Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Indie Life!

The second Wednesday of every month is a time for bloggers to share a bit of the Indie Life--what makes self-publishing viable and lucrative, and how we support each other through the process.

I'm not officially an Indie yet, but I really admire and respect those who have put the time and work into getting their books out there. And I'm considering ALL my options when it comes to my debut. For awhile now, I've been collecting data on the process of independent publishing, so if and when I choose that path, I'll know what to do.

Our very own blogosphere is a wealth of info. In particular, The Indelibles' blog, who host this monthly blogfest, and share all kinds of helpful tidbits on what to expect.

Click on the pic to get to their HDQ, but first, read on for my Indie Action Plan ...



Yep, you read that right, I'm forming an action plan for an Indie Debut. It feels like the right year for it, and hopefully by fall, I'll be ready. I'll be sharing every step of the way with you, my readers, so you can follow along on the process. But today, I'm sharing what I've devised so far, and hope you'll chime in with comments of anything you feel I may need to add.

ACTION PLAN

1. Set date for book launch
2. Final polishing of manuscript
3. Hire a proofreader/copy editor
4. Hire a cover designer
5. Have author photo taken
6. Format ms for eBook, including author bio and pic, acknowledgments, dedication, table of contents
7. Set date for cover reveal a month prior to release
8. Obtain blogger sign-ups for cover reveal
9. Run cover reveal blogfest
9. Set blogfest date for actual book launch and obtain blogger sign-ups
10. Have eBooks ready to roll on platforms (probably Amazon KDP and launch digitally first)
11. Book Launch on same day as blogfest with massive giveaway and contest! (Note: the blogfests will include a fun question for bloggers to answer that relates to the book. It's all about having fun, not just about self-promo)

So there you have it! That's what I've got so far. Can you think of anything else to add? Or any suggestions to what I already have? I'm excited to include all of you and hope you'll have fun sharing the process with me. Don't forget to stop by The Indelibles for more info on the Indie Life. 

29 comments:

Cherie Reich said...

Looks good! You might want to seek out some early reviewers too, who would be willing to have a review up around the launch date.

Damyanti said...

It all sounds good to me. Would like to sign up for cover reveals or the blog tour. I like marketing my fellow-authors !

Catherine Stine said...

sounds very organized! I'd add create a list of early arc readers to review, so that on the release day you already have reviewers ready to post.

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, excellent! I needed this! I am probably already behind, but there it is... I really DO need a release event, don't I?

Laura Pauling said...

sounds like a good action plan. It's always good to do the research first. The only other thing I'd include is setting up the small business: a banking account, doing-business-as name, are you going to use isbns. That aspect of publishing that no one finds very fun. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You've got a good plan!
If you do a blog tour, plan that at least three to five months in advance. The best sites fill up early.

L. Blankenship said...

Give yourself at least a month to set up accounts at the various ebook distributors -- Amazon, B&N, Kobo, Smashwords, etc. And don't forget about the business and income tax side of things!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, P.K.,
Sounds like you're highly organized. Planning is important, so I'm sure everything will go well.

Christine Rains said...

Awesome plan! You're very organized, and that will help you in the long run. :)

Brandon Ax said...

Sounds like you have a good plan going.

I'm actually trying the giveaway thing this go.

Can't wait to join up for this stuff an help you out.

Laurel Garver said...

What Laura said! Get the businessy stuff done ASAP. Some of the things like a press name and licenses take extra time. I did a post on some of that stuff here: http://laurelgarver.blogspot.com/2012/08/if-you-publish-you-cant-avoid-this.html.

Some of this stuff needs to be done even if you go traditional (and obviously if you go hybrid).

Andrew Leon said...

Just to note: If you use KDP, you can't use any other e-platform. If you do, Amazon can yank you completely for violating their terms.

On the other side of that, all other e-platforms combined make up an almost inconsequential amount of sales for most people.

Roger Lawrence said...

Now everyone will be copying your plan. I know I will.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like you're really organized. And how exciting for you!

Norma Beishir said...

Sounds like a good plan, PK--count me in for your cover reveal!

James Garcia Jr. said...

Sounds like a good plan, P.K., and you did well by sharing because now others can help you tweak it a bit where you may need it. I would join Andrew on the KDP thing and simply add that you may want to skip that part. I did the whole free days thing, etc., but I really didn't see the benefit. Readers load their e-readers with so many free books that they never read them all. My books are still only available on Amazon, but I'm no longer in the KDP program. I'm preparing soon to branch out to the rest. #justsayin

-Jimmy

J.L. Murphey said...

Yep, sounds good, but I agree with what Cherie said about early quotable reviewers. Review comments can make or break a sale.

Romance Reader said...

Sounds good! Awesome tips. Thanks for sharing PK.

Nas

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

I'm so glad you're researching. Some writers who jump in find they have no real idea how much work it takes, especially with the marketing.

jamieayres.com said...

You always have such smart ideas . . . can't wait to learn more from you and read your debut novel soon :-)

jamieayres.com said...

You always have such smart ideas . . . can't wait to learn more from you and read your debut novel soon :-)

Nancy LaRonda Johnson said...

That seems like one good action plan and I wish you the best with it. I didn't have an action plan as I had expected to be traditionally published, but was rudely awakened to the new world of publishing today. So I started behind, but am trying to make up ground. Writer’s Mark

Denise Covey said...

I love your plan. I wonder about setting the date first, as many have to change that as everything ends up taking longer than you think. You definitely need some reviews ready for Amazon. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

den.covey@gmail.com

Cally Jackson said...

How exciting, PK. Hope everything goes smoothly in the lead-up. As others have mentioned, I'd add early reviewers to your list. I'd be happy to put my hand up for an ARC. More than happy, actually, as I'm really looking forward to reading your book. :-)

DMS said...

What a great plan! It was awesome to see your organized list and one I may reference in the future! I liked the suggestions for early reviews too. I will be happy to help in any way I can. :)
~Jess

Carrie-Anne said...

If you have any potentially copyrighted material you want to use, like quotes at the beginning of a chapter or the book, I'd recommend touching base with someone who can negotiate that. I'd also suggest choosing what typeface you want for the cover and the text. It's so important for a book to have just the right font.

cleemckenziebooks said...

Great to have a list like this. Organization is one of the keys to doing the job well.

William Kendall said...

Looks like a thorough plan to me.

SC Author said...

Ohh souds fantastic! You have a lot on your plate. Good luck!