Wednesday, August 6, 2014

IWSG - The Artist

Ah, August .... how you bring such bittersweetness. Soon, the kids will be back in school and writing time will be abundant .... yet mornings will require efficiency, motivation, and precision ... all just after the crack of dawn.


Today is the first Wednesday of the month and that means time fore IWSG around the blogosphere coming together for support and encouragement. Click on the pic below to get to HQ at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog and join in or see all the participants.


Do you think being an artist makes you more insecure? Does that feeling go with the territory?

When I use the word "artist" it's to encompass anyone who uses creativity to build something out of nothing, whether it be stories, paintings, music, etc. Many of us create more than one kind of art. I myself handcraft and draw, as well as write .... many of you are musicians or graphic artists as well as writers.

Creation and artistry is in our blood, and we need more than one outlet. I crave that feeling of working with my hands--other than typing. And although I'm not musically talented, music plays a HUGE part in my creative process.

It took me a very long time to realize that being an artist made me different--in a good way. A unique way. But growing up I didn't understand it. I was not academically inclined. My grades were average and in many cases I scraped by. I never felt like I wasn't smart enough, only that I wasn't wired for academics. Yet somehow, that seemed to make me inferior in school. Why is that?

Not full understanding your artist brain  makes school careers challenging. Sometimes there were bad grades, or disciplinary actions, and that can make for LOTS of insecurities. My parents noticed my artistic abilities early on and tried to emphasize that with drawing lessons and such. But that still required learning in a certain format, and that was where I differed.

I didn't flourish under standard teaching methods, because my brain worked differently. I craved experience and emotion and the need to create. That made me different than the status quo, and that made me insecure.

My point is, as artists we ARE different. We ARE more insecure. It's in our nature. And that's because we FEEL things more deeply. The structures of every day life don't work for us, because we're not wired that way. We look for the beauty and emotion and rawness of life so that we can in turn create from it. And having that hyper-sensitivity is what makes us so valuable as artists, while on the flip side, making us so vulnerable to insecurity.

We hope to evoke feeling in those we share our art with, and when we do, it's a rush like none other! Sometimes our art evokes the wrong feelings, and we're judged and critiqued and left feeling as deflated as a popped balloon. And we feel that intensely.

But that's okay, because as artists, we are meant to feel everything--even the bad stuff--because that fills our creative well with more raw emotion to use in our art. Yes, there are ups and downs like a roller coaster in the artist's life ... but that's what makes it so grand. We are thrust into the middle of a ride and hanging on for dear life, but through it all, we are LIVING.

It's not the life for everyone, and sometimes the downs seem to last too long. But the ups are so rewarding.

We are artists. We embrace our insecurities because we know they make us real. They connect us with human nature and allow us to breathe life into our art.


I hope you have an excellent week. I'm running giveaways all week via my newsletter for my upcoming release at the end of the month. You can join my email list right here  http://eepurl.com/O0s5b
and I'll send you a free ebook of Diary of a Teenage Time Traveler.

I'm also part of a sci-fi romance box set with ten other authors at a price you can't beat with a stick. Only .99 for eleven full length novels. Click on pic to get to All Romance and download in your preferred format.

It's currently an All Romance bestseller, so YAY!


I just got my shiny new proof in the mail yesterday, so I'll be proofing away today. If anyone would like an ARC to read and review, please email me at pakazo77@gmail.com


And if you have a quick minute to share my super cool trailer, I'll be forever grateful! You can share right from the YouTube share buttons on the same page.

TRAILER

Thank you so much for stopping by! Tell me about your own experience as an artist? Did you identify it at an early age? Do you still struggle with the insecurities or do you have a grip? What are the biggest challenges?

29 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Look at you and your proof! That's awesome.
Crap, I did well in school. Maybe I'm not really artistic?
Agree that our artistic tendencies spring up in more than one area. That's why I enjoy playing music so much.

Karen Walker said...

You expressed an artist's nature so beautifully, Pk. And you look so beautiful with your ARC. Congrats. I didn't have parents who understood that I was different and so my insecurities were deep. It is only now that I accept my uniqueness and see it as a positive thing.

Miranda Hardy said...

Great picture! Yes, we as artists are insecure, and I'm okay with that. I embrace it.

Crystal Collier said...

Lady! Way congrats! I need to email you because I'd be totally happy to do an early review, but my computer died last night. Died. Ug. Okay, it was just the power supply, but the result is the same. Anyhow, here's to artists everywhere and their unique brand of cheese!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

woop woop

congrats

I'll go share :>)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Wish your high school experience had been better. I always felt like the HS I taught at did a great job of recognizing all kinds of talent not just academic. With the pressure on schools for academic performance, there will be even less notice given to the 'artists' among our youth.
Congrats on all the writing excitement going on with you.

Stephsco said...

Yes, we creative types are different. When you put yourself into your art and share you, you expose hidden sides of the self. Not easy.

DAVID WALSTON said...

I never thought of myself as an artist...Thanks for shining some light there.

Chrys Fey said...

Congratulations on your proof!!! It looks great!

I was always artsy, but I got good grades. Except in math. Math was my killer. You described artists perfectly, PK. Congrats again. :)

Julie Flanders said...

That proof looks wonderful. Awesome pic!
Off to watch the trailer now. :)

cleemckenzie said...

Beautiful pose with that new book, PK. Congratulations.

And thanks for the super post about the artist and what sets them apart, makes them suffer a bit more and definitely makes them an intriguing lot.

Sarah Foster said...

I think being an artist makes us insecure because when we put our work out into the world, we're asking people to judge it. It might not always be good.

Norma Beishir said...

Are you familiar with a book titled The Creating Brain?

I'll proof for you, if you're still looking for people.

Carrie-Anne said...

I was always an A student in elementary school, and got some Bs and Cs in some classes in junior high, high school, and college. Not bad for someone who wasn't expected to graduate elementary school due to my then-unexplained social, emotional, and behavioral issues.

My mother wouldn't let me take art past my sophomore year, since I'm not on the level of professionals. I'm well aware of how I'm not the next Klee or Picasso, but I've always enjoyed drawing and painting. A lot of good artists didn't get into art till they were older, and had to teach themselves everything. It doesn't mean they're not real artists, because they didn't have a burning talent from a young age.

Elephant's Child said...

Hmmm. I am grateful to all the artists, for the challenges they face and overcome and for the beauty and magic they bring me.
However, I am an appreciator rather than a creator - and believe me, I still feel and my insecurities are probably on a par with yours.

Andrew Leon said...

I don't believe that artists are more insecure. People are insecure, some more some less. Artists fall into the same security ranges as everyone else; it's just that artists throw it out there for other people to see instead of hiding it like most everyone else.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Awesome picture of you and your proof. And yes, I agree we're more insecure. It's hard not too with all the subjective feedback we get from agents and editors.

Robin said...

Congratulations on your new ARC. Creative people are wired differently. Period.

William Kendall said...

I tend to think I thought of myself as having an artistic streak by my early teens.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

Before I was bullied in school, I received the Presidential Award for Academic Excellence. Once I hit junior high, I barely passed classes.
My art, of course, became more of a necessity than usual during that time.

Donna Hole said...

Being creative naturally puts your "stuff" out there for the world to judge. Of course we are insecure. But we get lots of positive reinforcement from out friends :)

E.J. Wesley said...

Definitely comes with the territory when you create highly personal and introspective things and attempt to share them with the world. There's a perception, right or wrong, that the entire point of what we do is create things to be judged worthy or unworthy by the masses. That'll make anyone a little fidgety. :)

I think it's when we move beyond that and embrace that we're creating as much for us as for them that the insecurities don't sting as much. When I get too focused on what others are going to think, it eats me up.

Denise Covey said...

You and your proofs look very cute. Go Pk. That is a good price for All Romance. Glad that the sci-fi includes romance in these books.

I did well at school but am also very creative. There are multiple intelligences, but at school only one is applauded as a general rule.

Denise

annakindt said...

I agree that our 'artistic' selves may need more than one outlet. I write fiction and poetry, but I also enjoy playing various types of folk music on the recorder. I can't really draw, but I've experimented with Japanese brush painting.

Sometimes when I'm feeling bad about my writing, practicing the recorder can put me in a more optimistic frame of mind. And it entertains the cats.

T. Drecker said...

Gorgeous picture :) And I shared your trailer on my blog. I love trailers ;)
Yes, we are artists. Writing is an art. It's easy to forget that.

Ali basith said...

The information you provide As Helpful For I waiting for more information Not Lose Its attractive From Husband
Obat Tradisional Nyeri Pada Payudara
Obat Gagal Jantung Tanpa Operasi
Obat Kanker Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Obat Jantung Rematik Tanpa Operasi
Obat Komplikasi Asma Bronkial
Pengobatan Urat Syaraf Kejepit

Ali basith said...

The information you provide As Helpful For I waiting for more information Not Lose Its attractive From Husband
Obat Tradisional Nyeri Pada Payudara
Obat Gagal Jantung Tanpa Operasi
Obat Kanker Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Obat Jantung Rematik Tanpa Operasi
Obat Komplikasi Asma Bronkial
Pengobatan Urat Syaraf Kejepit

Pengobatan herbal14 said...

very interesting article , other articles awaited :)Pengobatan Kista Ovarium Tanpa Operasi

Dhe Basith said...

Thank you for the information, do not forget to stop by my health website in the kidney herbal medicine and herbal medicine hypertension

Obat Herbal Mengik Terbaik
how to treat chest pain Left
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts Without opersi
Treatment Give - Give Naturally