Take it away, Jamie!
Thanks PK! On Saturday, I attended the 2014 Hearts in the Sand Writers’ Conference and listened to Jennifer Fusco, Rae Monet, Barbara Vey, and Sheila Clover English—top marketing experts in the book industry. To end my 18 Truths blog tour, I thought I’d share 18 Things I learned about marketing from the Super Saturday event! And how perfect is it that this is my eighteenth stop?!
1) Have a newsletter! I admit I haven’t done this one yet, but I need to! I’ve been told it’s the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow J Three sites you can use are Mail Chimp, Vertical Response, and Constant Contact. Most experts didn’t even recommend once a month (like I thought would be the case). They suggested sending it out only when you have a release, or some big news to share. When you host a giveaway, make signing up for your newsletter a must!
2) Before your next book comes out, list your previous book for free on Free Books Friday or Book Bub.
3) Aim to have 30 Amazon reviews before or on release day . . . you could utilize a street team for this. (*wish I would’ve known this—I’m in desperate need for some reviews of 18 Truths if you’ve read it J)
4) Have a street team! The aims of these teams vary, but the main things to remember are make it fun and share the book love!
5) Don’t be afraid to ask friends to tweet for you, but have prewritten tweets for them to make it easy.
6) When online, write with five times more enthusiasm!!!!!
7) Keep in mind the most successful tweeters post 30-40 tweets a day! What should you tweet? If you run out of ideas, try quotes, movie (or book) trailers, links to interesting articles, a thought of the day, question of the day, and tweet during sporting events, TV shows, award shows, or join the chat about whatever is trending on Twitter!
8) Don’t dilute your brand! Use the same header for your website, Twitter, Facebook, etc . . . Think: What do I want my social media sites to do? Answer: Hopefully, help me sell my book. So build your branding around that.
9) Have a set schedule for your blog and when you write, be yourself! Pretend you’re sitting down with your BFF for a cup of coffee.
10) Remember you are your product. You are a business. Act like it. Don’t get into political and religious debates online or start swearing like a sailor.
11) Be prepared every time you go out in public. Carry copies of business cards, bookmarks, and copies of your book.
12) Talk to people everywhere . . . bookstores, restaurants, supermarkets, planes, Starbucks . . . you never know where you’ll meet your next fan!
13) When you’re at a book signing, the person in front of you should be the only one you focus on. People remember a rude author forever.
14) DO NOT ENGAGE with people who post bad reviews (repeat this until it sinks in).
15) Use Tweet Reach to see how many times someone retweeted for you for events. Offer a prize for the one who retweets the most within a specific time period, like a $50 Barnes and Noble or Amazon gift card.
16) Connect Facebook and Twitter if you’re on both. It’ll save time, energy, and having to come up with new things to say. *Note, I don’t agree with this one IF you’re tweeting 30-40x a day. Facebook is a different venue, and I think posting that much to FB is obnoxious.
17) Make a book trailer or get one made for you. Then do a contest of sorts to help it go viral. For instance, the first 100 people to share gets a sneak preview at the first 3 chapters or 50 pages of my book. Here’s mine for 18 Truths and 18 Things.
18) Pay it forward and promote others too! Comment, Like, Share, Repeat.
Thanks for having me here, PK!
wow that's some excellent advice, Jamie! Thank you so much for sharing! Be sure to check out Jamie's new release, 18 Truths!
With the lessons the 18 Things life list taught her engraved on her heart, Olga embarks on a new adventure as a spirit guide, but nothing prepares her for the chilling truths she’s learning along the way.
*Book Cover Blurb:
Lying is unbearable, betrayal is inevitable, and choosing which path to take is impossible.
Olga Gay Worontzoff ended her senior year as an eighteen-year-old girl totally in love with Nate, enjoying their new romance and about to attend the university of her dreams. Now she’s spending her summer in the weird subculture of the Underworld, with charmingly witty and powerful angels, and problematic demons, trying to rescue Connor, the best friend and secret crush she was unable to save during a freak accident.
But Nate has other things on his mind, mainly Grace. She’s their first assignment as joint spirit guides, and Olga’s feeling hurt and jealous. His mysterious behavior has Olga questioning everything she believed about him and now she must decide whether to stick to their plan, or follow her heart.
Unfortunately, a series of mistakes threatens everyone around her and plants Olga in the center of cosmic events much larger than she ever imagined.
Only one thing is certain: the chilling truths uncovered during her journey will leave no one untouched.
Add 18 Truths to your Goodreads
Jamie Ayres writes young adult love stories by night and teaches young adults as a middle school teacher by day. She lives in southwest Florida with her husband and two daughters. Her books include 18 Things and 18 Truths. Visit her website at www.jamieayres.com.
(Doesn't she look like so much fun? Love that pic!)
So glad Jamie ended her fabulous blog tour here. Be sure to check out her links and add 18 Truths to your GoodReads and/or download a copy today!
a Rafflecopter giveaway My own blog tour is going on right now too, so check it out by clicking the picture on my sidebar. There's a giveaway too! Check it out! I've got some other good news I'll share with you on Wednseday when Charlie's Scribes will be taking over my blog! Can't wait!
So tell me, did you learn anything useful from Jamie's marketing tips? Do you have any tips to share? If you don't mind, could you tweet this post or share it on Facebook so others can learn from it too? Let's show Jamie how we roll and give her the awesomesauce support this writerly blogosphere is known for!