Friday, February 28, 2014

WIP the Movie



Last day of the month, and what a whirlwind month it's been. I piled on about as many things as possible in the shortest month of the year and at some points felt quite buried, BUT I made it through and excited to participate in today's blogfest hosted by Kyra Lennon and Rachel Schieffenbein .

The idea is to cast the characters of our books and/or Work In Progress with actors, and if we're feeling extra creative, create a playlist.

One of my WIPs right now is the sequel to Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc, called Induction Day, which includes the same two main characters:

Bianca Butterman
and
Tristan Helms

I wish I knew who the girl was on the cover for my prequel, Diary of a Teenage Time Traveler, because she makes a perfect Bianca.


But she's a mystery, so if I had to pick from the Hollywood pool of leading ladies, I'd go with:

                                                         (photo chredit: Starpulse.com)

Abigail Breslin could work. Dye her hair black and with the right makeup and fashion, she could be Bianca. Would be fun to see her in a darker, sassy role too.

And for her time travel companion:


 This is Austin Butler. And honestly I don't know who the guy is, but during my blog tour, blogger Mad Scientist from Mad Steam Book Reviews, pictured him like this, and she is spot on!  He fits the bill perfectly for a washed up boy band superstar. If you get a chance, pop over and say hello to Mad Scientist. She was one of my fave stops on my blog tour.

Here's the Butterman play list for Book 1:

*Young American Primitive – Daydream
This song because it’s trance-y and captures the mellow but intriguing vibe I imagine when Bianca’s showing Tristan the time-craft for the first time. (This entire album is excellent if you’re in to electronica)

2*  Mad Season – Long Gone Day
This song has a nice eerie, bluesy feel to it for the scenes when they first arrive in Manhattan and Tristan’s penthouse. Plus, the lyrics are appropriate for Tristan since he’s a former addict hoping to make a come-back. (This album is one of my all time faves)



3*  Alice in Chains – Again
This is when the action starts picking up, being chased through Manhattan on jetpacks. (Because I love rockin’ out to some AIC especially when I’m biking or driving fast)

4.*  Tori Amos – Iiee

I love the rise and fall of this song. It’s perfect for the scene on the way back from the night club to the time-craft, speeding through Manhattan and seeing all the futuristic LED billboards and holograms. (Tori Amos has long been my fave female vocalist and hearing her perform this song live in concert many years ago was just breathtaking. It’s always stuck with me as a perfect song for an action scene)


5*   Florence and the Machine -  Dog Days are Over

This one fits the mood of eluding the DOT and making a diversion to 1969. (Florence and the Machine. Need I say more?)

6* Jefferson Airplane – Won’t You Try

This is who’s playing at Woodstock when Bianca and Tristan first arrive at the scene. The music included during these scenes is based off the order from the film documentary of Woodstock, so I tried to keep it as true to life as possible. (I’ve never been a huge Jefferson Airplane fan, but I do like some of their stuff and Grace Slick is an iconic female rockstar)

7*  Janis Joplin – Work Me Lord

This is when Bianca first hears Janis perform. She’s not impressed at first, but when Janis really goes off, Bianca is blown away. (First time I ever saw Janis on TV I was the same way. I was around 22 and I was hooked. I bought all her albums after that. I just didn’t know women could rock out like that since I grew up in the 80s on glam pop. 

8 * Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze

Well if you’ve read the story, you know why this song is here. If you haven’t read it, what are you waiting for?


9 * Cyndi Lauper - Time After Time

I love this song. It captures the moment of Bianca and Tristan around the campfire, when she hears his song for the first time.

 * The Velvet Underground – I’m Sticking With You


This song wraps up the story nicely in the last scene, which has a hopeful feel to it. (This is off the Juno soundtrack—one of my fave to listen to for just a really mellow, happy vibe.)

*********************************************************************************

 Thanks for checking out my entry! Be sure to stop by Kyra's and Rachel's blogs to see the other entries! Always so much fun!

I finally finished my month long intensive writer's workshop, and have good stuff to share with you soon. I'm still catching up on all the great info from Indierecon! Even if you're trad pubbed, be sure to browse the website because it's chock full of marketing and writing advice. From all kinds of successful authors, too. 

And next week I'll be sharing the deets on what I think makes a successful blog tour, what my experience was like, and whether or not I think it was worth it. Check back soon!

Do you recognize any songs from my playlist? What do you think of the actors I chose? Do you have any in mind for your own WIP? Tell me everything!!

BTW I'm collecting emails for my newsletter. If you're interested in getting author updates and special announcements first, fill out my form. You have my strict No Spam promise! Just fill out the quick, easy form in my sidebar and that's it!


33 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Breslin could bring attitude!
Alice in Chains - excellent choice.

Fifi Islaih said...

I loved seeing this!! I will be sure to check out the others! Thank you!

Kyra Lennon said...

I've seen Abigail Breslin appear in another ones of these today - she's popular!

I need to know who that guy is you picked - he's yummy!

Thanks for taking part in the bloghop!

M.J. Fifield said...

I love your soundtrack. I, too, love to rock out to Alice In Chains. And the inclusion of Cyndi Lauper is brilliant.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I don't know the actors but I like some of your songs.

ilima said...

Love love love your music choices. And I LOVE Tori Amos...so lucky you got to see her live. :)

Sarah Foster said...

Nice choices! I liked all of the thought you put into the song choices, as well. :)

SC Author said...

Yay, Florence!!! She's one of my favorites.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I guess I wasn't feeling overly creative, so I didn't add the sound track. I need a niece to do that work too...

I have Butterman tucked away on my Kindle! Now I'll have to get book two also. Best of luck Pk!!

LD Masterson said...

Oh dear, I don't recognize most of the songs (I know Purple Haze, who doesn't?). I know most of the groups though, if that counts for something.

I tried to do the WIP the Movie thing in my head but all my choices were younger versions of actors who are now too old. I gotta update my internal lists.

Lexa Cain said...

Great picks and songs - although I totally didn't recognize the actors you picked. I thought they were Jennifer Lawrence and McCaully Culkin. Boy, am I behind the times! :P

Norma Beishir said...

Now this looks like fun! I might try to do WIP the Movie...but not on my blog....

Carol Riggs said...

Yeah!! I think those actors are perfect for your main characters! Awesome. Yep, I've signed up for your newsletter. :) I actually don't have actors in mind for my WIP, believe it or not!

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

PK, I swear we were twins separated at birth. Tori Amos, really. My favorite. She got me through some interesting times in my life. I've been blessed to see her live a couple of times. Still the best concert I ever been to. The way she interacts with the crowd is special.

sydneyaaliyah.com said...

PK, I swear we were twins separated at birth. Tori Amos, really. My favorite. She got me through some interesting times in my life. I've been blessed to see her live a couple of times. Still the best concert I ever been to. The way she interacts with the crowd is special.

Elephant's Child said...

Have you given up sleeping? I don't know how you manage to get sooooo much done.
Loved your playlist.

William Kendall said...

I know some of those songs in the playlist, and while I'm familiar with Abigail Breslin, I've never heard of Austin Butler.

Christina Mitchell said...

Nice cast and that is a fantastic playlist.

BTW I was curious (read nosy) about the model on the cover of that book. I stripped the background and words off the picture and did a google image search. She is from the 123rf image site.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_7147558_pretty-happy-young-pinup-girl-isolated-on-white-in-studio-representing-old-fashion-concept-and-style.html

Or if you don't want to click the link, google "pretty happy young pinup girl" in the image search. She comes right up, if you want to buy more images of her.

shelly said...

Nice cover and playlist.

spajonas said...

Love these choices for Bianca and Tristan!!

jamieayres.com said...

WHat a fun hop--love these :-)

spajonas said...

Oh! I just watched Ender's Game and Abigail is Ender's sister, Valentine. Yeah. Could totally see her as Bianca.

Julie Flanders said...

What an awesome soundtrack. And I have to say I laughed when you said you didn't know who Austin Butler is. I saw his pic and thought, who on earth is this?? I'm know I'm old and totally out of touch but usually I can at least recognize someone. So I was relieved when I read on LOL.

nutschell said...

Ooh, recognize some of the songs here. Cindi Lauper is just classic. :D
BTW, I nominated you for an award on my blog. :D hugs!

Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

E.J. Wesley said...

Lady, you've made me feel like a sloth lately! LOL Love your Wattpad project, though, and think your efforts are really going to pay off.

Catherine Stine said...

Hey, nice playlist!

Jay Noel said...

Hope you're beginning to catch up on everything...especially sleep.

The playlist is absolutely perfect for Butterman!

Kelly Steel said...

Like your songs, great playlist!

Cathrina Constantine said...

What a great cast of characters. Love Jimi Hendrix, actually mention Purple Haze in the book also!

Meradeth Houston said...

Great choices! And your playlist rocks! (Hah, no pun intended there, but it does :)

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Awesome playlist. Your choice for Bianca is a great one.

Denise Covey said...

Your new cover is gorgeous Pk.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I'm late. I know. Still trying to finish the list.

Great photos. That cover rocks!

Very eclectic song list.

Great job, PK!

Heather