Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Surviving in the Indie World


**UPDATE**  NA Thursday Post is at the bottom! Checkout the featured author and Rafflecopter!

So today (second Wednesday of the month) is when Indies around the blogosphere share tidbits about the experience, brought to you by The Indelibles. And coincidentally ( I swear I didn't plan it this way) I JUST became an official Indie. So, yay! But I'm eager to share some of the process with you, because it's a totally different animal being a self-published author than it is being simply a writer. I've learned so much.



                                                Click the pic to get to Indelibles HQ


In the coming weeks, I plan to share my choices and path with you. But today, I want to promote a book by a fellow indie author that has become my Indie Bible:


Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously? Stop what you're doing and buy this book. Now. If you're a writer--whether trad or indie- you should read this book. If you're an indie, you NEED to read this book. I felt like Susan was holding my hand through the process, telling me it was going to be okay, calming my fears, showing me how to do things right.

I didn't start reading it til I'd already soft launched on Amazon as an eBook, and I admit, I was feeling like a doofus. I was convinced I'd gone about it all wrong because I didn't wait for the Big Launch Day. I wasn't even %100 sure I was going to do a big launch day, but reading this guide set me straight and reminded me what was important.

This isn't just a how-to book, this is a writer's warm hug. Something we all need every once in awhile. And again, I can't recommend it highly enough--even if you're going the traditional route, you should read this.

Okay, my endorsement is over. Big thanks to all who supported, posted, shared my launch yesterday. I appreciate all of it, and all of you so very much.

The GIVEAWAY is still going on, so get thee to the Rafflecopter and enter to win!! Keep sharing! I can't wait to see who walks away with the prizes!!




a Rafflecopter giveaway


Today I'm also featuring this week's NA author, so keep reading!




Gabe Thompson enlisted to help out his buddy, but three years later he's 100% US military bad boy, serving in the desert of Afghanistan where the days are hot, but the nights are hotter.
Alexis Garcia is out to save the world. The University of Texas freshman has come to Afghanistan to do aid work with the United Nations. She's all about the peace, and she has no use for the camp's biggest, baddest, gun toting player.
But, sometimes camouflage is more than a color, and people aren't what they seem. When conflict develops not only between Gabe and Alexis, but also all around them, they're forced to look deeper, and what they find will rock their worlds and change their hearts forever.
Selena Laurence Bio:
I love to write romantic stuff that helps you get away. Life can be a grind, and things like jobs and school and dirty dishes make Jill a dull girl – and me too! So, I write Contemporary and New Adult romances about hot guys and smart girls and cool places. It's an Escape from the Everyday.
To enter the giveaway, go to each of the listed blogs and enter the corresponding code into the RAFFLECOPTER.
So tell me, what are your fears in the indie world, or are you ready to face the brave new publishing world? Interesting fact, I read super agent, Chip MacGregor, say every writer needs to be self-publishing something. What are your thoughts on that?

18 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Susan's book sounds like an awesome resource for Indie authors. And I think you did a great job with your book release.

Norma Beishir said...

I LOVE that cover! Perfect for a survival guide!

I got another one, back when I first made the leap from traditional to indie--the cover was a typewriter drifting toward an iceberg....

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

The promotion is the biggest challenge to me. It's so overwhelming and so difficult to know if what you're doing is really working.

The Desert Rocks said...

I'm not sure what my fears are regarding Indie publishing but they have less to do with marketing,promotions, launch, distribution and advertising then actual plotting and writing. I'm terrified of writing something boring. Congrats on winning over at Jay's blog!!

Robin said...

Not just a book, but a big, warm hug. Sign me up!!!

Johanna Garth said...

Thanks for the good recommendation PK. With all the changes in traditional publishing it sounds like it would be equally valuable to all writers regardless of their publication path.

Karen Walker said...

Pk, didn't you have an agent?

Lexa Cain said...

It's wonderful that you found exactly what you needed in Susan's book. She rocks! And congrats on your release. Yay Butterman's!!! :-)

Andrew Leon said...

What I think is that staying with the traditional publishing model is bad for everyone and just perpetuates a parasitic cycle that has been going on for far too long.

Laura Pauling said...

Congrats on your release!! I love Sue's guide too!

Kittie Howard said...

Sue's guide looks really interesting. I know your book is, PK, as I began reading it last night. Loooove your opening character descriptions. Great job!

And I was supposed to post about Indie writing today, but forgot. *hangs head*

shelly said...

Hmmm... I need a warm hug.

Hugs and chocolate!

SA Larsenッ said...

YAY! for becoming officially Indie, PK! Although I'm not, I do agree with you that Susan's book is fabulous. I think all writers would gain from it by reading her wisdom. <3

Tyrean Martinson said...

Susan's book is a lifesaver! Her section on writing back of the book blurbs is awesome and practical! Thanks for the review . . .I should go and write one of my own now. :)

LD Masterson said...

I'm still trying to go traditional. Indy is too scary. But maybe with a survival guide...

William Kendall said...

Susan's book can come in handy!

E.J. Wesley said...

Susan is a great resource for indies, and I'm glad she put so much of her knowledge in one place. :)

Congrats to Selena! :D

Sandra Almazan said...

Susan's book was great. Congrats on coming over to the Indie side--we have cookies! ;)