Wednesday, July 2, 2014

IWSG - Wednesday and Three Questions Every Author Should Ask


Happy July! And since it's the first Wednesday of the month, it's also IWSG day! Yay! Click on the pic above to get to IWSG HQ at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog.

So last weekend when I went to Nashville I had the pleasure of front row seats for the keynote speaker Sylvia Day. She was stupendous. Everything she said was just pure gold. She talked a lot about being an author meaning having a business, and making smart business decisions. It's no surprise she's one of the highest paid authors in traditional publishing today, considering how savvy she is. She also self-pubs some work, most of which has been picked up by traditional pubs because of her success.

She said authors should always ask themselves these three questions before making any business decisions regarding their writing--whether it be to self-pub, accept an offer from an agent, or sign a contract with a publisher:

1. Are you saying yes or no because you're afraid?

2. Are you saying yes or no because you don't understand your options?

3. Are you saying yes or no because you think the outcome will validate you?

If you answer yes to any of these, you're making a bad business decision. It's never been a better time to be a writer and the options are abundant. Make sure you're aware of all of them, and make the best choice for each project. Don't feel like every project has to take the same path. Explore, and be smart.

Empower yourself to take charge of your career, and make the best choice for YOU.

I thought it was great advice, especially if you're in this writing gig to make a living from your work. She also cautioned on selling your work too cheap because then that's what readers and publishing houses will come to expect from you, and you could have trouble ever making what you're worth.

Admittedly, I've never read any of Sylvia's books, but I plan to now because she's such a smart lady.

That's it for me today. Short and sweet. But very important.

Look who's got a book out: It's from blogger buddy Carrie-Anne Brownian.



In the world Adicia Éloïse Troy is from, life is more like a Grimms’ fairytale than a Disney fairytale. But sometimes even the darkest, most twisted fairytale has a happy ending, even for a poor girl from the Lower East Side. 


Available now on Amazon
                       Barnes & Noble
                       Kobo  

Congrats Carrie-Anne!

Thanks so much for stopping by!Tell me, have you ever stopped and asked yourself any of those three questions? Have you made a bad business decision in the past? Or have you caught yourself from making one? Maybe you're not at that point yet, which is great because now you can write these questions down and return to them when it's time. 

50 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations, Carrie-Anne!
Smart questions. It should never be just for validation. That has to come from within.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Darn good questions. Great post! Heather.

Karen Walker said...

Pk, this is the most I most needed right now. Thank you. As I put finishing touches on my novel, this process will begin for me and I am dreading it.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Congrats to Carrie Anne! Off to check out this smart lady. Love those three questions.

Emma Adams said...

Great advice! I've made mistakes before, but it's absolutely true that every project can take a different path. I think that's why so many people have found success as hybrid authors, as they get the best of both traditional and self-publishing.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for the encouraging and helpful post.

Sarah Foster said...

Great advice! We have to remember not to sell ourselves short. Thanks for sharing!

Miranda Hardy said...

Great three questions to test yourself. She is an inspiring woman.

Elsie Amata said...

Thank you so much for sharing her wonderful pearls of wisdom. I can safely answer yes to all three. Looks like I have some thinking to do.

Elsie

Laurel Garver said...

It's easy to make business decisions for emotional reasons. But easy does not equal wise. Great list!

JJ said...

Explore, and be smart. Great advice!

Norma Beishir said...

PK, this is a post every new author--make that every author--should read!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I worry about the "selling yourself too cheap" thing when it comes to author visits and Skypes. Every time I've been asked about my price, I seem to give a wrong answer. Either I'm told they can't afford me and good-bye, or -- if I name a low or even non-existent fee, they say they'll get back to me and then they don't. I assume they figure I'm no good if I'm cheap?

Cathrina Constantine said...

Good advice and good post, PK.

Carrie-Anne said...

Thanks for featuring me!

A lot of writers are selling themselves too cheap. If you price your books at 99 cents or the so-called $2.99 ghetto, readers may come to believe all indie books, or books by you, aren't as good as traditionally published books with realistic prices. I priced mine based on length, and don't think I'd ever price any e-book below $3.99 (for the shorter ones) or any paperback book under maybe seven to ten dollars.

Nancy Thompson said...

I're read 3 of her books and she's very good. As for her questions, I do worry about question 3. Having been traditionally pubbed by a small press, then going indie for my second, I love the control of being indie, but what would I do if I were offered more, say by a major imprint? I do seek some kind of validation, but I've also seen first hand how that can affect an author. A close friend turned into the most god-awful diva imaginable, and stepped on every one of us on her way the proverbial ladder. I don't think I'd want to be in that position.

Andrew Leon said...

I've never heard of her, but I'll go look her up. I agree with not making decisions from fear.

Chrys Fey said...

Those are three great questions to ask. Unfortunately, I have said no because I was afraid. That's something I need to work on.

S.K. Anthony said...

Oh this is fantastic! Love the questions and great tip ;)

shelly said...

Glad you got to go. Great tips!

Murees Dupé said...

Great post and congratulations to Carrie-Anne.

Crystal Collier said...

Great questions! I'm more inclined to say "no" to anything and everything, unless it's 100% necessary. That's probably not the best approach to take when working on promotions, but hey, sanity might be more important than dollars at this point. Ask me again in 6 months.

cleemckenzie said...

She gave you some super guidelines!

Elephant's Child said...

Excellent questions - and more than applicable to life in general, not just to business decisions.
Congratulations to Carrie-Anne as well.

Editors At Work said...

Great post and very good questions from Sylvia Day.

Congratulations to Carrie-Ann!

Leandra Wallace said...

I will have to write these questions down to save for someday. Thanks for the recap! And I don't think I've ever read any of her books either.

Lynda R Young said...

I like that not every project has to take the same path. A good reminder.

Donna Hole said...

Those are good questions to ask yourself.

Congrats Carrie.

Joe Bloghead said...

Really interesting - it's got to be tempting to make the easiest choice out of fear.

jamieayres.com said...

Hey, I wrote about the same advice in my post :-) And congrats again to Carrie!

William Kendall said...

Congratulations to Carrie-Anne!

Robin said...

Creative types often have a difficult time with all of the business of writing. I am terrible at that sort of thing. And that tells me that when the time comes I need to stretch outside my comfort zone and become informed so that I make a business decision and not an emotional one.

Lexa Cain said...

Congrats to Carrie-Ann! Few people are colder than I when it comes to decisions than I am, so I don't worry about that part. I worry about the fact that getting pubbed and becoming popular have more to do with luck than ability. Nothing anyone can do about that .. except just keep working and keep hoping.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I made a bad business decision but I'm in the process of correcting it. Thoughtful post.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Congratulations to Carrie-Anne.

I think I've always made sensible business decisions. I've always made sure I knew my options, that's for sure!

Natalie Aguirre said...

Those are great and very important questions to ask ourselves.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

When I was first offered a publishing contract, I jumped in way too fast without fully researching it. I was afraid it would be yanked away from me if I hesitated or negotiated. And there ended up being some clauses I didn't understand that caused me trouble later on.

All those questions are good ones to ask.

Meradeth Houston said...

Excellent questions--definitely good to keep in mind!

Liz Blocker said...

MAN those are good questions, especially for writers - but really, for anyone trying to run a small business. Thank you for sharing them!

T. Drecker said...

Great post! It's important to know why we're making the decisions we do and make sure it's not for the wrong reasons. Thanks for the reminder.

LD Masterson said...

Good advice to remember. Thanks.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Excellent questions to consider. People get caught up in a lot because of fear of action or inaction.

Tammy Mckee said...

Lovely advice from you and Sylvia Day!!! In the end we all have to do what's best for us, get our stories out there, and have wine or chocolate or in my case both. ;)

Tammy Mckee said...

Lovely advice from you and Sylvia Day!!! In the end we all have to do what's best for us, get our stories out there, and have wine or chocolate or in my case both. ;)

erica and christy said...

Thanks! This is helpful info. I look forward to making better business decisions because of it!

Catherine Stine said...

Ooh, how great was it to hear Sylvia Day speak!!!!
And those are smart questions, for sure.

Ali basith said...

The information you provide As Helpful For I waiting for more information Not Lose Its attractive From Husband
Obat Tradisional Nyeri Pada Payudara
Obat Gagal Jantung Tanpa Operasi
Obat Kanker Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Obat Jantung Rematik Tanpa Operasi
Obat Komplikasi Asma Bronkial
Pengobatan Urat Syaraf Kejepit

Pengobatan herbal14 said...

very interesting article , other articles awaited :)Pengobatan Kista Ovarium Tanpa Operasi

Dhe Basith said...

Thank you for the information, do not forget to stop by my health website in the kidney herbal medicine and herbal medicine hypertension

Obat Herbal Mengik Terbaik
how to treat chest pain Left
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts Without opersi
Treatment Give - Give Naturally

Blogger said...

eToro is the most recommended forex broker for beginning and advanced traders.