Wednesday, August 28, 2013

NA What???

So this past April when I began writing a new story, Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc., I realized my MC wasn't seventeen like I first thought. It didn't fit the maturity level of who I wanted her to be, or the style of the story.

It hit me: I'm not writing YA, I'm writing NA. And if you don't know what NA is, now is the time to be aware, because it's exploding in the book market. New Adult stories feature MCs between the ages of eighteen and twenty-five, and can be any genre!

When I first started out writing for publication, I was telling an NA story, but NA hadn't evolved yet, and I was told there is no such thing, therefore I must write YA or adult literature only.

Humph.

But hey, who am I to argue with the way things are done? So I obeyed the book gods that be and accepted myself as a YA writer. Not so bad. I love YA. But writing Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc. this past April reminded me how much more I prefer writing NA, and lucky for me, now there's a huge market for it.

Thanks to those amazing pioneer authors who continued to support the category and self-pub their stories when traditional editors were telling them they couldn't. *highfive to the NA brothers and sisters*

This fall, I'll be showcasing a number of NA authors and their stories, and if all goes as planned, I'll be asking for your help in participating in cover reveals and blogfests for my own book launch. I'm scuttling around like a squirrel to get arrangements made. More on that later. *tries to contain excitement*

If you want to learn more on the NA market, I suggest following the NA Alley blog, run by a bunch of great bloggers that you're probably already familiar with. And be sure to join us on Thursday nights for #NALITCHAT on Twitter at 9pm EST.

Today's NA spotlight is on:


Smooth talking. Ambitious. Loyal. Twenty-year-old Shay Reilly has proven himself to his Irish-American Gypsy clan on small-scale cons, but now the clan leader has a bigger mission for him: playing the long game. 

To rake in the big score he’s after, he needs to con co-ed Spencer into falling in love with him. He knows he should see Spencer as a mere means to an end, but that’s easier said than done when there’s a witty, attractive girl in your arms. 

Now the only thing that can keep them apart is the thing that brought them together: Shay’s plans of revenge against someone who wronged his clan and family years before—Spencer’s father



About the author J.L. Fynn: J.L. Fynn is the public face of a private identity. She enjoys making up stories about iniquitous heroes, providing Delphic answers to unasked questions, and obfuscating the truth just for laughs. But then, what’s an author but a professional liar? If you send her an email she might let you in on her little secret—assuming she likes your moxie.

 Find J.L. Flynn on the web here.

And also introducing the new cover for Ten Days by Olivia Mayfield:


Cally has to deal with the imminent failure of the machine that drives every aspect of her life, you feel her terror, her desire to wish it away, her shying away from everything changing forever. Instead of being told how bad it is, you experience it through her eyes.

Yay for sci-fi romance! Click on the cover to get to Amazon for purchase. Only 99 cents right now!

Olivia Mayfield is also Rhonda Helms, and you can find her on her blog here

Thanks so much for stopping by! Don't forget about the Twitter chat Thursday night!

Are you familiar with the NA boom? Write any NA? Do you remember how exciting life was from the ages 18-25?? More on that from me later. ;) 

30 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's right - you are part of the trend now! And writing what you want to write.

Crystal Collier said...

My goodness, at WriteOnCon that's what all the agents were asking for. "I'm tired of this genre, unless you have it in NA." It's a good place to be.

Norma Beishir said...

I'm wondering how many genres they're going to come up with! When I started out back in the late '80s, my editor kept saying I was writing "women's fiction." To this day, I'm not sure how it differs from romance....

Andrew Leon said...

I'm not really certain why we have to keep making smaller and smaller categories for books. >sigh<

jamieayres.com said...

I look back at RWA 2010 National conference and remember Kelley Armstrong and Ally Carter talking about NA and I just can't believe the explosion within the past year. I say it's about time!

Denise Covey said...

Hey Pk, well, I thought I was a savvy blogger, finger in every pie so to speak, and I didn't even know a website existed for NA. Sure I knew about it, and a couple of my books would fall into this category. How exciting. You've opened up a whole new world of possibilities! I've visited the blog you linked, and yes, I do know most of those people!

I would love to help your book launch when the time comes. And I have a very savvy cover girl who will advise you on choices. Go PK!

Brandon Ax said...

I get peoples complaint about the smaller genres that keep popping up. Still, I think it has to be looked at as a way for people to find your book easier among the sea of literature out there.

Congrats on finding your groove again. Can't wait to read it.

S.K. Anthony said...

*high fives you right back*
Yes, we are NA authors and we are not going anywhere ;)

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for your support, PK. Carole

Old Kitty said...

Yay for you!! Yes - you must obey your book and if it's screaming NA to you then so be it! All the best!

Take care
x

Libby said...

NA is exploding!!! Glad it's in time for your story to find a market. :)

J. A. Bennett said...

It's amazing how self-pubbing is changing everything the big guys thought they knew about books. They thought NA wasn't going to be big, and it exploded. Awesome for you for writing it the way you think you should :)

William Kendall said...

Both books do sound intriguing...

Romance Reader said...

These books sound interesting and if it takes me back to me being 18-25? Added Bonus!

Nas

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hey, PK...

Glad you found a new niche! Count me in for your cover reveal or hosting....

Misha Gericke said...

I'm so glad that NA is a growing market. Gives us a chance to write a story regardless of the character's age, instead of trying to force things into a particular age group.

Meradeth Houston said...

I started out writing NA, too, and was shuffled back into YA. I'm SO glad that NA is finally taking off so I can actually write in the age range I like most! Also, The Long Game sounds awesome!!

Damyanti said...

I'm so confused by all these genre. Isn't NA more or less adult? But if it helps your book snag a market, I'm all for being in trend :). All the best with your writing!

Beth said...

my first book was NA too. I'm going to rewrite it and it may or may not be NA. I'm glad that there is a genre that is actually about young adults. (YA is a misnomer since those kids are never adults). But I don't like that the overwhelming bulk of YA is sexually explicit. I wish someone would right voicey books about older teens/younger adults without the smut.

Beth said...

Oh and Meradeth Houston's NA is clean!

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

So happy you're writing what you love! It's important because your passion for it will be on display in your work. I only write for children, but I'm having fun with that.

Carrie-Anne said...

Some of my characters are NA-aged, though since I write historical, I'm a bit iffy on labeling those books as specifically NA. It's the same reason I'm so confused as to whether some of my historicals featuring teens and preteens are really considered YA in the modern market, since the typical young person's experience of 50+ years ago really isn't the same as a normal teen or twentysomething's experiences of today.

SC Author said...

NA seriously is exploding! I remember just a year ago so many people were saying NA just would not happen. Such a quick change!

Cynthia said...

I've had an idea or two for the NA market. Since NA is your thing, here's a post I came across at this year's WriteOnCon: http://writeoncon.com/08/13/4352/

DMS said...

I love that NA is becoming such a big market. I am not sure why it was not before- as I think it is a genre that is so important. I have enjoyed the NA books I have read before and would have liked more books like them when I was college age (everything was either younger or older). Glad you are getting to write what you love!
~Jess

Charmaine Clancy said...

It can be confusing with all these new genres, but it does help to narrow the niche.

Cathrina Constantine said...

You're right, I see NA busting out all over the place. Hardly a year ago there was such controversy over the genre. Way to go!

Suzi said...

Sometimes those characters just know where they need to go, don't they? :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Now that I've lost my writing blog, and now that I have a NA book coming out next year, I'm going to be focusing on showcasing NA novels on my new blog. I can't wait (even if it does feel strange not talking about writing anymore).

E.J. Wesley said...

Thanks for mentioning the Alley and the chat PK! As you already know, I'm thrilled you're joining the NA author ranks. :)

And don't forget me when you're arranging the blog tour for your book!