Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Kon-Tiki Writer and More ...

My family and I watched Kon-Tiki the other night, and I couldn't help applying it to the writing life. If you're not familiar with Kon-Tiki, it's the true story of Norwegian explorer, Thor Heyerdahl's quest to prove Peruvians discovered Polynesia.

                                                         (photo credit outsideonline.com)

That's the Kon-Tiki raft Thor sailed across the Pacific on, from Peru to Polynesia. He wrote a book about it back in the late 40s which went on to become a bestseller, and of course, the recent film is based on that. It's an amazing tale, and equally astounding journey of bravery, dedication, and belief in oneself. Thor and his men faced storms and sharks, among other things, but eventually achieved their goal and proved the naysayers wrong.

Before he set sail, Thor sought the support of magazines and publishers to help fund his journey. Not one of them believed in him. They said it couldn't be done. They said he was crazy. Yet, Thor believed in himself, and made it to Peru, where he finally earned the support of the Peruvian government, and had a very primitive raft built of Balsam wood. It wasn't an easy mission, obviously, but Thor's steadfast belief in himself and his goal, earned him a place in history.

Can you see how this applies to the writer's journey? Sure, it may be difficult to earn the support of a major publisher, just as Thor was unable to, but does that mean you give up? Where there's a will, there's a way. We've all heard that plenty of times, but when you really  think about it, it hits you just how much truth is in that statement. Thor Heyerdahl is proof that it's true.

Today, in honor of  Indie Life, I ask you, are you a Kon-Tiki writer? Will you continue to believe in yourself and find a way to see your dream through? Plenty of other writers have become Kon-Tiki writers by going Indie--not necessarily because no one believed in them, but because they believed in themselves most of all. Find lots of them over at The Indelibles blog by clicking the pic below.


All month I'm sharing brief snippets of my life, from childhood to adulthood, as part of the Memoir and Backstory Blog challenge. Since I was twelve, I kept a journal/diary. I still have my very first one. It has a picture of a roller skate with a flower growing out of it on the front. I was adamant about my journal-keeping, and to this day, I've probably got about twenty stored away in my hope chest. Some have fancy covers, others are just plain spiral notebooks, but my life was recorded from age 12-33. And then I stopped. It didn't feel necessary to record my life anymore, but one day, I'll read through those old journals and take a trip down memory lane. I wonder what that will be like. Laughter, tears, cringes ... I can only imagine.

Today's also the Norse Gods Blogfest for Siv Maria's latest release Secrets of the Ash Tree. And it's also her birthday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIV!!!

 

Siv wants to know who our favorite Norse god is, and coincidentally, since I already mentioned Thor Heyerdahl, I'll continue with the same theme and say Thor, god of thunder. And not just cuz Chris Hemsworth played a mighty fine Thor, lol. 

(photo credit fanpop.com)

Point Break, anyone? Thor keeps those forces of darkness at bay, and I really like the way he slings his hammer. lol

M. Pax has a new book coming out and have you seen the awesome cover?


Some truths are better left unfound.

For two years Craze’s dear friend, Lepsi, has been missing. The murmurings of a haunted spaceship might be a message and may mean his old pal isn’t dead. The possibility spurs Craze and Captain Talos to travel to uncharted worlds, searching. Out there, in an unfamiliar region of the galaxy beyond the Backworlds, they stumble upon a terrible truth.

Meanwhile, Rainly remains on Pardeep Station as acting planetlord, dealing with the discovery of her lover’s dark and brutal past. Alone and questioning her judgment, her introspection unlocks more than heartache. Latent protocols in her cybernetics activate, forcing her to face a sinister secret of her own.

In the far future, humanity settles the stars, bioengineering its descendents to survive in a harsh universe. This is the fourth book in the science fiction series, The Backworlds. A space opera adventure.


M. Pax-- Inspiring the words she writes, she spends her summers as a star guide at Pine Mountain Observatory in stunning Central Oregon where she lives with the Husband Unit and two demanding cats. She writes science fiction and fantasy mostly. You can find out more by visiting her at:



And Amy Evans is revealing her cover for Jellybean Kisses. Click on the cover to learn more!
  
Thanks so much for stopping by! Come back tomorrow for NA Thursday! So tell me, are you a Kon-Tiki writer? Who's your fave Norse god? Been over to wish Siv happy birthday? And congratulate M.Pax on her new book? Still time to sign up for my cover reveal for next Wednesday! Be the first to see my cover and share it with the world! (Link on my sidebar)

28 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Wonderful to watch, loved the picture.
Happy Birthday to Siv and good wishes for her book.

Yvonne.

S. L. Hennessy said...

I'd have picked Thor for Hemsworth alone, but he was an awesome god too. Great pick. Happy Norse God blogging!

Norma Beishir said...

I like the way (movie) Thor does everything.

As for Kon-tiki writing, I like it, too!

Catherine Stine said...

Heck, yah, I'm a Kon-Tiki writer, though I like that actor who plays Jax in Sons of Anarchy more than Helmsworth (hahaha).
And yes, M Pax's cover is gorgeous.

Crystal Collier said...

With a name like Thor, how could he not succeed? ;)

Happy Birthday, Siv! Yay!

And yay for M. Pax's new book! Woot, woot!

I hadn't seen anything about Jellybean Kisses before. Hm. Time to remedy that.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thor is very popular today!
I'm grateful I have some backing with my publisher, but I still have to fight for myself online.
And Mary's cover is so awesome...

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Happy Birthday Siv!

What a busy day for new releases! I just have to start reading faster.

Love the story of Thor. I sometimes get bogged down and then I think of all the people who succeed and how their stories are rarely perfect walks in the park. But once they make it, we only see the glory. Excellent idea Pk!

Amalia T. Dillin said...

Thor (Odinson) is one of my favorites too!

That story of the other Thor is fascinating! I'll have to look more into it!

Andrew Leon said...

I have, at various times, kept a journal but only for brief periods. I have them... somewhere.

I'm a pretty go my own way kind of writer.

msmariah said...

You can never go wrong with Thor!

Siv Ottem said...

Great movie! I live in Thor Heyerdahls home town and went onboard the replica of this boat as well as seen the original at the museum. He was an incredible man and Thor is an incredible god, (even though the comics are not quite on track with the Norse mythology)he is a popular choice today!

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi, PK,
Congrats to Siv and Mary on their books.

Moving forward is the only way to go as it pertains to writing, so yeah I'm a Kon-Tiki writer.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Siv is the woman! She lives in Thor Heyerdahl's home town and has seen the original Kon Tiki!

Thanks for the birthday greetings, too.

I am a Kon Tiki writer. My book sales are anemic. But I make each one with a great cover and the hope of reaching the far distant shore.

If it is not too much trouble would you drop in to check out my Birthday book, HER BONES ARE IN THE BADLANDS -- it is in the spirit of personal revelations as the hero expresses many of my personal beliefs in a very dark time. Thanks for the FB greeting, too. :-)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for sharing so much news today. Yes, I keep believing in myself though it's easier some days than others. And yes, I vote for Thor too.

William Kendall said...

I'd say I'm a Kon-Tiki writer. And as much as I'd say Thor would be the favourite Norse God, I'd go with Loki. We're both tricksters.

Happy Birthday to Siv! And congratulations to M, and to Amy!

mshatch said...

Congrats to Mpax :) and Chris H. does make a pretty nice Thor ;)

Donna Hole said...

A fully loaded post :) Kon-Tiki sounds intriguing.

......dhole

Meradeth Houston said...

I've actually mentioned Kon-Tiki in a lecture before, but I haven't seen the film--I'll definitely have to check that out. Also, totally love that you kept a journal. It's one of my favorite things to do.

ilima said...

I picked Loki...but Thor rocks too. ;)

Angie said...

I still have my old journals as well.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Not seen this. I'll have to check it out. And so true how it applies to writers.

Congrats to Siv!

Isis Rushdan said...

Can't go wrong picking Thor.

Sorry I'm late making rounds on the hop.

E.J. Wesley said...

I think I've always believed in myself, just not my writing--if that makes sense. :) I decided to go indie when I finally felt my writing was worth sharing. I'm just grateful I live in an age when I get to make that decision. And I'm a big boy now, so it seems like a decision I should be able to make. :D

I'm going to have to check that movie now...

Love Mary's new cover!

redcatdance said...

I have started countless journals and always abandoned them for some other way to express myself. I still have them all.

Deb Stone said...

How cool to have such an extensive accounting of things you felt and did. I have one from when I was in 8th grade. I have snippets and pages until a couple years ago when I began jotting journals in earnest. I keep nine or ten going at a time, write in whichever pleases me, and don't date them. Yet I can read a page and remember the time and place.

jamieayres.com said...

What a great message! Thor is my fav too . . . hubs dressed up as Thor on Halloween two year ago and I was his queen and our daughters were the princesses :-)

lesliehauser.com said...

Sometimes I cringe when I read old things that I write. And sometimes I'm sad about all the old things that I threw away. I wish I would've known then how valuable they'd be to me when I'd be older.

Amanda M. Darling said...

I also kept a journal pretty relentlessly for years. I stopped keeping it at some point during my marriage and started up again during my separation. I always intend to review my journals, but I almost never do. The act of writing something down is often enough for me.