Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Memories, IWSG, and More ...

Happy October, my friends! My favorite month out of the entire year! Why? Autumn has arrived, and that means copious amounts of pumpkin everything!! School is in, and the madness of the holiday season hasn't quite begun yet.

Plus, it's camping weather! Which is exactly where I'll be this weekend. Believe me, it's very much needed. I'm a bit overwhelmed with my to-do list at the present.

But on to the good stuff ...

This month I'm participating in a Memoir theme and Backstory Blog Challenge (among a number of other things.) I'll admit it seemed a bit presumptuous on my part to assume I could handle something else on my to-do list, but I really wanted to try this because I have a memoir project I've been asked to write, and it's one that's very special.

Each week I'll be posting memories from my own life on odd numbered days. Nothing long, I promise you! Just quick snippets into the life of PK, from childhood to adulthood. And since I turn 40 next month, this will be even more fun for me.

One memory that sticks out from childhood is Saturday mornings. I'd come downstairs in my PJs, turn on the TV and my brothers and I would watch cartoons til noon. Meanwhile, my dad would make pancakes in the kitchen and the smell would waft into the living room til we couldn't stand it anymore. We'd pile our plates with pancakes and maple syrup, then resume our positions for proper cartoon viewing. It was the one time of week we were allowed to eat in front of the TV. I'm sure it was a welcomed break for Mom and Dad, but for me, it remains a happy childhood memory of all being right with the world.

For more entries, and/or to join in the memoir theme for the month, head over to Jane Ann McLachlan's blog!

As you know, tomorrow is the first Wednesday of the month and that means time for :


A chance for writers to share their hopes and fears of the writing and publishing process. All are welcome! Click on the picture above to get to Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog and sign up and/or read all the entries that will be out on Wednesday, Oct. 2.

This week I'm feeling a tad insecure about my book launch for November. Mainly, because I keep wondering if there's something else I should be doing. But we can't kill ourselves, right? We can only do so much. I've got a regular job, plus I'm a mom and wife. There are other priorities. But I keep reminding myself to only do what I can, and not worry about what I can't.

Today I'm excited to help reveal the cover for Julie Flanders' new release:


A brilliant flash of light transcends through time.

Another freezes a cloaked figure within a frame of salty mist as waves crash against a rocky shore. Her harrowing expression shadows the beacon to a pinprick.

By the next blaze, she is gone. Only the lighthouse remains.

Hannah’s eyes blink in step with each heartbeat. Images of her deceased parents and Martha’s Vineyard explode like firecrackers inside her mind.

She shakes her head.

For weeks this eerie woman dressed in nineteenth century garb has been haunting my webcam, but tonight she stared into my soul.

Why? ...

Who is she? ...

Casting aside months of research on historic lighthouses, Hannah drives to the coast and boards a ferry.

What is the strange connection she has to this mysterious woman suspended in time?

Hannah finds out.

But, it’s not at all what she expects ...

Hannah unravels a century old murder.

 


Julie Flanders is a novelist and freelance writer in Cincinnati, Ohio. She has a life-long love affair with the ocean and has spent more summer vacations than she can count on the island of Martha’s Vineyard. When not writing, Julie can be found reading, cheering on her favorite sports teams, and watching too much television. She is an animal lover and shares her home with her dog and cat.

You can find Julie on her web haunts here: WEBSITE

And in case you were wondering, Julie Flanders is in no relation to this Flanders:

Just wanted to clear that up. ;) 

Thanks so much for stopping by! Is there a memory from your childhood that's extra special? Do you have a writerly insecurity to share? Have you signed up for my cover reveal blogfest? Book your time trip today by clicking the picture at the top of my sidebar. And what do you think of Julie Flanders' new cover? Be sure to head over and say hello to her! She's fantastic!

42 comments:

DAVID WALSTON said...

I think you must have been in my house as a kid. Only I would pour myself a big heaping bowl of Rice Krispies load it down with sugar, and plop in front of the telly till the noon news came on.
Julie's book sounds fantastic, and I'm glad she isn't related to Ned.

Robin said...

We were allowed to watch Saturday morning cartoons as long as we let our parents sleep-we were the quietest, more content kids in the world. That and the Sunday night family movie are my tv memories growing up-well that and seeing Dirty Dancing at way too young of an age-LOL!

On your book launch, know you can only do so much, and doing what you can is enough. Excited for you!!!!

Yolanda Renee said...

Mighty Mouse was my hero! Great blog hop!

Congrats Julie!

IWSG again! LOL

Barbara Watson said...

I can't imagine being secure as a book is launching into the world...it's such an intimidating thing. But do enjoy the launch in spite of insecurity.

Julie's book sounds GREAT!

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Happy October to you also. Enjoyed the read very much and look forward to your October post.

Yvonne,.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

PK, don't stress. You're right, there is only so much you can do. What doesn't get done is no big deal.
And congratulations to Julie!

T. Drecker said...

I'm sure your book release will go great. Nope, we can't do everything, but usually no one expects us to but ourselves. :)

Andrew Leon said...

No one ever made me breakfast to go with my cartoons...:(
Now, I'm sad.
Of course, I was the only one up until sometime after 10am, and, by then, I'd already fed myself.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Yes, don't stress. I work full-time and am a wife and mother too. So I totally know what you mean. You can only do so much and it sounds like you're really organized.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I am so glad you cleared that up! I was wondering...lol!

I have the same Saturday morning memories, only I was such a sleep hog, my big brother would have to roust me or I'd have missed them every week!

That juggle between life and books is one that is currently kicking my butt. If you find a solution...share please!!

Julie Flanders said...

Thanks for sharing this, Pk! And I'm glad you cleared up the Flanders confusion LOL.

I can understand why you're feeling stressed about your launch but you shouldn't, I know it will be a huge success.

October is my favorite month too, love it! :)

Emma Adams said...

I know exactly how you feel - my book comes out in 9 days and I'm nowhere near ready! I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

Nick Wilford said...

What happened to great Saturday morning kids' TV? A thing of the past it seems... Good luck with your memoirs project, and with your launch! If the book's a winner, then the battle's already half won, and I'm sure it is. :)

Deb Stone said...

Saturday mornings equaled HR Puffinstuff, Mighty Mouse, Rocky and Bullwinkle and Penelope Pitstop. Today's cartoons don't hold the same allure--maybe you have to be that magical age of feeling like you're getting away with something by lying in front of the TV in your pjs with nothing else to do.

I'm looking forward to sharing your October memories!

William Kendall said...

Congratulations, Julie, and it's a relief to know you're not related to Neddidly Flanders...

Enjoy the campout, PK!

Nicole Zoltack said...

I quit taking ballet lessons to watch Saturday morning cartoons. Still can't believe Mom let me get away with that.

Nice cover!

Norma Beishir said...

So, PK...can we expect any confessions in these memories?

This is why I've never written a memoir....

Cally Jackson said...

PK in PJs - cute!! Playing in the mud with friends is one of my favourite childhood memories. I did that on numerous occasions. :-)

Susanne Drazic said...

Have fun camping!

Carrie-Anne said...

I did the October Backstory challenge last year, though I'm not sure if I'll be doing it this year. If I start, it'll be after the first week.

Enjoy your camping trip! It's been too long since I've gone camping.

Maurice Mitchell said...

Man those are some happy memories. Thanks for the flashback PK!

Chrys Fey said...

October is also my favorite month out of the whole year. :D

I personally can't wait for the release of Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc. And I am so excited to do your blogfest later this month. I think what you're doing is excellent and will be a success. Try not to stress. You're doing great!

Wow! Julie Flanders' cover is gorgeous and eerie. A perfect combination! :)

cleemckenziebooks said...

I'm back, Pk! Great to be here again after a month away. We share the same love for October. It's so special for me with the fall colors and Halloween, which I think is the best ever holiday. Congrats to Julie! Enjoy your trip.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm sharing your insecurity this month. I too have a book coming out in November from a publisher I haven't worked with before. I feel like I need to be doing more in preparation.

redcatdance said...

I watched cartoons too on Saturdays and at noon when I walked home from school for lunch. They showed The Flintstones for that half hour and then I walked back to school, refreshed!

Congratulations on your book. I would be surprised if you weren't a little tense! I'm sure all will be well... it's a great accomplishment. Enjoy it.

J.L. Campbell said...

Hi,PK
Hope everything will fall into place on the memoir writing front. I'm sure your launch will go swimmingly.

Lexa Cain said...

Like you, my happiest childhood memory revolves around TV (mid 70s Bob Newhart, Mary Tyler Moore, and Carol Burnett) and the fudge brownies my family always used to eat when we watched that line up. Good old days...
Congrats to Julie! Good luck to you on your upcoming release, PK! :-)

S.K. Anthony said...

Yes, very true. You can only do so much. It will all work out the way its supposed to, it's not like we'll know otherwise o_0

Have fun camping :D

Crystal Collier said...

Wahoo! I'm looking forward to your memories Pk, and honestly, I'm in awe that you are taking on more. You are one brave woman!

Lynda R Young said...

Love your description of your Saturdays. Gotta love pancake memories.

jamieayres.com said...

Great post all around! I was just telling hubs I wanted to go camping soon . . .maybe Veteran's Day weekend to give the girls a taste of what the troops go through, although I'm sure our 'roughin' it' isn't the same thing! Did I sign up for your cover reveal? My head is spinning and I can't remember. You can send it to me at info(at)jamieayres(dot)com and I'll be happy to post!

Mark Murata said...

I was going to say you're too young to write your memoirs, but a snippet each week makes sense.

Jane Ann McLachlan said...

Great memories of Saturday mornings - reminded me of Saturday morning cartoons when I was a kid!

Donna Hole said...

Hi PK :) That was a cool memory. I remember Saturday morning cartoons. So long ago.

Julie is getting around the blogs, lol.

Have a good trip.

.......dhole

Michelle Wallace said...

Well sistah, thanks for clearing up the Flanders confusion... LOL
The snippet memoir challenge sounds interesting... a great way in which to "bring back the past"...

Siv Ottem said...

Your saturday mornings as a child sound just like mine, only it was my mom making the pancakes :) October is my favorite time of the year as well.I know how you feel about your book release, mine is just around the corner and I go with constant dread that I have forgotten something!

Morgan said...

Ohhhhh... I love those memories... magic!

It's the best time of year. Fall makes everything inspiring. <3

E.J. Wesley said...

Hooray for Fall! And hooray for Julie, too! :D

Tonja said...

I love it that you have a tag for Ned Flanders. :) Julie is everywhere this week. If I were having a book launch, insecurity would be an understatement. It's great that you don't seem overwhelmed by it.

New follower. http://tonjamatney.blogspot.com

Michael Di Gesu said...

HI, PK,

Such a great childhood memory. I was always the first one up on Saturday mornings and headed right for the TV in the den.

Wonderful memories.... Such a simpler life.

Enjoy your weekend camping and RELAX!!!! Take time to breath and your reveal and novel launch will be ASTOUNDING!!!!

I can't wait to see you!

Hugs,

Michael

Joy said...

I loved Saturday morning cartoons! I remember that September was always so exciting to find out what the new season's slate of cartoons was going to be.

Joy's Book Blog

Amanda M. Darling said...

Eating in front of the TV was a special treat in my family as well -- reserved for holidays where there was a movie on at dinner time. Thanks for writing about those special times -- it's funny how our best memories of childhood aren't necessarily big, exciting times.