Monday, October 14, 2013

Motivation and Courage!


Happy Monday! It's gonna be a great week, right? I sure think so. And I'm super excited for Wednesday and seeing where all those time trips will be booked to!

There's been lots of talk on book promo around the blogosphere. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, as well as blog tours. Check out my previous post below and weigh in.

Today, I'm featuring Carrie Butler's new release, because she's a fellow NA writer and blogger/Twitter friend. Read on for an excerpt of Courage, then afterwards, I'm talking briefly on character motivation.




Wallace shot me a look. “We’re not barging in; we’re visiting. I wanted to introduce you, anyway.”
“S’bout time,” Cole added out of nowhere, the weight of his arm sinking onto my head as he leaned on me. “You’ve been dating for—”
“You have exactly three seconds to get your arm off of me.”
Cole snickered and mussed my hair. “Easy, killer.”
“One.”
“Cole,” Wallace groaned, rubbing his temples. “Don’t start with her now.”
“Start what?” Cole used that grating, innocent voice he always did when he wanted to wind his brother up. “I’m not starting anything.”
“Two.” 
He clicked his tongue in disapproval, and my eye twitched. One look at his stance told me he'd braced himself for one of my usual attacks. An elbow, a knee, something he could evade without trying. I had to catch him off guard.
“Three.”
And I knew just how to do it.
When Wallace stepped forward, I smoothed a quick hand up Cole’s chest—like I wanted to stop them from fighting. He dismissed the gesture as usual, and I used the distraction to lock on target. Gotcha. A pinch and a twist sent the world’s fastest man crashing to his knees.
“Fu—ow!” he howled, swatting at my hand. “Damn it, Rena! A titty twister?”
A smirk curled my lips as I wrenched my wrist to the side, relishing his torment. “How’s that feel, AssCole?”
“Burns like a son of a—”
Someone cleared their throat behind us, and I froze.
“Am I interrupting something?”
Mechanically, I turned to look over my shoulder. Please don’t let that be who I think it is.
No such luck. A puzzled older gentleman stood on the path leading to the house, his weight resting on a gnarled, wooden cane. "Spirited little thing, aren't you?"
I jerked my hand away from Cole and spun around. “I, uh…”
“Henry, this is my girlfriend Rena.” Wallace edged the words out, caught between laughter and embarrassment. “Rena, this is my great-uncle Henry.”
There wasn’t a shade of red to describe how hot my face felt. I forced a smile and thrust my hand out. “N-Nice to meet you.”
Henry cracked a grin and hobbled forward to accept my handshake. “Same here, my dear. Same here.” He glanced down at Cole. “You all right over there, Nicholas?”
“Peachy.” Cole stood up and rubbed his chest with a sour expression. “Just taking a rest.”

Good stuff, right?? And the first book in the Nexus series, Strength, is now FREE!

Add Courage to your GoodReads shelf, right HERE
And find Carrie Butler at the links below ...
                                 WEBSITE,  FACEBOOK, TWITTER, BLOG 

BIG CONGRATS, CARRIE!

Well, we've talked about Courage and Strength now ... so how about some Motivation?? But I'm talking about Character Motivation. As I've grown as a writer over these past few years, I've come to know just how important it is to make sure every character has a motivation for their actions--even the bad guys and sidekicks. ESPECIALLY the bad guys and sidekicks. Otherwise, they're merely puppets the author performs with. 
In every scene, EVERY character must have a motivation for their actions, and the reader must be able to identify what that motivation is, or the story will fail.

So are your characters' motivations clear in your story? Are you excited to read Courage? Don't forget to get your free copy of Strength right now! Click on the picture of the cover above. And I'll be looking forward to seeing you on Wednesday and showing you my brand new cover!  


28 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Congrats to Carrie! I so agree with you that all our characters need motivation, especially our bad guys. They can't just be evil or bad. Like everyone, they have their reasons for what they do.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I also send my congrats to Carrie,
A great happy Monday post.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Carrie!!

shelly said...

Congrats to Carrie! Will tweet and share.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

DAVID WALSTON said...

CONGRATS, CARRIE!
Can't wait till Wed for the time trips!

Julie Flanders said...

Congratulations to Carrie!

And this is a timely post for me as I'm struggling with motivation for one of the characters in my WIP. I really need to figure out why he's doing what he's doing. Damn him for not making it clear to me. ;) :D

Looking forward to your big reveal on Wednesday!

Old Kitty said...

All the best to Carrie! And thanks for this fun snippet! Titty twister?Ow!! LOL! Take care
x

Barbara Watson said...

Love the 'peachy' response. Nice job, Carrie.

Motivation -- it's hard to keep focused on it because sometimes there are certain things we want the characters to do so the story all fits, but when we bring in their motivation, what we have planned suddenly doesn't fit. :-)

cleemckenziebooks said...

Congrats to Carrie. She's done a great job. I'm definitely taking advantage of her generous offer.

Carrie Butler said...

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

And thank you, PK, for having me over. I really appreciate it! :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I really enjoy a book where a character's motivations are clearer to the reader than they are to the character.

Crystal Collier said...

Woot, woot! I LOVE that excerpt, and I seriously can't wait to read the book. But I have to. Grr. This does not make Crystal a happy girl. =(

Melissa said...

LOL
That's one of my favorite scenes. Cracks me up every time. ;)

William Kendall said...

I like the excerpt, Carrie!


PK, character motivation to me always has to make sense... even if it's reprehensible.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I agree on motivations being clear to the reader and that it comes with practice. If the author can't see the motivations clear enough to clearly show them in a story then the reader won't see them.

As a reader, I especially want to know why the bad guys are bad and even bad guys have to have some good or they are just a paper doll without any real substance. I just finished a couple of books by an excellent author and the bad guy is truly evil but his motivation is clear and his vision for the future has merit. His means, however, isn't good and as a reader and an observer of people and history, I know he can't achieve the end result by such methods. Yet, he truly believes he can and THAT is what makes it interesting.

Congratulations Carrie!

Sia McKye Over Coffee

Siv Ottem said...

Congrats to Carrie! I hope my characters show motivation :)

Susan Kane said...

A knee into the groin---I have never done that, hope I never have to do so. But it was definitely needed here.

E.J. Wesley said...

Woohoo! Congrats to Carrie on another epic release!

As for motivation, I've found that sometimes the simple things work best, like, not getting eaten by a monster, or not letting your family starve to death. :)

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Pretty cool excerpt!



PK, are you doing the NaNo this year? I'm not sure if you've said or not.

Arlee Bird said...

Best wishes to Carrie!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Heather M. Gardner said...

Great book! Can't wait to get the next one and read all about Wallace.

Congrats!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Congratulations, Carrie. Just finishing up Strength!

Trisha F said...

Haha, love this excerpt! Definitely want to read this one :)

Donna Hole said...

That was a fun teaser :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Carrie is such a pro!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Carrie is such a pro!

LD Masterson said...

Congratulations, Carrie. Loved the excerpt.

Krisztina Williams said...

PK, I just had to stop by because I keep seeing your new book cover, and I think it's AMAZING!!!