos to you :)

PS: hope you prefer the image I now use - I recall you saying the cat's eye freaked you out a bit? ;)

Al Diaz said...

I hear you. I've been without internet connection for several days and I miss my writer friends sooooooooooo much it's a miracle I haven't gone crazy already. This community is a blessing for any writer. :)

jamieayres.com said...

Happy Indie Day! I'm so thankful for blogger buddies like you, and I want to read Dragonfly!

E.J. Wesley said...

Hear! Hear! Extremely well-said, PK. And of my writerly friends, you're definitely one of my favorites. :)

I do get to pick my favorites, right? :P

LTM said...

Hey--THANKS for having me here today, PK! And congrats to Christi as well!

You're right, some of my closest friends are here in the blogging community. Many of them are right up there in the comments above me! THANKS to them as well for all the kind words and encouragement.

I think it works because as writers, we're used to living through the written word, you know? So it's easy for us to express and receive support that way.

OK--I'll stop being philosophical now! LOL! But I'm thankful for good friends like you~ <3 <3

Editors At Work said...

Hi PK

Writing friends are the best. Such a supportive community.

Scarlett and James said...

Well said, PK!

Congratulations to Christi and to Leigh.

Jeff Hargett said...

The writing community (online) continues to impress me. While most every other corner of the internet is replete with cloaked hit-and-run attacks of the most vicious sort, this community is a true support system that celebrates the accomplishments of others and lends a helping hand without sending an invoice.

Carol Riggs said...

Absolutely! Blogging is a very rewarding and wonderful time-suck, where you can meet like-minded writers who feel our pain and joy. I'm grateful for that!

William Kendall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
William Kendall said...

All the best to Christi and to Leigh!

erica and christy said...

Great post! I've gotten away from blogging and connecting with writers this year since I went back to working full-time and I've missed everyone. I'm so glad summer is here so I can reconnect. I bought ROUGE and now that summer is here I'll have time to read it. Leigh's other books look perfect for me too! Christy