Wednesday, May 7, 2014

IWSG - Wednesday .... Treading Water

Happy May, friends! And it's that time again when writers around the sphere come in for a virtual group hug.


Click on the pic to get to IWSG HQ at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog.

So now that A-Z is over bloggers are getting back to their regularly scheduled programming. I took most of the month off to focus on finishing the first draft and first round of edits on my sequel, which is due out late August. Plus I was on a special assignment at the other job.

And now here I am, still treading water to stay afloat. I'm not feeling insecure about my writing lately, but now that I've taken the leap from writer to published author, I'm feeling insecure about juggling the marketing aspect with productivity. Which is a conundrum of sorts, since from what I've learned, writing more books IS the best way to market.

That's where patience comes in. I don't want to burn out, so I'm limiting myself on social media while I'm writing, but I can't help feeling I'm not doing enough. Rationally, I know that's not that case, and I remind myself to go easy. Yet, those insecurities tend to sneak in sometimes. I'd love to know what you all do to keep a level head.

Aside from that, here's what's been going on ...

Last week, I revealed my brand spankin' new cover for the Butterman Travel sequel,
INDUCTION DAY! I gave the folks on my newsletter mailing list the first peek, and if you haven't signed up for my newsletter already, I hope you will. The form is right over in my sidebar and it's the number one way I'll be sharing author news and events, as well as sneak peeks and prizes. Not that I'm forgetting about my blog buddies here, but just that the newsletter will be my first and foremost form of communication.

If you missed this last one, not to worry! I'd love to have you get in on the fun and help reveal my cover.


Add this to your GoodReads shelf by clicking right HERE.

The year 2069 is coming to a close, and eighteen-year-old Bianca Butterman's pilot license is finally official. She's ready for the Induction Day she’s waited for since she was a kid—the one that will secure her name on the Butterman family tree of time travelers. But ever since the media discovered Bianca is pop superstar Tristan Helms’ latest new honey, everything Bianca does or says becomes a target of criticism. Having her professional credibility topping the gossip sites across social media is an open invitation for the government to step in and regulate Bianca’s Induction. Now she will have to ask herself if saving 1500 people from drowning is worth losing everything she’s ever worked for, including the Butterman family biz.

I'm trying something different for this cover reveal--a sort of free for all, to make it easier. I have no idea how it'll work, but I'll let you know. All you have to do is share my cover any time by the end of the month and tag me or email me to let me know, and I'll include your name in a very special acknowledgments page of the book. You can share on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, Google +, you name it! Just let me know that you did so I can record it. If you want to include the blurb, be my guest! Even just the cover is great for me. 

Now, for some more great news! Butterman (Time) Travel, Inc. was nominated for Best Debut at the upcoming UtopYA awards! What a surprise that was. And I'm so looking forward to being in Nashville for the event. You can vote HERE. I'm in some excellent company, so the nomination alone is a treat. 

Also, I've been listening to my audiobook for Butterman Travel, Inc. all week and it's almost ready to go into final edits. It's been so amazing hearing my book narrated back to me. The narrator did such a fabulous job. If you've been thinking about listing your book on ACX and have any questions at all, feel free to email me and I'll tell you what's in store. 

Enough about me, let's see some good news from around the blogosphere:

SJ Pajonas just released her contemporary romance, Face Time, and it's available now:


After the best first date ever, Lee thought Laura was funny, intelligent, and impulsive; a whirlwind of bright laughter and happiness. Laura loved Lee's sweet smile and the way he expertly filled in every awkward pause. He held her hand and then pulled her in for the most perfect kiss she’s had in years. What could possibly be wrong? Just the 7000 miles that separates them the next day.
Even though Lee has gone home to Seoul, Laura can't stop thinking about him. What starts as an innocent text thanking him for their dinner date becomes something much more: someone either of them can't live without. But Laura's got a live-in mother going through a midlife crisis, and Lee's stressful traveling schedule means they'll be apart for some time. Life, family, and a complicated past also get in the way, and they're both going to need actual face time to figure it out.
Told from both Lee and Laura’s point of view, FACE TIME is a funny, romantic, modern-day story about two people who connect across the world.

More links on SJ's website HERE

Also, Margo Kelly's debut cover reveal, Who R U Really


Thea's overprotective parents are driving her insane. They invade her privacy, ask too many questions, and restrict her online time so severely that Thea feels she has no life at all. When she discovers a new role-playing game online, Thea breaks the rules by staying up late to play. She's living a double life: on one hand, the obedient daughter; on the other, a girl slipping deeper into darkness. In the world of the game, Thea falls under the spell of Kit, an older boy whose smarts and savvy can't defeat his loneliness and near-suicidal despair. As Kit draws soft-hearted Thea into his drama, she creates a full plate of cover stories for her parents and then even her friends.

Soon, Thea is all alone in the dark world with Kit, who worries her more and more, but also seems to be the only person who really "gets" her. Is he frightening, the way he seems sometimes, or only terribly sad? Should Thea fear Kit, or pity him? And now, Kit wants to come out of the screen and bring Thea into his real-life world. As much as she suspects that this is wrong, Thea is powerless to resist Kit's allure, and hurtles toward the same dark fate her parents feared most. Ripped from a real-life story of Internet stalking, Who R U Really? will excite you and scare you, as Thea's life spins out of control.

Add to your Goodreads shelf HERE
Find Margo on her website HERE

And last but never least, Brandi Hall is revealing Tempted:

A Sweet Upper YA / NA Paranormal Romance.

What if the very thing to save you—is the one thing beyond your reach?

Torn between the two men who have fallen for her—and the evil who wants to possess her—twenty-year-old Chloe Bishop can no longer remember the fatal vision which threatens her future happiness. But when the magical link is severed between Chloe and her Wiccan family, they must find a way to save her before temptation leads her into darkness—and into the welcoming arms of Mr. Wrong.

Add it to GoodReads HERE
Find Brandi HERE

Thank you so much for stopping by here today! Don't those books look and sound great?? Are you feeling insecure about anything? How do you remind yourself you can't do it all? Did you sign up for my newsletter in the sidebar? Don't forget to tag me when you share my new cover! 

42 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Congratulations (and thank you) to you, and all the other writers. You enrich my world.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's the cover? It's awesome! Will be happy to share it next week. And I better sign up for the newsletter, because Ninjas can't be left out of the loop...

Natalie Aguirre said...

I'm sharing your cover today. I can imagine it's hard juggling everything. I'm having a harder time juggling it all too with all I have going in my personal life.

Annalisa Crawford said...

You sound pretty on top of things, and I think you've got a good handle on the marketing too. Congratulations on the nomination!

Norma Beishir said...

I have a question, PK--who does your covers? This one is as wonderful as your first! I will happily share it!

And yes, I'm very interested in doing audiobooks.

Limiting your online time while writing is the smartest move you can make.

Julie Flanders said...

Wow, the new cover is wonderful! Adding the book to my Goodreads now. Congrats!

Barbara Watson said...

Balance is a hard thing to find.

I love the cover. The colors, shadows, and tie-in with your first.

Karen Walker said...

I can't wait to read the sequel to Butterman, Pk. I loved it.

Carrie-Anne said...

Congratulations on your nomination!

My biggest insecurity this week is the fact that my cover hasn't been sent to me yet! I'll be really upset if I have to push off my release date, when I specially chose 9 May since it's my protagonist's birthday.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I know what you're saying. Marketing is such a time suck and it aggravates and wears me down.

As a member of your newsletter, i saw that cover...and I shared it on my blog. I hope I didn't commit an over-eager sharing faux paus.

mooderino said...

The marketing side of things is a pain for most writers but at least you have a great cover to tout!

mood
Moody Writing

Chrys Fey said...

You're smart to limit social media while you write. Now that the Challenge is over I am trying to limit my blog posts by keeping it to 1-2 posts a week, but of course this week I had to do three in a row!

Congratulations on your nomination!! I am heading over to add your book to my Goodreads shelf now. :) The cover is amazing!

Crystal Collier said...

Wahoo! I know what you mean about the balancing act. I actually had to push my dates back due to an upcoming move, and it's been killing me. I'm so impressed with how productive you've been though. Way to go!

Margo Kelly said...

Your cover is AWESOME!! And thanks for sharing my cover too! It's a great day. :)

Andrew Leon said...

In order to keep a level head, you take a board and beat whichever part of your head that's becoming unlevel. Also, that tends to keep you loopy enough to not notice some of the unlevelness.

cleemckenzie said...

I'm dedicating this month to new books. I'll put your cover up and your link to goodreads. Off now to add your book to my TBR list.

spajonas said...

It is soooooo hard to juggle promotion, marketing, and writing at the same time. I can see why authors who sell lots of books hire people to help them with that! Someday we can do that too :) Thanks for putting FACE TIME up there! I loved seeing the other covers featured as well.

Beverly Stowe McClure said...

Gorgeous cover. Congratulations. All the other books look interesting too. So many new novels are coming out it's going to be an interesting summer.

Margo Berendsen said...

I love your book covers! I havent' even got to your first time travel book and now there is a second? I dearly love time travel though... and this cover, I want to blow it up and look at the all the details...

Nick Wilford said...

Lots of great books coming up! And yours too, natch. :) I always try and remember that word of mouth is the best publicity, not that I am in the marketing stage yet, but you're definitely doing the right thing by putting the writing first. That should ALWAYS be first. People want the next book, and it won't happen if you're tweeting all day!

Nick Wilford said...

Lots of great books coming up! And yours too, natch. :) I always try and remember that word of mouth is the best publicity, not that I am in the marketing stage yet, but you're definitely doing the right thing by putting the writing first. That should ALWAYS be first. People want the next book, and it won't happen if you're tweeting all day!

Nick Wilford said...

Lots of great books coming up! And yours too, natch. :) I always try and remember that word of mouth is the best publicity, not that I am in the marketing stage yet, but you're definitely doing the right thing by putting the writing first. That should ALWAYS be first. People want the next book, and it won't happen if you're tweeting all day!

S.K. Anthony said...

More books is definitely the best way to market . . . unfortunately we still have to do a bit of the other dirty work. We do what we can, eh? Love your cover :D

S.K.Anthony: IWSG

William Kendall said...

Your cover looks smashing, PK!

Juneta Key said...

Great book cover. I am not to the point of all the media juggling, although I am working on my author platform, while I write my first novel. Good Luck.

Juneta at Writer's Gambit

Brandi Leigh Hall said...

Marketing is definitely the hardest thing to juggle. I know I struggle with it DAILY! Thank you sooooo much for sharing my cover! :)

Donna Hole said...

That's an awesome new cover PK.

Stephanie Faris said...

Face Time sounds really interesting! When I was 15, I met a boy at Myrtle Beach who lived in Rochester, NY. I was in Nashville. We wrote letters for years (although the frequency slowed significantly over time, admittedly!). I wonder how it would have gone if we'd had today's technology back then...

T. Drecker said...

Great cover! And congratulations! This whole social media thing is wonderful, but there are other important things in life. And if that's writing - yippee! Write away and don't worry about blogging or tweeting. We'll all be here for awhile, I bet ;)

Romance Reader said...

Congratulations! Great covers and the premise sounds wonderful!

jamieayres.com said...

LOVE your new cover . . . I remember getting the newsletter, but since I've lost my mind, I can't remember if I remembered to share it anywhere, lol. Will do so though! Can't wait till school ends so maybe then my brain won't be such mush trying to keep up with everything.

Mark Murata said...

That's a very good cover. I'll have to get back to you on your offer, but I hope you don't get tagged by hundreds of people.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

So many good books! Thank you for sharing them.
I still really love the cover for your sequel.

Jay Noel said...

Love your cover! And I've marked it to-read. Looking forward to the next book in your series.

I'm already getting burned out with my day job, so I think I need some kind of vacation.

LD Masterson said...

So many good choices this spring.

Love your new cover. I'll add it to my regular post on Wednesday.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Congrats! Loving your cover! As far as getting out there marketing wise, whoa, I know what you mean. There's the bumbling and then there's the gracious kind. Uh, I pick the latter since I did the first when I started out. Such a head ache, yet, so much fun. Not sure how I feel about it.

J.L. Campbell said...

I like the feel that the blue gives to your cover. After the A-Z, I had the same insecurity. The feeling of not doing enough, considering. I guess we can only do so much and no more and writing is the most important of those things.

Liz Blocker said...

Ooo, I really like this cover! I'll share it of course - I'm actually putting a tweet about it into my buffer right now :)

Oh lord, I wish I had a formula for how much time I needed to spend on social media, marketing, writing, etc. It's such a balancing act, isn't it? I think some weeks are social media heavy, and some weeks are writing heavy, and that might just bee the way it is.

CONGRATS on the nomination!!!

jamieayres.com said...

Posted your cover on my blog yesterday and added it on GR! Can't wait to read it :-)

DL Hammons said...

The cover to your sequel is absolutely gorgeous! You should be very proud! :)

Rachel Morgan said...

I LOVED the cover for the first BUTTERMAN novel, and it's possible I love this second one even more! Congratulations!

Ali basith said...

The information you provide As Helpful For I waiting for more information Not Lose Its attractive From Husband
Obat Tradisional Nyeri Pada Payudara
Obat Gagal Jantung Tanpa Operasi
Obat Kanker Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Obat Jantung Rematik Tanpa Operasi
Obat Komplikasi Asma Bronkial
Pengobatan Urat Syaraf Kejepit