Wednesday, March 4, 2015

IWSG - On Rejection ... and a special announcement!


Happy March! As always on the first Wednesday of the month, writers around the blogosphere come together to share ups and downs of the writerly lifestyle. All are welcome! Feel free to join the group, as it's an excellent way to network with other bloggers and writers. Click the picture above to get to IWSG HQ.

I've been thinking a lot about rejection lately, and how crushing it can be to our fragile egos. Rejection comes in so many ways-- from literary agents, to editors, to those who review our published work and don't jibe with it. It really does take a rhino-skin to keep moving forward.

What I was reminded of these past couple of months, is that rejection is not just for writers. We do not suffer a unique form of adversity because we choose this writer's path. Rejection is a reality for every artist, as well as professionals in the work place.

I've been declined positions before when interviewing in my corporate job. That's rejection. And in positions where I've been accepted, others were rejected. As an artist/craftsman, last month, I put in for two art shows I've never done before for PK's Pixies and was rejected by both. Had I not had so much experience with rejection through the query process, this may have led me to believe my art wasn't good enough.

It did disappoint me for a few days, but I pressed on, and did the art shows where I was accepted. Then something wonderful happened! Three other art markets either accepted my application, or invited me to be a part of one I'd never heard of. Had I given up, this never would've happened.

Writing is no different. Rejection is not exclusive to our art form. Everyone deals with it, and maybe not as much as we do, but rejection can come in so many forms.

It's something helpful to remember when we're wallowing in our writerly misery and wondering why we ever thought we could be successful at it.

Hope you have a wonderful writerly Wednesday!

On to my special announcement ...


Our amazing writers' community is sponsoring an auction of epic proportions! NA Alley will host this year's online auction event April 27-May 1 and all the funds raised will go to Queena. If you don't know who Queena is, she is the incredible young woman I'm writing a memoir about. At age 18 she was attacked while returning books to her local library. Beaten, raped, strangled, and left for dead, she suffered severe brain trauma and eventually went into a coma.

This year she'll celebrate her 25th birthday, but her years from 18-25 have been nothing like she'd planned. Every day is a struggle and accomplishment. She's blind, unable to speak, or care for herself. She requires round-the-clock care. But she's making strides every day! It costs over $70K a year for her medical expenses and therapy, and the family relies on donations and fundraisers to cover these costs.

We over at NA Alley are so excited to host this event and do something really nice for Queena and her family--something that they won't have to lift a finger for.

And we need YOUR help! We are accepting donations of any kind from authors and publishing professionals across the industry. We will take ebooks, signed paperbacks, audiobooks on CD, gift cards, book swag, publishing services such as editing, formatting, cover designs, etc., query and first page critiques.

Anything of value to a reader or writer is welcome. In return, we will be advertizing for you via our online auction. Bidders will see your name and/or logo, and/ or book cover when browsing the auction. This auction will be open internationally, so it will reach places that may never before have seen your book or service.

If you can donate, please leave me a comment with your email, or email me directly at pakazo77@gmail.com  and please feel free to share this around the internet. Spread the word!

Help us show Queena lots of love, and that goodness always prevails over evil. Watch her latest video to learn more about her. Her family is so appreciative of any and all support, and they are good, honest, loving people.


47 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can donate a book! Or two.
That's awesome you got those other shows and you weren't even looking for them. You're right that rejection comes to all of us in one form or another.

shelly said...

I'll be glad to donate. Where do I send some books?

Chrys Fey said...

You're right that rejection isn't just for writers, and we face rejection in several forms. It's just something we all have to deal with nowadays.

I can definitely donate a few ebooks. :D

Karen Walker said...

You are so right about rejection, Pk. We all face it in one way or another in our lives. What a wonderful thing you are doing for Queena. I'd be happy to help.

nashvillecats2 said...

Rejection as you say comes in all different areas of life and as you know I've had my share.
What I am proud of is the way my followers here have helped me through some difficult times, so a BIG THANK YOU ALL.

cleemckenzie said...

Just a part of life I guess, this rejection. Now that I have a writing life it has crept in there, too.

I was pleased to help you with a donation to get your story about Queena off to a good start. Glad it's coming together.

VR Barkowski said...

It's true, rejection is a part of life. It's possible creatives feel it more because their heart and soul is being rejected—arguably a deeper hurt than being rejected on a learned skill set or appearance. I don't believe this, but I've heard it said. :)

I can donate a couple ARCs of my novel due out in June.

VR Barkowski

Natalie Aguirre said...

So true. Looking for a job involves lots of rejection. It's not fun at all.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hey FUTURE NEIGHBOR....

Yup, you read right.. LOL. It's been ages, Sweets....

Well sold the Chicago Condo in November and I'be been looking in Tampa since. I was down there for a month, going INSANE and missing out on three properties.

Just before I had left on Monday, I found the perfect place .... Put in my offer and waiting soooo patiently. It is in an AMAZING neighborhood just south of Hyde Park just off Bayshore Blvd. SWEET! Send me some positive vibes if you can. I'll keep you posted. If all works out I'll be moving to Tampa in mid April...

Ah, rejection... GLAD others love your pixies... You know I LOVE MINE..... so true. we must never give up. Opportunities are everywhere.

Let's catch up soon....

dolorah said...

I find rejection in my personal life much harder to accept than in my writing. I've been job hunting for months and getting the standard "sorry, we hired someone else" letters in e-mail and snail mail. Quite depressing.

That's great you are getting gigs for your artwork. Its cool to have two separate creative outlets.

Elephant's Child said...

I think rejection is a part of being engaged in life (trying to be engaged). Hard, but sometimes the lessons are good.
I love the support you are offering for Queena. I will be bidding at that auction.

William Kendall said...

It's very commendable what you're doing for Queena.

Rejection is part of life, after all.

Diane Burton said...

You are so right about rejection being a part of life--corporate and/or artistic. It's hard but we have to get over it and soldier on.

Emma Adams said...

Rejection is a part of the writing life at all stages of the journey!

I'd be happy to donate some ebooks! My email address is emmaladams2 at gmail dot com.

SA Larsenッ said...

Very true about rejection. That's why we must be true to ourselves and be comfortable in that. The memoir you're writing...I applaud you and I'm here to help you in anyway you need.

Annalisa Crawford said...

Learning how to deal with rejection is very important. It also helps you to learn how to do better next time!

I can donate a signed copy of That Sadie Thing, if you would like it.

Arlee Bird said...

Rejection doesn't always feel good, but sometimes it works out for the best. I can think of many things in my past where if I hadn't been rejected I'd probably have been a lot worse off for having been accepted.

Be thankful for everything is the way I see it.

Arlee Bird
A to Z Challenge Co-host
Tossing It Out

LD Masterson said...

Rejection can feel like a biggie sometimes but when you put it in perspective - as listening to Queena's story just did for me - it's a very small blip.

jamieayres.com said...

Great reminder! Congrats on your Pixie success! And I can donate ecopies of my trilogy and a critique of the first 20 pgs if that works :-)

DL Hammons said...

If you're not failing...or being rejected...then you're not trying hard enough. They go hand in hand and although it is rough...it should be expected.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I would be happy to donate a 3-chapter manuscript critique -- up to 10k words.

Jennifer Ruth Jackson said...

The auction sounds like a wonderful thing to do for Queena! I hope it's a huge success.

About rejection: Some of us will never develop that thick skin everyone claims is necessary. And I think it's fine. You just have to love writing more than you hate rejection. It's what keeps me submitting. Oh, and hope.

Carol Riggs said...

What a great idea for Queena, the fundraising. That's a really informative and touching video. And you are so right about rejection; it's so common in all areas of life and other creative endeavors. Keep GOING!!

Sandra Cox said...

I'd be happy to send a couple of books.
sandracox@gmail.com

ogi nayo said...



thanks for the info
Penyakit Jantung

ogi nayo said...



thanks for the info
Penyakit Jantung

Cortney Pearson said...

My heart goes out to Queena, and if you're still open to it, I'd love to donate some books!
cortney.j.pearson@gmail.com

And I'm with you on the rejection thoughts. It definitely takes courage to keep moving forward, but we learn from it and become better for it!

indra.alami said...

Di tunggu update selanjutnya gan

obat darah rendah
obat hidung tersumbat pada anak
obat penyempitan pembuluh darah
obat infeksi ginjal pada anak
obat infeksi saluran kemih pada anak
obat kolesterol anak
obat alami batu empedu
cara mengobati kista
obat nyeri menstruasi
benjolan dipayudara
meningkatkan daya tahan tubuh
obat kista ovarium
obat menghancurkan batu ginjal
kanker paru-paru
oabt keputihan
obat sakit pinggangDi tunggu update selanjutnya gan

obat darah rendah
obat hidung tersumbat pada anak
obat penyempitan pembuluh darah
obat infeksi ginjal pada anak
obat infeksi saluran kemih pada anak
obat kolesterol anak
obat alami batu empedu
cara mengobati kista
obat nyeri menstruasi
benjolan dipayudara
meningkatkan daya tahan tubuh
obat kista ovarium
obat menghancurkan batu ginjal
kanker paru-paru
oabt keputihan
obat sakit pinggang

obat herbal sipilis said...

solusi pengobatan penyakit sipilis secara alami

Obat Herbal Sipilis

Nayo Herbal said...

The first visit, greeting healthy

Obat gagal jantung kongesif

robi gaspar said...

This article gives me a very valuable experience at all, thank you very much
obat klep jantung herbal
cara lami menyembuhkan mioma uteri
cara alami menyembuhkan cacar air
cara alami menyembuhkan bronkitis
cara alami menyembuhkan maag akut

rdimas390 said...

Your article really gave me the inspiration to further the spirit of living life.
Suplemen Untuk Pertumbuhan Anak

Ali basith said...

The information you provide As Helpful For I waiting for more information Not Lose Its attractive From Husband
Obat Tradisional Nyeri Pada Payudara
Obat Gagal Jantung Tanpa Operasi
Obat Kanker Payudara Tanpa Operasi
Obat Jantung Rematik Tanpa Operasi
Obat Komplikasi Asma Bronkial
Pengobatan Urat Syaraf Kejepit

Pengobatan herbal14 said...

very interesting article , other articles awaited :)Pengobatan Kista Ovarium Tanpa Operasi

Dhe Basith said...

Thank you for the information, do not forget to stop by my health website in the kidney herbal medicine and herbal medicine hypertension

Obat Herbal Mengik Terbaik
how to treat chest pain Left
Treatment of Ovarian Cysts Without opersi
Treatment Give - Give Naturally

Obat Alami said...

okayy ==>> Pengobatan Alami Batuk Berdahak

Kquotes Com said...

http://kquotes.com/

Dhe Basith said...

Thank you for the information, I was your loyal visitors , and therefore I ask my permission to attach information about the health below , may be useful for all ..

Diabetes Information
Asam Urat Information
Stroke Information
Healty Information
Hipertensi

tradisional nha said...

Cara Alami Menyembuhkan Infeksi Paru Paru Tradisional

Obat Penghancur Batu Empedu Herbal |
Racikan Obat Tradisional Asam Urat Secara Alami

Dhe Basith said...

So nice artikel sir

Obat Mujarab said...

good job for all :) ==>> Obat Tradisional Tuberkulosis yang Alami dan Mujarab

Obat Herbal Tuberculosis

Pengobatan Alami Tuberkulosis

Nabila Kirana said...

This is indeed a very interesting story to the point that I do not get tired of reading it several times, waiting for stories attract more others.

Member Green World Indonesia
Pasta Gigi Herbal
Colostrum Nutrient Green World
Obat Herbal Flek Paru Paru

sherlina halim said...

Pengen yang lebih seru ...
Ayo kunjungi www.asianbet77.com
Buktikan sendiri ..

Real Play = Real Money

- Bonus Promo Red Card pertandingan manapun .
- Bonus Mixparlay .
- Bonus Tangkasnet setiap hari .
- New Produk Sabung Ayam ( minimal bet sangat ringan ) .
- Referal 5 + 1 % ( seumur hidup ) .
- Cash Back up to 10 % .
- Bonus Royalty Rewards setiap bulan .

Untuk Informasi lebih jelasnya silahkan hubungi CS kami :
- YM : op1_asianbet77@yahoo.com
- EMAIL : melasian77cs@gmail.com
- WHATSAPP : +63 905 213 7234
- WECHAT : asianbet_77
- SMS CENTER : +63 905 209 8162
- PIN BB : 2B4BB06A / 28339A41

Salam Admin ,
asianbet77.com

Download Disini

Pengobatan Herbal said...

information which is very interesting , I like and I wait for the continuation of the newest information..... .

Ahlinya Penyakit said...

thanks for article , im very-very like this article.

Dhe Basith said...

Her article is very unique.. interesting , let alone be the object in it is so beautiful.. i like it.....

RatnaSuci said...

Obat Alami Mani Encer

Penyebab Obesitas dan cara mengatasinya

Obat Penambah IQ Anak

Obat Penyakit ISPA Anak dan Dewasa

Obat herbal alami flek paru

Obat penyakit maag yang sudah terlalu parah