Wednesday, February 5, 2014

IWSG - Writing Tips


Happy Wednesday, all! Every first Wednesday of the month writers around the blogosphere share insecurities and comfort. All are welcome, so feel free to sign up and join in if you haven't already!

This month I'm taking an online Deep Editing course with Margie Lawson. So far, it's fantastic. Really driving home some great techniques. One of my commitments in my Five Year Plan was to attend at least one writer's workshop a year to improve my craft, which helps quell insecurities and breed confidence and authority in writing.

Here's the link to Margie's Writer's Academy. Highly recommended! And you take the course on your own time, whenever it's convenient. Margie is very interactive.

It's a super busy month for me. I'm finishing up my prequel novella for Wattpad (updated today--link on sidebar under Diary of a Teenage Time Traveler,) and starting a special non-fiction project I'll be sharing with you soon. Also, my Butterman Blog Tour starts next week! There's a link on my sidebar with all the dates. I'd love for you to stop by and say hello. I'm doing interviews, Top Tens, Playlists, and More! Plus, there'll be a giveaway! So check back for that.

Also, I wanted to share with you a very helpful link I think you'll like if you're not already familiar with it. SC Author hosts the blog, Writing, Publishing, & Harry Potter, and I just wanted to give him a shout out because he's doing an awesome service for writers. He's hosting his own query and first pages critique--much like the contest blogs do--so other writers can critique as if they were an agent.

This is so helpful in so many ways, not only for the writer posting work, but for the writers giving critiques. It helps build our skills in such a huge way--seeing what works and what doesn't. And besides that, you should really check out SC's sidebar of "SECRETS." There is a ton of excellent writer tips there, and I recommend reading them even if you're a seasoned writer.

Before I go, I wanted to mention a couple of other bloggers celebrating news:


Cathrina Constantine's new book is out! Isn't it a gorgeous cover?! Click it to get to Amazon.

In a decimated world, setting foot outside the protected village of Tallas is certain death—or so they say. Mutations caused by those in the wilderness have plagued Tallas’s citizens—or so they say…

For Doogan and Keeyla their belief in a Free Tallas has lost its glimmer. And when their young son, Fabal, is given a very dangerous assignment, they risk everything to protect him. Fleeing Tallas, they head for the wilderness. But when they are ambushed by cruel Mediators, Doogan is recaptured, and while Keeyla and Fabal escape, she is severely injured.


Can the two of them survive in the wilderness? Will Doogan get away from the clutches of the Mediators? And are the terrible legends about the monsters beyond the walls of Tallas true?

Find Cathrina here:

http://www.cathrinaconstantine.blogspot.com   (She has a Rafflecopter giveaway on her blog)




And our very own Alex J. Cavanaugh's sequel, CassaFire, is on sale for 99 cents!! And it won a Pinnacle Achievement Award! Wow, how awesome! Get your copy now! Click on the cover to get to Amazon. 


What say you, writers? Any insecurities or writing tips to share? Don't be shy ...

35 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to look into that workshop.
Knew SC was doing the query critique. He does those often, which is awesome.
Your tour is going to rock.
And thanks for mentioning CassaFire today!

Chrys Fey said...

Thank you for sharing all this wonderful information! And good luck with everything you have to do this month!! :)

Brandon Ax said...

Can't wait to check out your tour. Good luck on pulling in those readers.

Robin said...

Your tour sounds exciting!!! Playlists even?!?!? Good for you on getting creative with your promotion.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

I'll definitely be clicking on stuff today. Good luck on the tour.

Johanna Garth said...

Beautiful cover, good luck on tour and the editing course sounds interesting. Need to check out that link!!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Longing for our lives to return to normal so that I can write again.

SC Author said...

Holy crap holy crap holy crap. This caught me completely off guard and I am so, SO THANKFUL! THANK YOU!!! Thanks for your amazing words. I think this just made my day!!! I love your blog as well. Thanks for all the helpful links!

(My mind is still buzzing. Thank you!! This was the best surprise I've gotten in a while :) )

Misha Gericke said...

I'm about to start critting queries too. Joined Unicorn Bell, and they're awesome. :-D

Writing tip for today... Just start.

Elsie Amata said...

Thank you so much for mentioning Margie's blog. I'm headed over there now to check it out!

Elsie

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

I am still trying to learn how to tolerate editing. I don't know if I ever will, but have to keep trying. Will Check out SC Write. I am work on a query for another project, to see if I get any bites on it.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

I am still trying to learn how to tolerate editing. I don't know if I ever will, but have to keep trying. Will Check out SC Write. I am work on a query for another project, to see if I get any bites on it.

Andrew Leon said...

Deep editing?
Does that happen underground?

Carol Riggs said...

Wow, a Deep Editing course; that sounds intense and fabulous! I'm sure that would help improve anyone's writing. :) Good for you. Love the cover of TALLAS! Congrats to Cathrina. :)

Carrie-Anne said...

The editing class sounds great. Learning how to be a good editor is just as good as learning how to be a good writer. And when a book needs edited enough, it's like getting to write the book twice or more.

shelly said...

Just downloaded a copy of CasaFire.

Hugs and chocolate!

Cathrina Constantine said...

Great Advice, PK. I plan on looking into some improvement. And I can't thank you enough for plugging my book, TALLAS!!

S.K. Anthony said...

Yay for the tour! Best of luck with it, I have to come back and follow the links ;)

Thanks for the links too, you rock!

E.J. Wesley said...

Love your goal of attending one writing workshop a year! Need to do that myself. (The deeper you get into publishing stuff, the less time you have to spend on craft development I've found. Which gives me the blues something fierce! LOL)

Cynthia said...

Did you say Harry Potter? I'd have to go check out that blog.

It just so happens that my IWSG post today is Harry Potter themed.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I love getting some new blogs and links to check out. I'll be visiting your tour.

William Kendall said...

Andrew's comment got me laughing!

Kim Lajevardi said...

Committing to regular work on craft is so important. I commend you. Good luck with the blog tour!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome you're taking an online class. Once I get through this crazy year and have time, I might do it too.

Norma Beishir said...

I'll be interested in hearing what you think of the deep editing course once you've finished!

Barbara Watson said...

The course sounds fantastic! I like the idea of it being on your own time table.

Stephsco said...

I've taken two workshops by Margie Lawson at RWA events. She helped me change my writing in a drastic way. I bought one of her lecture packets to supplement what she provided us at our workshop--a very well-spent 20 bucks. I do think it's helpful to have taken one of her courses, but the packets are available for anyone on her website. She gives examples from published books which really help. I basically weed out every cliche in my writing because of her.

I like your goal to attend one workshop or conference a year. Last year I went a little nuts with that stuff, but I still want to continue taking classes. I return to Margie's lecture packet with each new manuscript to remind myself how to strive for better writing.

jamieayres.com said...

You've always got so much going on! Did you give any more thought into attending that writing conference on Feb. 15th?

Lexa Cain said...

I'm so glad to hear you have projects in the works and you're making progress. Diary of a Teenage Time Traveler sounds brilliant!

Congrats to Cathrina for her awesome new book, and to Alex for his book-sale.

Have a great weekend, PK! :)

Kittie Howard said...

Thanks for these awesome links . . . I'll be heading over. I'd also like to know more about that deep editing course you're taking. It really intrigues!

Jennifer Joyce said...

The editing course sounds really helpful. Love the idea of a 5 year plan!

Trisha F said...

The editing course sounds great! I should probably take it since this is a year of revision. ;)

Gina Gao said...

Good luck on your tour!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

LD Masterson said...

Congrats to Alex and Cathrina. I'm going over now to check out Sc Author's blog. Thanks for the link.

erica and christy said...

Taking a course a year for professional development is a must! Glad you chose one that was beneficial for you. Best of luck with your blog tour...and HAVE FUN! christy